19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2015 1:44 PM by glen_w

After the Fall

mcsweej

I am sure many of the elementary and middle school teachers are deep in test review mode, covering expectations, teaching cying third graders how to bubble and pulling hair out over questions that students knew the answer to the first week of school but have no relatable concept of now. Fast forward two or three weeks - what to do to engage students on those days between the test and summer vacation? I love to try to get outside, maybe even messy, but I have a feeling technology, particularly my chrombooks could be put to some good use as well. I am thinking of adding to our hiking trail or possibly some historically driven Geocaching, what are you doing after it is all said and done?

• Re: After the Fall
          glen_w

Jonathan,

I think you are planning well. I've considered taking my GoPro with me (wherever I go) this summer. I'd like to document locations my students have not (and probably will never) visited. Perhaps I can create some "virtual field trips" to use in the classroom somehow.

julesfischy

What about having them create a virtual tour for your incoming students?  They can record and annotate throughout the school including areas outside. 

I also like Glen's idea about virtual field trips - and you might find some ideas from visiting the archived Museums and Makers Webinars in  Webinars and Events

steveburt

Jonathan,

One idea that might be worth considering is looking into the world of digital painting - there are so many tutorials Digital Painting 101 (1 of 5) intro — Ctrl+Paint - Digital Painting Simplified and such great capability (read: Photoshop Streaming on a Chromebook) that you might want to look into this as inspiration activities for your students.

Bonnie Feather

Students might enjoy group reviewing of websites they have found useful for personal or school learning. As the group reviews, students curate individually those sites they enjoyed. There are many sites and apps for students to use for curation. One I couldn't remember in another discussion is Symbaloo.

For other curation apps and more, check out this discussion.

That last period of time in school is the environment we all WISH we had all year long- not teaching specifically for the testing period. Another suggestion is to develop a project with students to tackle a local issue. Suggestions and activities for projects about in the Idea Showcase!

Lastly, have students create QR codes for their favorite sites, along with a brief engaging and persuasive description. They then save the sites after using the QR codes! Interactive hallway!

~Bonnie

deb_norton

Hi Jonathan,

One idea I would love to implement is having students create an App Slam! An App Slam is a short, high energy, creative way to show the features of your favorite app. This can be done in a variety of different ways, but

• they are short (1-3 minutes) in length,
                  • highlight the features of the app,
                  • demonstrate how to use, and
                  • end with the word SLAM.

Here is an example of two young ladies doing an app slam for Google Translate:

In a classroom, students can work together to create an App Slam and then they can present the App Slam to their peers. Several App Slams can go up against one another and students can then vote on their favorite App Slam.  One way to do this is to set up tournament brackets using a site such as Bracket Generator

I think this project would be engaging for students in between those testing dates and it empowers the learner to be creative in their delivery of the App Slam.

glen_w

Deb,

If the SLAM is done with multiple people and different apps,  think it would also be fun to have students "vote" on their favorite. This could be done with a Google form the teacher is updating during the SLAM with voting happening at the end. I would use something like "which of these apps will help you the most in classes?" What prompt might you use for such voting?

deb_norton

Glen,

The Google form is a great idea. The App Slam I participated in recently involved using the site PollEverywhere to show live voting. It was really fun, exciting and the anticipation of watching the poll results fluctuate and finally settle on the winner was quite suspenseful.

I loved it!

glen_w

I can imagine the enthusiasm students had seeing the votes come in. Thanks for reminding us about PollEverywhere.

Another easy polling place is inside Google +  Communities

I use Communities for back channel discussions for a couple of reasons

1.There is a poll

2. It is secure - students must log in with real names

3. It is nested.  Both I and other participants can individually respond to every participant

4. It is easy to attach, link, and insert with

The following is the url for a webmix of professionally made (not me) "How to" videos for technology.  The webmix includes a video for Google + Communities.

https://www.symbaloo.com/mix/techtutorials2

kn

glen_w

Kevin,

I have not used Communities this way before. I like how students are identifiable and responsible for content. The nested option is something I always appreciate - seeing things in context makes a big difference. Thanks for the hint!

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

what about asking them to contribute together in a summer project . through it they enjoy and make use of the information they gain in the school,They are free to choose which one to do

I love this idea to spark creativity and I shared it with my libraries with makerspaces - Create a foldable home with cereal boxes Cereal Box to Foldable Doll's House DIY (perfect take along house) - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog then have students create a script as groups and of course make movie shorts.

1. Hand-on creating

2. Storytelling

3. Moving making

Win Win!

Any other fun movie making ideas out there? Please share!

glen_w

Our foods teacher shared an episode of Master Chef with her students. The episode focus was on Food Trucks. She then had her students create a 3D model of a food truck and cook one item they would "Sell" from the truck. I was asked to taste and give feedback on the student work. It was a tough assignment especially when given the Belgian Waffles .