17 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 5:32 PM by Bonnie Feather

Introducing a project.

Hi , Everyone in the community,

I am Zahinah Zahoor from Govt. comprehensive Girls High School. I teach Chemistry to grade 9th  and 10th. I am planning to teach two of my units through Project. These are

1.      Food preservation.

2.      Metallurgy of Iron.

I  hereby every one from the community to suggest me Essential and Unit questions for the above mentioned topics. My last unit was Chemical Bonding. I am attaching unit plan for the comments.

awaiting for the replies.

Zahinah.

• Re: Introducing a project.

Zahinah, I see that you are new to the community and let me just say welcome. Now, to answer your question for an EQ, how about "How do we keep it fresh"?  Science is not my forte, but I see "Food Preservation" as the treating and handling food to stop or greatly slow down spoilage. But,  I can also see my suggested EQ as being used in music and literature. Another one that just came to mind was "Can't we all just get along"?  Not very original, but maybe you can think about that one as well.

For a possible Unit Question how about "How can we keep good things from going bad"?

Remember, I'm just brainstorming here.  Hopefully you will get some responses from someone who really understands your subject.

Neil

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Hi ,Mr. Neil

Thanks for saying welcome to me in community. I have joined it in March 2010. Recently I am engaged in Essential Cource Version10.1 as Master Trainer.

I welcome your E.Q suggestions. They are good brainstormer. Thakns again.

Regards ,

Zahinah

glen_w

Zahinah,

I like how open ended your Essential Question is. "Why do we live in a community?" is a concept that can fit science, social science, music, and other areas as well. I think the idea that chemical bonds help atoms form a "community" is unique for a chemistry course. It is interesting to note that your unit relates chemistry so well to community. I've often seen Essential Questions that are more "Unit Question" in nature. You have created a fun Unit causing your students to consider how atoms are like people. Too often I think science teachers do not consider relating concepts to life. I look forward to hearing more about how your students do with this unit - and learning more about Chemical Bonding.

You caused me to wonder ... what do you think you would have used for a unit question or Essential Question if you were studying pH?

Hello Mr. Glen,

Thanks for appreciating my EQ about chemical Bomding. My students took it successfully to under stand the concept.

I am attaching the sudents work of first group also for your valuable  comments.

As far as the EQ about PH is concerned  question immediately came to my mind  ,

What is the universal color of danger?

Thanks again

Zahinah

Zahinah, I hope you don't mind me looking at you PowerPoint.  What a great job.  It is evident that your students really understand the comcept of community, both with people and atoms.

What type of project did your students do as they studied this unit?

Neil

Hello, Mr. Neil,

I am thakful for watching and appreciating  my students presentation.My students worked in four groups.There tasks were as follows,

Group 1:     To make real life connections and introduce concept of chemical bond.

Group 2:     To explain phenomenon and types of Bonding.

Group 3:     Design and perform lab activities to study the natur of bonding and properties of compounds.They made posters and lowcost models.

Group 4:     This group tried to create fun while studying this unit.

Each group prepared their Power Point presentstion.

I am uploading rest of three presentations for your comments and suggestions.

Zahinah.

Zahinah, thank you so much for sharing your students work.  I especially liked the "comics" from Group 4. Those were very well done, and they used humor to show their understanding of a complex subject.  Thanks to your Group 3 students for showing me everyday uses of the chemical communities.  I also appreciate your Group 3 for helping me to understand what the bonds look like.  Great job!

Thank you for having your students look at this subject from different viewpoints.  What a great way to share the same material.

Neil

Mr. Neil,

Thanks for appreciating my students' work.  I tried to make the boring and dry subject of Chemistry (as  students say)  intresting for them.

You are quite right that  this community is providing a good channel for sharing experiences and view points, which in opinion will help to enhance the teaching abilities of teachers. I will  like sharing my projects and wellcom eyour valuable comments.

Thanks and best regards,

Zahinah

glen_w

Zahinah,

I enjoyed reviewing your student's PowerPoint. It seemed they understood the concept of Chemical Bonding. I liked how well they compared Chemical Bonding with communities people belong to.

I'm interested in how you created an Essential Question for pH and related it to the Universal Color for Danger. What other subject areas do you see this Essential Question being used with? I find it difficult to always use Essential Questions. Do you use Essential Questions with every unit?

Mr. Glen,

Thanks  for watching and appreciating it .  In this projct students made four presentations. I am uploading rest three today , and will wait for your comments.

I always try to introdue my projects throuh essential question. It helps to make real world connections, especially while teaching Chemistry. As you know all concepts in the Chemistry are theoratical and students feel them difficult to understand them.

