4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 2:30 PM by pbhanney

21st Century Kids

I came across this Intel video again and don't recall if someone has posted a link to it yet or not. It's called "I Remember," and the 21st Century are the stars.    http://www.guide2digitallearning.com/page/i_remember

I remember 300 baud dialup being so slow that I could drive across town and hand hard copy to someone faster than emailing it.

I remember Commodore computers, Atari computers, Tandy Computer kits, and Amigas.

I realize the kids in the video are actors, but I wonder what we all remember and how accurately kids as young as those in the video know overall?  What do YOU remember? What will kids today remember?

• Re: 21st Century Kids
          glen_w

David,

It may be a commercial, but the content is excellent! I remember my wife's smile when we upgraded from at 26.6K modem to Fiber and started getting speeds of 14 - 20 Mbps. Previously she did not like pages that had more than 2 images on them. Streaming video is now common in our home. I personally remember trying to FTP upload files to update my server. I started the process and then lit the Barbeque, cooked, and ate dinner. Sometimes my files were uploaded by that time.

You hit an important idea. We all carry memories with us. Most are pleasant memories - some less pleasant.

I'd like community members to remember and tell their "technology horror stories." How has technology improved to make life easier and better for you? (By the way David; Was the Commodore a VIC-20, PET, or 64?)

The Commodore was a 64, Glen. Then along came the 128. The 64 is STILL a superior machine for printing graphic fonts as I recall.

I don't understand the logical connection between this thread and horror stories, but I have a million of them. For example, the earliest hard drive I could afford was 20 megs. I used a program I can't recall the name of right now to double the space available through compression. My darling wife used the same machine to create her high school year book as the sponsor. About a month after the compression software was installed, she turned on the computer and the compression software failed, the FAT was destroyed, and all her 150+ year book pages were gone. Fortunately, I had previosuly invested in some 3.5" discs just for her and had asked to back up her data daily onto them. She did lose what she had worked on the evening before, but everything else was intact, thanks be! I reinstalled DOS and her yearbook software plus I restored her data. My life was not forfeit. I have plenty of other horror stories, but this one will always stand out.

glen_w

Dave,

I also enjoyed using a Commodore 64! How well I remember entering Basic code so we could play games. For a while, I could not afford a tape recorder to save data onto. This required that we reenter all the code to play the game again another day.

The "horror story" idea may be poor wording on my behalf. I am more thinking about challenges that we faced with earlier technology - that may not be a problem today. I liked your floppy disk back-up story! How many different back-up methods do you employ today? How much data could you lose at once if you did not have a backup?

This video was awesome! I always tell my computer students that dial-up was VERY productive. You could click on a link, then go to the bathroom, mow the lawn, make a sandwich, take a nap, and then the page would finally be loaded <sarcasm>. This high-speed stuff is way over-rated. I don't get as much done around the house as I did before (do I sound like the Slowskys?).

• I remember when you had to hook the computer up to the TV to make it work. My dad had both a Sinclair ZX-80 and then a ZX-81 (http://bit.ly/9bGP6P and http://bit.ly/59wrAf).

• I also remember having ONE computer in my elementary school in the Library. A wonderful Radio Shack TRS-80 (http://bit.ly/v7tOg)!

• I remember when you had to use tapes for all of your programs. You remember having to start the tape at the precise moment and then having to rewind again because the program didn't load correcty? I do.

Ah, the memories!