4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2015 8:28 PM by glen_w

Where's your technology "beef"?

julesfischy

This week on the K-12 Blueprint Elliott Levine Shared the blog Elliott's Two Cents - “Where's the Beef” When It Comes to Your Tech Investments?

Elliott shared that as schools are getting new technology parents are starting to ask "where's the beef " meaning how is technology being utilized in meaningful ways?  He also shared that many districts are unaware of the resources and tools provided by Project Red to help districts plan for success. He then went on to share  how Huntsville City Schools is doing it right. 

What professional development strategies does your district have in place to ensure success with technology initiatives? 

• Re: Where's your technology "beef"?
          don_sahk@yahoo.com.ph

Most schools feel that when they have the technology, they have the benefit of technology as well. I think there is more than a thin line that bisects the difference between these two. Though my school was equipped with 50 brand new desktop units last year loaded with a learning package that allows the teacher to monitor and track the progress of every student who logs in for a specific lesson, our  school coordinator could not even open the main server at first. To this date, almost 1 full school year passed and the units are still practically unused. I believe that packaging technology in one to one ratio does not guarantee a maximum benefit. The procurement of these tools should go hand in hand with the  proper training on its use and I think this is the area where teachers here in my place need most so we can also get the "beef" out of all these investments.

julesfischy

Professional Development/Training is a key component of successful technology integration.  I hope that your district has started making more training opportunities available to teachers to ensure maximum use of technology.  If you have teachers that are self-motivated they can learn a lot from the Intel Teach Elements Courses - we share these courses as well as other Professional Development Materials in the K-12 Professional Learning section of the Engage Community.

don_sahk@yahoo.com.ph

I fully agree with this point of view. It is not the lack of technology that hampers the accessibility to its benefits but the lack of technical skill to access. This may not be a problem in your part of the world but for us, it still is.  I am taking one of Intel Teach Elements Courses and this is how I came to engage with you and the rest. I am learning!! It is such a wonderful experience to learn something from those who have expertise on the field of technology in education.

glen_w

For the last few years, my district has awarded "Pedagogical Innovator" grants. Teachers decide what technology would best help their students. I appreciate the open nature of the grant application. Teachers know what might help their students learn content best. Each month, these grant awardees meet for two hours. During this time they have discussions on how pedagogy can change by using technology. Discussions this year included: our state technology association, social media (Twitter, FaceBook, etc.), NETS for Teachers, NETS for Students, web 2.0 tools, apps for various platforms, and my favorite: the Connected Educator. (I saw the agenda mention Connected Educator and quickly got permission to have a Skype call with our own Intel Engage susangauthier.

There are many different technology tools being used by teachers in our meetings. Everyone, however, is excited to participate and learn how tools may benefit student learning. I am excited that these Pedagogical Innovators continue learning. I think teachers should understand how implementing technology will benefit learning - not just have the tools in their room and "hope it happens."