It also helps to build inter diciplinary approach.

As far as the my suggested EQ is concerned it canbe used in Social sciences as well.

You know colors are everywhere in our life. Red traffic light, signals of danger on electricity  poles, colors for expessions as for love and hate etc. Simillarly Acidic , Basic and Neutral compounds show specific colors in thier solutions.  We all know that acids are dangerous and they show red color on PH parer.I think the question What is the universal color of danger? will be an intresting one to introduce the unit of PH.

More over I have selected two units

1. Metallurgy of Iron.

2. Preservation of food. in this year

I am in search of Essential questions  Would you like to suggest ?

Zahinah

glen_w

Zahinah,

Your student group PowerPoints demonstrate how differently students think. I enjoyed seeing all groups' work. Some groups were much deeper in their thinking than the other groups were. I thought each group did a good job of showing their knowledge of the assigned topic.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on an Essential Question for pH. This is not something I teach in Middle School - but I was interested in how a Chemistry teacher might incorporate Essential Questions in it.

Here is my idea of an Essential Question for the Metallurgy of Iron: "Why should change be allowed?" I can see it fitting Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, English, and the Arts. Is this too wide open of a question for what you want to do?

Glen,

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions, and I  think the question you proposed is really helpful, and it does fit into several categories...

I thought I could use it as an Essential Question, and then forward the discussion by touching on how metallurgy has  brought about advancements in our industries to our daily lives.

Thanks again for your suggestion. I will keep updating you on any further projects and this one as well. Please do the same; I find this a very usful and informative channel of communication.

Zahinah.

glen_w

Zahinah,

I am glad you like the Essential Question idea I suggested. I will continue to interact on this community and am glad you will as well.

We complete our school year this month (May). When do you finish your school year? Perhaps we can continue this discussion longer before you end your school year.

Mr.Glen,

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. I would like to be keep sharing in future as well.

Our new acedamic session starts in April. Thats why I am planning to introduce my new project of this year with my class of grade ten.

We will have summer break in June ,so the students will have time to work on their project during summer vacartion. I will continue updating you about my project.

What subjects do you teach and to which grade? I teach Mathematics also to grade 9 & 10. I wish to do a  project in maths also, may be next year.

I really liked your EQ. I was in search of it and could not find an appropriate  one.

Thanks and hoping for fruit full discussions in future.

Zahinah

glen_w

Zahinah,

I teach grades 7 - 9 at a Middle School in Utah. My students are between the ages of 12 and 15. I only teach science. I teach about the structure of matter, structure of Earth, structure of Cells to my 7th grade students. I teach Biology to my 9th grade students. I have not taught 8th grade in the last two years. Topics in 8th grade are based on Changes (Chemical changes, Physical changes, and Energy changes.)

I look forward to seeing how your students do with their projects over the June break.

Mr.Glen,

As I told  I teach Chemisty and Mathematics to grade 9 and 10. Mine is a Girls High School, from grade 6 to 10. My students are 13 to 16 years of age.  I teach topics of Properties of different elememnts, Metallurgy, Different Industries, Organic Chemistry and food Preservation to 10th grade  students.

While in grade 9  I teach the topics, Introduction to Chemistry, Laws of Chemical combination, Periodicity of elements, Chemocal Bonding, States of Matter, Solutions, Electrochemistry, acids and Bases, and chemical Kinetics.

I plan to introduce my project about Food Preservation during this week. I will keep in touch as my project proceeds.

Zahinah

• Welcome Zahina!
                                          Bonnie Feather

Hello and welcome to the Engage Community!  It is a wonderful place to learn about technology integration!

I am primarily a primary school teacher, so I cannot give you much feedback regarding Unit Questions, but I have been thinking about the two units you mentioned: Preventing food spoilage and Iron Metallurgy.  They both seem to be affected by chemistry.  Of course, food spoilage is a large problem for many people in the world.  Will you start by thinking of what makes food fresh and wholesome before it spoils?  In preserving food, we often need to change the chemical nature of it, but preserve its nutritive value.  We are not striving to keep it "as it is" when it is fresh.You are really wanting to retain the best qualities of the food.

Iron metallurgy is the study of the characteristics of iron, right?And it has to do with changing its characteristics to give the iron more appropriate characteristics for a variety of uses, I think.

In thinking about an Essential Question which could be used for both units, how about "What is the essence?"  or "What makes it useful?"  "How can we make it better?"  These are very general, open-ended questions to think about.

Bonnie