25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2015 8:09 AM by glen_w

Classroom Challenge – Going Mobile – March 2015

holmesg

Are you ready for mobile learning?  We live in an age of technical mobility, with mobile devices, such as PDAs, phones, or MP3 players a routine part of our dress. People are constantly on the move, learning against time, place, space and pace.  Mobile devices allow impromptu learning while building on personal knowledge, skills, reasoning, and experiences while engaging with surroundings.  Teachers can send reminders to students and parents, share data and resources, respond to questions, provide comments and place the power and control of learning in the hands of students.  Using mobile devices to take notes, facilitates “on the go” learning and provides an opportunity to leverage knowledge through research and review of notes as necessary.  Students can use online note taking tools such as penzu on laptop computers, quick note on the chromebook or any of the apps: Noteshelf, Mighty Notes, or NoteLedge shared in this month’s classroom challenge.

Notes on the Go

noteshelf.png

Noteshelf

Mighty Notes.png

Mighty Notes

NoteLedge.png

NoteLedge

Overview

Noteshelf allows you to write your notes by hand, type, or draw. You can save the notes, add pictures, and e-mail note as an image or pdf.

Mighty Notes combines handwriting, recording, typing, import and export of images and PDF files.

NoteLedge combines handwriting, typing, photo-editing, audio and video recording. It includes, “Navigator”, a gadget that provides ability to crop  selected content

Cost

Noteshelf  Lite – free

Full version 5.99

Mighty Notes lite - Free

Full version 2.99

NoteLedge Lite - Free

Noteledge Premium 4.99

Features

• Take notes, annotate PDFs, sketch ideas, fill forms, print documents
      • Handwriting with customizable width and color, print documents
      • Import from box, google drive, iTunes, drop box, livescribe, photo album
      • Send individual pages via email, twitter or facebook
      • Notebook settings include page level, notebook level and global settings.
      • Use tags to organize notes
      • Variety of Book covers, and pages
      • Zoom View
      • Palm Guard

Note book covers housed on bookshelf for easy viewing and access

• Handwriting with customizable width and color, print documents
      • Zoom view
      • Pasteboard holds up to 50 drawn object and text clips
      • Palm guard
      • Record up to 2 hours of audio for each note
      • Unlimited undo and redo
      • Unlimited pages for notes
      • Over 20 backgrounds
      • Import pictures and PDF files from iPad album or Mighty Notes document folder. Sync with dropbox
      • Export notes as PNG, JPEG, PDF to
      • Email notes as PNG, JPEG, or PDF

Search notes by name and description

• Switch between drawing utensils, change colors, insert tables, change font size and color
      • Add audio, images
      • Search for notes by date or title
      • Email notes to facebook and other social sites
      • Save to camera roll, upload to dropbox, google or other cloud services.
      • Add password and save as PDF
      • Enter presentation mode
      • Turn off editing
      • Use navigator to crop, navigate to web pages, etc.

Gallery with custom templates and  paper

Tutorials

http://goo.gl/M1m7kM

http://goo.gl/Lm4ZGx

http://youtu.be/4XesnB6tBbk

Lesson Ideas

Being able to take good notes is an essential part of learning.  There are a variety of ways note taking can be used to impact learning:

• upload pdfs and make annotations
      • add audio comments to reference or emphasize a point
      • transform written notes to text
      • create notes, draw or upload images to facilitate understanding
      • create, import , export or email documents as necessary to build upon knowledge
      • index and search through notes for future reference. 

Because apps can be downloaded on smart phones with the ability to access notes as often as needed, students can determine the time, place and space that is best for them to study and work to master a concept.  With mobile devices, educators have the opportunity to design learning differently. Students can collaborate with peers in real and virtual worlds; participate in learning communities formed by classmates, record notes, and provide shared knowledge and expertise on demand.  Mobile learning notes allow students to take learning with them into the world.  Students can research unclear information, highlight, circle, draw or make reference to clarify information. 

What opportunities are you providing students to enhance learning?  In what ways can or are you using mobile devices and digital note taking tools to allow students to capture information?  How can you use note taking, whether with lap tops and online resources or apps on mobile learning devices to capture data and place students in control of their learning? 

• Re: Classroom Challenge – Going Mobile – March 2015
          glen_w

Gail,

This is an interesting topic given a conversation I had today. A newer teacher asked me "So, do you think we could consider going 'paperless' with our classes?" We had an excellent discussion about what might be involved in making the switch. Your suggestions will add to our discussion!

I hope others in the Intel Engage community will share ideas they have on what mobile tools might help teachers go 'paperless!'

holmesg

Glen,

The next logical step is paperless.  Many districts have adopted some learning management systems (LMS) such as moodle, schoology, edmondo, blackboard, etc. to upload and download documents to the internet for classroom instruction. for students to submit artifacts for learning, flipping the classroom,  etc.  If it should become necessary for students to print documents i.e. to submit documents requiring a hand signatures; apps such as Printer Pro can be downloaded to the mobile device and used to send the document from the mobile device to the printer.  The device must be paired with the computer that is attached to the printer.  If a printer with blue tooth is being used, the device can print directly to the printer.  Although going paperless is the goal, it may not be possible to go cold turkey all at once!

glen_w

Gail,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will share these with my peer when we get the chance to talk again. I was pleased with the idea (even though I know going cold turkey all at once might not be possible.) At least the concept is being considered.

