3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 9:26 PM by glen_w

Activating Student Voice - March 2015 Webinar

blancaedu

One of my favorite strategies to increase engagement in a classroom is to give students a voice in what they are learning. In this interactive webinar, Phil Stubbs shared ways to activate student voice. Participants had a chance to engage with each other in discussion and offer feedback using a tool called Verso Learning. Phil shared many beliefs around learning and what he believed to be the critical meeting point of the work of leading educational thinkers including Alan November -Who Owns The Learning?, John Hattie -Visible Learning, Carol Dweck – Mindset and Michael Fullan - New Pedagogies For Deep Learning. He included some other lesser known educators who are definitely worth learning more about. Having a growth mindset is essential to learning.

Recently there was a discussion on Engage about how to recognize students with a Growth Mindset which has me thinking a lot about deeper learning. In this webinar Phil talked about strategies to engage students in deeper conversations using a tool called Verso. After watching the webinar, I realize how important it is for us as educators to use tools that let us analyze data not only to inform instruction, but also to highlight what is working and what isn't. Verso allows teachers to analyze questioning, a strategy that when done well, can lead to higher levels of thinking in the classroom.

After reflecting on your own practices and tools you use to inform instruction, share some of the ways you use data to inform your practice. Share tools or your experience with Verso as well.

• Re: Activating Student Voice - March 2015 Webinar
          glen_w

One of the major things I have learned about giving students voice is that it does not mean anything goes. I find engagement and activity increases if students are given a couple of items to select from. When they know it is something they have ownership of and a desire to learn more about, they seem more involved in the learning process. Thanks for including the video!

blancaedu

glen_w that is good insight. Giving students a voice without structure, especially when they have not had a chance to understand how to give meaningful feedback or how important it is to listen to others, can create an environment where discussion isn't facilitated, maybe it's led. That's just one example. I've read on more than one occasion on how engaged your own students are in their learning. How do create a sense of safety in your classroom so that when you do give students voice, that they trust the class enough to share? Is that ever an issue?

glen_w

I often tell students that "I do not know that answer" or "First mistake I made today!" This behavior starts on day one. Students learn it is ok to not know everything (which is why we ALL are learning.) they also seem surprised to hear someone admit to a mistake. I explain how mistakes are part of the learning process. When students read aloud, words are often mispronounce. I congratulate the student on trying a new way to say the word. I explain that like we 've learend science does not have all the answers, science also likes to use new words. I find such examples encourage students to try with new ideas, experiments, and language.