3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 11:38 AM by tlmaves

Got an answer? Essentials and the choir teacher

tlmaves

Is implementing effective technology applicable to all teachers? What about the choir teacher? The physical education teacher? What is your response to the following:

My district is requiring me to take the Intel Teach Program  Essentials Course during the summer. I am a choir teacher. What research and  experience do you have with how choir teachers (not general music teachers or  music theory teachers) are using this in the classroom and that it is effective?  I am looking at the collaborative element (I have no one with whom to  collaborate) and the daunting amount of homework required and I am extremely  skeptical.

The first thing I thought of was the hit series, Glee. The teacher portrayed is always assigning his students research and projects about the music they sing.

Any first hand experience out there?

• Re: Got an answer Essentials and the choir teacher

Theresa, I am a retired band director and would love to help the choir director.  I did one on music careers which involved the students "putting on a concert" as it were.  I have also had students rewrite lyrics to popular songs, create costumes and staging for a 5th grade state project.  After we did that the classes created a music video, with the lip sincing (???) and everything.

Neil

• Re: Got an answer? Essentials and the choir teacher

I have an answer, although it may be too late for the posting teacher. I am a 9-12 vocal music teacher and new member to the Intel site. I have been working with Project Based Learning prior to knowing what it was called. Described below is a project that I have just completed with my 2 choirs (124 students). Overall it was a success, a couple of poor projects, but the majority were very well done. This project was taking place while rehearsing related choral literature in class. I devoted between 6 & 8 actual class periods out of a 12 week trimester grading period. The majority of the work was completed by the students outside of our daily rehearsal/class period. The perceptive listening chart talked about in the project description is a formal listening chart used to teach the elements of music and how the elements are uniquely presented in music. (I believe there are many of these type of listening activities in general music textbooks for all ages readily available.) The technology used was video editing for some students and audio manipulation software by others. Additionally, most students used Google docs to collaborate on the writing aspect of the project. All students submitted reflection questions through a Google form with a link sent to their students email accounts.

Here is the scenario:

You work for the local television or radio public broadcasting station. You and a team of coworkers are responsible for researching, writing and producing a new series about American Musical Theater.

Your first task is to choose one musical that you are anxious to learn more about, watch a television or taped stage version of the show choose one piece from the show, find an audio recording, and complete in detail the Perceptive Listening Chart.  In addition to your analysis of this single piece, be sure to learn what the piece is about, choose three aspects you believe are truly unique and important found in the piece, and determine how the individual piece fits in the context of the entire musical.

Research the composer, lyricist, and the book upon which the show is based. Produce a script for your television or radio production including composer’s life, style of writing, other works, and other relevant historical information about the time period in which the work was written. Be sure to include in-depth discussion of three musical elements in your script. (Your completed analysis on your Perceptive Listening Chart of the individual piece will guide this portion of your script.)

Produce your 8-10 minute show live, or present a pre-taped version to the class. All members of the broadcast team must be involved. Your show will include short excerpt(s) of an audio recording and possibly an excerpt of the movie or video to support your research and listening analysis.

All students will complete an evaluation of each group member’s contribution to the project. All students will complete an evaluation of each group’s presentation in class. Each student will complete a reflection of the project in class on the last day of presentations.