I know it is possible to change a "worksheet" to be filled in as a "Google Form." This technically qualifies as "paperless." Do you think it would be better to alter the assignment allowing students to explore and explain at a deeper DoK level than just completing a worksheet online?

holmesg

Glen,

I believe that it is not about the worksheet, it about the questions we pose.  You can create an activity that involves deeper thinking and have students summarize, reflect, etc. through the google form or document.  The google form could be used to provide directions, tutorials, etc to guide students.  Using the guidance provided, students could then use any of a number of tools to create an artifact to demonstrate mastery learning.

holmesg

Glen,

Teachers should consider level of thought when designing lessons/activities/questions to support deeper thinking.  Designing educational activities with the end in mind can help to create questions to promote critical thinking.  Explore "The New Bloom's Taxonomy", Hess's Cognitive Rigor Matrix and Curricular Examples,  and Webb's Depth of Knowledge question stems to see how it can fit into your planning.  Good stuff!

glen_w

Gail,

You provide some excellent reminders. I spent four hours this past week working with my school's science team. We analyzed test questions for Depth of Knowledge. It was amazing how many questions we had written that were DoK level 3. We are now considering how to implement deeper rigor questions into daily student assignment. Thanks for the links and reminders.

ProfWhitby

Thanks, Gail.  I just downloaded the handouts!  This is a very informative discussion thread!

~Annette

holmesg

Annette,

Please share how you will use the documents so others may get the benefit of your expertise.

ProfWhitby

Re:  The DOK and Hess' Cognitive Rigor Matrix and Curricular Examples Handouts

The handouts (eg DOK handout) are a great resource to use when creating discussion comments and questions for my online courses.  The DOK handout helps to teachers to craft better stems, for example.

Also, I can see how the Level 4 DOK Extended Thinking components (found in the Hess' Cognitive Rigor handout) can be used to further explore my weekly Case Study exercises. (Students brief a Case Study each week.  Sample case:  Arthur Andersen, LLP v. United States. 544 U.S. 696 (U.S. Sup. Ct. 2005).  Retrieved from  http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/04-368.ZO.html )

Webb's DOK Level 4 Extended Thinking

Analyze multiple sources of evidence  (I like to include a resource Web link to an NPR audio.  It would be good to encourage students to include their research findings as well.)

Analyze complex / abstract themes 

Gather, analyze, and evaluate information

Follow-up comments can be developed along these guidelines to help students delve deeper into the materials.

~Annette

glen_w

My school just trained all teachers on DoK. I was pleased at how much I had previously learned about it from the Intel Engage community. My science team reviewed the next test we were giving to our 7th grade science students. We discovered 23% of the questions were DoK level 1, 70% were DoK level 2, and 27% were DoK level 3. The test was written before the training. We were concerned about how challenging the test might be for these students. To our surprise and excitement, the average score on the test was 86%. We are looking to check the DoK levels of all tests and assignments now.

holmesg

Annette,

My excitement and measure of student mastery after teaching a lesson is their ability to effectively interact in DOK level four.  I want their artifacts to demonstrate extended thinking.  Are they critiquing, analyzing, proving or applying concepts learned?  If I can see this in their artifacts, this is my "hallelujah" moment.  This demonstrates to me that they mastered the concepts; no test needed!

glen_w

I agree that interacting with Level 4 DoK is the best goal. I wonder how often we should try and get students to that level...

Once a day, once a week, once a month??? I look forward to the ideas from others.

ProfWhitby

To extend the online discussion, I tend to do Level 4 throughout the week using follow-up questions and comments.  For example, if the assigned case study deals with an employee getting fired for the improper use of a workplace email account, I will ask students to draft an email policy based on what they deem to be essential components of an effective policy.  I will also ask them what are some "best practices" for notifying employees about their "official email policy".  (They often reply with the need for training for the managers and supervisors who will then pass along the information to the employees on the floor - - - Some will explore how their written policy should be formatted / documented . . . Some will also add the fact that an employee's signature is needed regarding the received training.) If the students have further researched the topic, I also remind them to include appropriate citations 

Gail:  You're right regarding the need to explore Level 4 outside the traditional testing scenario.

~Annette

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

i will download all three and give them a try, thanks gail

glen_w

Yasser,

As you use these three consider which will benefit students at each Depth of Knowledge level. I find a need to focus on all four levels in my classroom. (I, however, do not always go from level one up to level four. Sometimes I start with a level three or four question and then help students with the background information they need to complete the level three or four assignment they were given.)