15 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 8:37 AM by azneil

Video palindrome for some Monday inspiration

tlmaves

This was posted on You Tube 2 years ago but I just discovered it via a colleague.

It was submitted for an AARP contest titled "u @ 50" by a 20-year old. 

A brilliant 1 minute, 44 second video. It would be interesting to hear the reaction of high school or college age students and see if this resonates with them as as a whole.

• Re: Video palindrome for some Monday inspiration

Theresa, what a powerful video.  I have seen several of these types of palindromes over the past several years, but this one, in terms of it's statements on our society are quite interesting.  Much has been said about the "Y" generation, at least I think that is the one they are talking about in the video.  Only time will tell.  If we don't engage today's students in a more meaningful way, we may loose a generation.  That is why, at least in my humble opinion, we must educate "the powers that be in education" the need to look at different ways (PBL) to teach.  We should be teaching kids to think, not take tests.

Neil

glen_w

Neil's comments made me wonder ... is it possible for us to motivate and encourage the changing of how students are evaluated. I agree that Project Based Learning is motivational for students. Whenever I've had a project in my classroom my students seem to find greater enjoyment of what we are studying.

I think Neil hit a home-run ... this group knows deeper thinking as well as Project Based Learning! What kind of a National Education Assessment could we help promote that indicates how well students can think? What must such assessments include so government officials and teachers will all agree the assessments measure thinking skills? Is there a way to include measurement of student Technology skills as well as content skills? Remember Neil's point ... we are not trying to create a "TEST" - so my take is "No Multiple Choice" questions!

Glen, as I read your post I began to think about other types of assessments and one of the first ones to come to mind was for each student to create their own ePortfolio.  This is being done in several areas, and I wonder if it would be possible to put such a statewide or nationwide initiative in place.  I tend to lean more to statewide, as each state is responsible for its educational system.  As I see it, the ePortfolio would follow the student all through their K-12 education.  The states would set the criteria for what would be considered acceptable.  Now we have a paper trail, done electronically, of course, that goes from grade to grade with the student.

I would be interested in yours or anyone elses thoughts on the subject.

Neil

glen_w

Neil,

I think the idea of an ePortfolio would be an incredible method to assess such unique abilities. I like how this portfolio would follow a student from K-12!

My questions on the topic:

1. What kinds of rubrics and expectations of material should be expected in such an ePortfolio?
                      2. What evidences of comprehension would be needed for businesses to recognize learning?
                      3. How much training would the average (Non-Intel trained) teacher need to implement an ePortfolio?

Who wants to put together a sample ePortfolio I could show to my Tech Director? (I see another pilot project in the making!)

Glen,  1) in terms of the rubrics, expectations and materials in the ePortfolio, I would expect no less than what we use presently.  I say that thinking about the Intel TwT and the Essentials courses I have taught over the past couple of years.  The main difference is that it is done electronically.  In the Essentials Module 5 we have our teachers create the rubrics for the content of the student sample.  Nothing has changed.  Rubrics for the ePortfolio itself would have to be created, but that is doable.  2) In Arizona we have ABEC.  It is a partnership between business and education.   These two groups work together for the betterment of the student.  In fact, the Intel Teach Program won the AZ award for the best partnership and then went on to win the National Governor's Award for the same partnership.  We already have in place a fantastic program that can be shared with the rest of the world!  3) In terms of training for the teacher, I have no idea how much time that would take.  Districts may want to pilot the program with a cross section of technology experience to see how it goes.  That would be an interesting study.  :-)

Neil

glen_w

Neil,

I remember that Arizona was recognized with the National Governor's Award. I think you and the other Arizona Intel Teach trainers may be in an excellent position to promote such an ePortfolio. You have provided good ideas on how rubrics and expectations could be implemented based on Intel Teach trainings.

I look forward to hearing your name in the news as the promoter of this awesome idea!

Glen, I was finishing up an Essentials Face to Face training in Lake Havasu this past weekend and the IT head and I were discussing this very topic.  He is wanting to pilot a program like this, so, we may get our wish.  It is a charter school, and his motto for the lab is "Monitor, don't block"!  It could be interesting.

Neil

glen_w

Neil,

I knew there is a reason this community ROCKS! Great thinking occurs sometimes before the opportunities present themselves. I look forward to hearing the successes and challenges the charter school faces. I will share any progress I am able to help make happen as well.

I like the lab motto "Monitor, don't block." Do other community members know of any similar mottos being used? I'd love to compare similar mottos.

I like the idea of e portfolio but I would also like to see an on demand scenario that students would need to respond to how they might address a problem or situation. If we want them to be problem solvers and prepare them for the world beyond school then we have to set up situations where they need practice to problem solve. It would also help some of those students that are great test takers and can memorize to think a little differently and challenge them a little more to expand their thinking.

glen_w

JoAnn,

Thanks for reminding us that school involves an entire community and/or the world. Without real world situations, students do not learn to problem solve as well. Providing the problems or situations they need to solve may well help them develop these problem solving skills.

How do you see this aspect of an ePortfolio being developed? What evidence of student learning can be shown to politicians or community leaders? What will best persuade community leaders that this is "real learning?"

One of the projects that one of the teachers I was working with involved students designing a mountain bike trail in our area. They incorporated GPS technology to see where would be the best location for the bike trail and did a lot of research regarding soil, erosion, topography, weathering, and generally the geology of the area. Based on all this information they needed to make a decision regarding the best place to create this trail. On Friday I am going to the school and each team is going to try and "sell" their idea based on their research, presentation and problem solving skills. (This teacher came up with this project after she took the PBL Elements course.) They could include this presentation in a portfolio.

But possibly after they had completed an assignment like this maybe they could be given some information regarding another situation for building a highway or mall or something else that is considering being built in their area and make some decisions about what needs to be done. That was you would see if the student can transfer some of those skills learned in another situation given the information and you would also be able to see if they can distinguish what information is relevant for the situation and what is not.

glen_w

JoAnn,

What an excellent example of Project Based Learning! I am planning to share the idea with my principal tomorrow morning. We would not use the same project, but it may help him see how Elements may benefit our students.

I think you've given us a great suggestion about how Project Based Learning may be incorporated into an ePortfolio.

Our challenge now is to design an appropriate rubric that will work for multiple grade levels and multiple projects. (If we attempt to design an ePortfolio that can be used nationwide.)