10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2015 4:55 PM by cgardne

Badging and Gamification in the classroom.

julesfischy

I see that so many of the engage members are getting engaged in earning badges, completing missions. It is great to see how participation is leveling up. In case you missed it check out the Engage Gamification Intro-Text and Image Instructions

So how does this transfer to your classroom?  Are you using an LMS that allows you to give out badges or levels?  What about a paper or chart system in your classroom?  Are there ways for students to work their way up to the next level?  What missions do you assign?  Share your classroom best practices.

• Re: Badging and Gamification in the classroom.
          glen_w

Julia,

My school is not using an LMS. I will be discussing options to create similar activities, missions, badges, and levels with my team when we return next week. (I, know our discussion will be short since state testing is just around the corner.) I would like to create plans prior to the next school year.

BronSt

Does your school use Edmodo? It has badges built in that you can use and I believe create your own https://support.edmodo.com/home#forums/20805855-badges. Also take a look at Class Dojo ClassDojo as a  free badging tool for classroom management. Very fun (if you ignore the idea of negative rewards ;-) ) Also Alice Keeler has a whole gamification spreadsheet just created in Google Tools that could be adapted Gamification | Teacher Tech - just some ideas that might be of use for classroom use.

julesfischy

Bron - thanks for sharing - I hadn't checked out Alice Keeler's resources on Gamification - I have seen a few other things she has shared - what stood out for me was her post on making Gamification Sustainable. I think that is really important for students.

BronSt

Yes I agree! I think what people have to get over is the idea that you are building a game, because you are not. You are using game atoms to build and engagement strategy/program/system depending on how sophisticated it is.  Starting small and growing it WITH your students can be a great way to go. I am a huge fan of participatory design, so if the teacher gets it started the users can then design extensions, enhancements and new trajectories.

glen_w

Bron,

You describe why gamification works so well. I cannot wait for school to begin next week and try to persuade my team to consider how we can implement gamification next year. The game elements lead to student participation and engagement. I hope we "start small" and figure out how to "go big."

BronSt

Sound great Glen and if you are ever looking for a mentor or ideas I would love to help out. As part of my research/advising I am visiting with a colleague right now Lucas Gillispie in Nth Carolina. In his district he has developed a game-inspired program for teacher professional learning in relation to using technology in their teaching. It is visionary, professional and fun. The balance is important and yes starting small and growing a program for kids or teachers with kids or teachers is exciting. They will have a lot of their own ideas once they have a taste of what a gamified system can include. It's a bit like what we see here... people are tasting the game-inspired missions and thinks "Aha - so I could do something like this in my class". Teachers need a taste to get inspired to build it into their own contexts. Anyhow if you would like any advise don't hesitate to ask.

mcsweej

This seems like a super cool way for students to practice routines etc, definitely going to set something like this up in my classroom next year.

Bonnie Feather

Everyone,

I have been truly surprised at the increase in activity since the Gamification and Badges were released just two days ago! Global activity is big, but most surprising is my own interest! I can't stop reading and responding! Though the badges and missions are motivating, once I get to a new discussion, I am interesting in participating. It has also shown me around some areas I haven't looked at in a while, and shown me some areas that have been very recently revamped.

Thinking about how this might stimulate engagement in a classroom is very exciting! It makes me think back to my original Essentials and Thinking Tools courses, and the Essential Questions. If a school or grade level adopted some of the same overarching questions (along with defined missions and badges), I think the hallways could be great sources of engagement to students! Just imagine the bulletin boards, rife with QR codes, links, videos, project results, and lots more!

cgardne

I do like the increased discussions within each of the threads.  Great connections are beginning to take place.