14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 11:20 AM by susangauthier

Find Your Groove at Home and Work

Warning: If you are not a fan of Oprah's Ah Ha moments or Dr. Phil's touchy feely self reflections then you may want to stop reading..... Today is a big day for me. I have not been on the community for a while because something got the best of me...my job! I have been consumed with my job. I really thought if I spent all waking hours handling tasks that my work load would get lighter....if I finish these things then next week or month I will have some free time...Boy, was I wrong! My best teaching friend not only made me go shopping for vintage jewelry (my most favorite thing to do) but she handed me this book - The Sweet Spot: How to Find Your Groove at Home and Work. I spent last week reading and let me just give you a snap shot of my takeaways so far:

1. Don't numb out with things like alcohol, drugs, compulsive eating or checking email and facebook - Replace self criticism with self compassion

2. When we hold ourselves accountable then the put ourselves in a better place to get back on track

3. Adversity carries a gift - the opportunity to learn from our mistakes

These may seem obvious to you but when you get wrapped up in something like a job you lose your common sense. I am not going to let my work take away the things I enjoy like getting to hang out with the amazing folks in this community. One of the things I have decided to do is blog about my experiences as a library services director in the community- we have some amazing things going on in our libraries and I want to share...note: this will help me with all the 3 takeaways above. Have you struggled with the mix of home and work? How to do keep keep the two from colliding? See you online!

• Re: Find Your Groove at Home and Work
          glen_w

Susan,

Finding balance in life should be a goal for everyone. I'm always impressed when I am on the interview committee with my principal. He asks all applicants (teachers and support staff) what they do to personally recharge after a busy day. It does not seem to matter what their relaxation choice is - just that they have a way to recharge. I like to recharge as I leave work by riding my bicycle as often as possible. I find by the time I arrive home all work concerns have left my mind. Cycling into work in the mornings allows me to refocus prior to arriving. As a side benefit, my principal encourages cycling to district meetings whenever possible. I appreciate these opportunities to recharge.

When I am home, I enjoy time with my wife and family. After enjoying dinner together we often discuss plans for the evening. When time permits, I  log into the Intel Engage community or do other online activities such as facilitating online courses. I always look for ways to keep "family first." This philosophy helps me remember to look for balance in all aspects of my life.

julesfischy

Susan- first of all congratulations on the new job!  How exciting!!!

Life is all about finding balance. Last month - I started giving myself 15 minutes a day to do whatever I wanted. I know it sounds short- but between, work, family and friends sometimes getting quality time for myself just doesn't happen.  Some days I would read a book, sometimes I would go outside and sit in the sun to decompress before going back to work, a couple of times I took a 15 minute nap.  I really think that taking time for me- helped me see better ways to balance my life. 

What technology tools do you use to help you manage your "balance"? 

glen_w

I like the idea of an afternoon nap! My go technology tool is currently Sunrise calendar. It is currently available for Mac OSX desktop, iOS, and Android. It was recently acquired by Microsoft. I, therefore expect to see a Windows version available soon. I have Sunrise syncing with Evernote which is linked to my email. My "to do list" is also on Evernote. I schedule time for me and am reminded each day to take advantage of that time.

I look forward to ideas from others in the Intel Engage community on the technologies they use to balance their lives.

Thanks Julia - I do love my new job more and more now that I am finding the balance! I love that you ask about technology tools. My schedule was so busy that I had to go back to a day planner. I couldn't keep up with all my appointments but now that I read Glen's techie organized post I am thinking of some techie options for staying organized!

cgardne

Susan,

Congratulations on your new adventure.  I know you'll do wonderful.

As you mentioned some days seem like we just never can get caught up. A week ago, our minister shared such a wonderful suggestion that we begin doing daily.  He suggested finding a quiet place and just relax for 10-15 minutes.  Take your shoes off, close your eyes. I did take his suggestion, and after just 4 days, I've found that I have become more energized and better focused than before.  I could complete tasks much quicker.

Take that 10-15 minutes, find a quiet place and just relax.  I can say it works wonders.

smersand

Susan,

I thought of your post today when I was completely overwhelmed by the piles of paperwork, orders to submit, lessons to write, and videos to create. I reached for a pen and paper to make my To-Do list...and stopped. Instead, I got up from my desk, I looked around the library, and I settled my eyes on a student who was sitting alone.

I went over to her and engaged her in conversation about her day. Before I knew it, there were 8 of us at the table, discussing self-esteem, cyber-bullying, and coping mechanisms. I spent the last 2 hours of my day with this group of young women, and while the pile still awaits, I left work today feeling relaxed, refreshed, and like I had a purpose.

Shannon

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

From time to time you need to recharge your strength, Doing anything you love to , I like walking or playing with babies ,Othertimes going to Gym

A new idea to conquer my challenge to find balance is to declutter my house. I know they always say a decluttered house means a decluttered mind. Of course as a librarian...I am going to get a book so I have been reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing - Any thoughts or strategies on  decluttering....