4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 3:36 AM by saishyda

There's talk of educating girls, but how about educating boys to deal with girls?

Radha2010

How many principals, for instance, have either the will or the skill to gender-sensitise our teaching faculties?

Read an Interesting article by  former principal, Welham Boys' School, Dehradun.

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/toi-edit-page/theres-talk-of-educating-girls-but-how-about-educating-boys-to-deal-with-girls/

Share your views...

• Re: There's talk of educating girls, but how about educating boys to deal with girls?
          anoop.rawat429

An interesting article to shackle the nerve of the education system and society at large. But my simple question is " How many of us teach or practice what we say/write or think?" Sensitization does not alone comes by articles or one stand alone action. It has to be kind of revolution and more so revolution from within each individual.

Every single time whenever talk or discussion on 'Gender' happens it focus only on 'Girl Child' where as to  me Gender include both Masculine and Feminine. It's the very nature of our thinking that makes the Girl as weaker gender.

I dare to ask one thing when we talk about Gender 'Why don't we talk about Boys also?'

• Re: There's talk of educating girls, but how about educating boys to deal with girls?
              don_sahk@yahoo.com.ph

I agree with your view Anoop. Gender-sensitive programs are always inclined towards the welfare of the female whereas it could also be programmed as mutually beneficial to both sexes. It is the mindset as you say. But even with the female-empowerment, there is still a thin line that tips the male-female equality of status and this is not because the female is the lesser gender but because common sense would dictate that the female is physically and physiology different. This difference from the male gender is what makes them vulnerable but  not necessarily weak.

anoop.rawat429

Totally agreed with your view point. This is something which needs to be stressed upon and not the issue which takes the entire discussions at forums to totally different domain of 'weaker sex/vulnerable sex' etc  That is why I believe schools are the right place where this education on Gender Issues (Both male & female) should be talked about in more open ways rather than is hush up mode. And for this our school leaders and teachers have to first believe in this kind of mindset and prepare themselves. As still in many school women teachers shy away from 'Sex education' topics or chapters specially if they are dealing a co-ed class.

saishyda

Hi Radha , more than the boys alone you need to educate the parents on gender sensitivity and the society,

When are we going to understand that feelings of a girl child is the same as a boy child.

Basic needs are the same therefore why not have equality in opportunity and greater equality in Acceptance.

Because no human can put proteins, carbohydrates , oxygen , carbon , Hydrogen, nitrogen to synthesize and create another living human being in labs at till date . It is the  Nature's system of reproduction that  creates us. It is our responsibility as a society to nurture the understanding of accepting girl child and  boy child as a human being , with equal responsibilities towards life and it's achievements and failures.