20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 8:22 AM by nelmol

Jam on It! What Classic Song Title Describes Your Teaching Style?

MrsSmoke

music_instrumental_3-t1.jpg

Howdy Hey All You Music Fans!  We have a lyrical question to ask all of you. 

If you had to choose a classic song title that describes your teaching style, which would it be? 

Perhaps your style is a little "Like a Rolling Stone" or even somewhat like a "Stairway to Heaven", but we all have a song title we can get "Satisfaction" from. "Imagine" all the "Sweet Dreams" and "Good Times" we'll have reading each other's posts.

"C'mon Everybody" "Let's Get Together" and share your lyrical teaching style because we know "It's a Wonderful World" doing technology.
        • Re: Jam on It! What Classic Song Title Describes Your Teaching Style?
          glen_w

Smoke,

What a fun challenge. I can’t sum my teaching style up in one song … so I’ve written a short paragraph. (Hey – there are over 10,000 songs on my iPod!)

I’m often thinking that anyone teaching Middle School students should be aware that “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You” (Donny Osmond). Personally, I’m “Feelin’ Stronger Every Day” (Chicago) because I teach Middle School. My students all claim “Nobody Does It Better” (Carly Simon) when they talk about my class. I personally make it a goal to be “Carrying the Banner” (Alan Menken) for student rights. If you teach, please remember that “Come What May” (Nicole Kidman & Ewan McGregor), even if you don’t feel 100% “The Show Must Go On” (Three Dog Night).

If I am forced to use just ONE song ... it would be "When I Grow Up" (The Beach Boys). I feel like I can influence each student's future if I put in my best effort.

julesfischy

"I gotta feeling" you use music in the classroom all the time.

Something tells me that this discussion thread could easily give the producers and idea for Glee - as they show the students moving from classroom to classroom singing about their teacher's teaching style.

I can see many teacher's liking the song "School's Out" by Alice Cooper as they head into the final month of school.

I wonder what other songs are classroom motivations.

• Using Music to Focus Students
                glen_w

This past month my Biology students dissected chicken wings to identify homologous structures. During this dissection, I played songs from Marshmallow Peeps Sing-Along. My students laughed at the songs and were so focused on their dissection - much better than the previous dissection when they did not have music in the background. Several students commented about how "ironic" the songs were for chickens (e.g. "I believe I can fly."

What other songs or albums have been used to help focus students on their learning?

• Re: Using Music to Focus Students

Glen,

Your post title got my attention because I have a graduate school colleague who is basing his study on the impact of music on student achievement. It is amazing how music can bring about such focus and clarity. Is this something that you do for every lab? I wonder if it is because our students are always tuned in to music?

glen_w

Stephanie,

I'm interested in hearing the results of the graduate school study! I'm wondering if the music focus is related to how music causes students to discuss ideas only with those sitting nearby rather than those several feet away. When regular labs happen, I often find students calling out to friends in other lab groups - this did not happen during this chicken wing lab.

This was the first time I've used music in the background while doing a lab ... it WON'T be my last! I want to have appropriate music playing - not just have it going because it is music. (Unless I can validate that the music helps focus students.)

Is there a study that shows music helps focus student learning?

Glen,

Appropriate music, yes! I have been in classrooms were unrelated pop music was playing and it did NOT help (in my opinion) enhance student learning.

I will ask my colleague about any studies that show music helps focus student learning and let you know. Maybe it relates to the part of the brain that is active while music is playing? I don't know, but your post has certainly gotten me interested enough to do a little research on the topic!

Stephanie, I would also like to see the results of that study.  Should be interesting.  As a former music teacher, I believe that many students, myself included, do not do well with a lot of "outside" sounds going on.  I need to be able to concentrate, and when music is playing, I pay more attention to that than my work.  Because there are different learning styles, and for those students who "need" the music, let them use ear buds. But, that brings up another discussion about allowing iPods or other MP3 players in the classroom.

Please keep us posted about the study of music and student achievement.

Neil

MrsSmoke

My personal style is a mixture of "It's a Small World" (Classic Disney) since I throughly enjoy having my students involved with international global projects and Skype calls and "Go Your Own Way" (Fleetwood Mac) since I am trying to help students be more self-directed learners.  They set goals for themselves to accomplish project requirements and do many self-evaluations. 

Dyane, I guess my song would be "With a little help from my friends" by the Beatles.  Now, understand I DO NOT advocate actions that are suggested in the lyrics, but the title of the song was what my classroom was all about--working together to solve a problem. 

Neil

Students love music.  There is a drive now to get students to move, dance, and jump around in the morning before class to stimulate the brain cells and get the blood flowing.  After an hour ride on the school bus, they need to shake it off (sleepiness), shake it up (brain power), and shake it out (knowledge). Also, if they can learn the songs on the radio, why can't music help them learn their lessons in school?

erroth

These don't describe my teaching style, but I use them in class regularly:

Carol Burnett's closing song to the Carol Burnett show: I'm so glad we had this time together...   I sing this into a mic when it's time to clean up at the end of each of my three classes.

I'm also fond of the Rolling Stones, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and I use "Hey, Jude" a lot this year because one of my student's is named Jude.

Thinking in terms of teaching Technology and of the all time King of Pop, michael-jackson-michael-jackson-41269_1024_768.jpg

Technology is neither Black or White,

some teachers want to Scream, some say technology, You Rock My World!

I tell them you may have Butterflies, it's Human Nature, You Are Not Alone... I'll Be There, Don't Stop Until You get Enough!

Okay so my song isn't about the lyrics but how it was portrayed in the movie. I love the movie Say Anything or should I say I have been in love with John Cusack since I was in high school. I am going to go with the Peter Gabriel song In Your Eyes. The iconic scene from the film occurs when broken-hearted John  serenades his ex-girlfriend outside her bedroom window by holding a boombox up above his head and playing the song for her.This scene is so passionate and he is trying to send a message and that is how I feel about teaching. I know my message is important and I may not have a boombox to blare it but I sure can use all of my skills to get the word out.

I don't know that I have a specific song that describes my teaching style, but it would definitely be in the country genre.  Maybe a little Jason Aldean and "Days Like These" or "Momma Said There'd Be Days Like This" by the Shirelles.