24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 6:48 PM by glen_w

Growth mindset award

glen_w

During previous award ceremonies my school only selected students who consistently earned excellent grades and had good behavior. This year my school has focused on students developing a Growth Mindset. We are looking at identifying students who demonstrate growth. I hope many will join in the discussion including: yasserrs2003@hotmail.com, bonnie_feather, julesfischy, holmesg, blancaedu, TimNielsen, deb_norton, susangauthier, dougemints, JulieSzaj, ProfWhitby, ritika15, NaomiHarm, and BronSt.

I do not think "Great student growth" is a good award title.

• If you were giving such an award, what would you call it?
      • How would you suggest selecting such students?
        • Re: Growth mindset award
          blancaedu

Glen, that is so exciting! I hope you will share what you can in terms of the award for Growth Mindset. We have a whole group of schools here that are talking about just that - even for teacher leaders! How about "Lead Learner" as an accomplishment of someone with a Growth Mindset and who has demonstrated that capacity.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

What a neat question.  When I was in school, I think the award was called, "Most Improved".  I'm sure we can come up with something more exciting than that.

Give me a couple of days to think on it.

~Annette

glen_w

I also remember a "most improved" award. Personally, I always felt it was a "lame" award. It seemed like "you are not really good but we want to give you an award." Thanks for taking time to think on it. Perhaps you can ask your students what they would like to have it called if they earned it.

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

i have always thought that learning is a change in personality, maybe the award can be related to that?

NaomiHarm

Glen I really like this focus and Postive Growth Mindset you have mentioned here-  is all about a student's awareness and taking personal ownership in their self-directed learning journey. It is also empowering students to understand that they are in control of their learning and that their brains are constantly changing to grow, reconnect and transform their learning pathways.

This quote from the Scientific Journal mentioned below from The Secret to Raising Smart Kids - Scientific American has me thinking differently of the actual focus on the award you are mentioning.   

"The result plays out in children like Jonathan, who coast through the early grades under the dangerous notion that no-effort academic achievement defines them as smart or gifted. Such children hold an implicit belief that intelligence is innate and fixed, making striving to learn seem far less important than being (or looking) smart. This belief also makes them see challenges, mistakes and even the need to exert effort as threats to their ego rather than as opportunities to improve. And it causes them to lose confidence and motivation when the work is no longer easy for them.

Praising children's innate abilities, as Jonathan's parents did, reinforces this mind-set, which can also prevent young athletes or people in the workforce and even marriages from living up to their potential. On the other hand, our studies show that teaching people to have a “growth mind-set,” which encourages a focus on “process” (consisting of personal effort and effective strategies) rather than on intelligence or talent, helps make them into high achievers in school and in life."

I was first thinking the award should include in the title the word "Brain" somehow in it such as  "Brainology" or "Elastic Brain" or "Brain Pickings" or "Big Beautiful Brain" or "Cranial Connections" But now after reading the article- that makes me think that perhaps this once again is only focusing on the talent of some students that some are smarter than others, and once again our students will feel devalued.

Perhaps the award focus should focus on "Personal Effort and Effecting Strategies" as the article mentions, really personalizes it for individual students.  

Here are some resources to let you ponder a little more about this topic to generate some new and inspiring ideas.

Brainology

Two Basic Mindsets

Raising Smart Kids

Rubina Jahangir

Most creative mind Award

I would call it Rising Stars

I would look at the following which you said you do.

1. Academic: Student growth measures of testing (growth from pt A to pt B) this could be state testing, programs you are using like Accelerated Reader, Read 180 etc or district testing data for benchmarks

2. Behavior: Discipline records

I would also look at

3. Leadership: service, courage - not sure how you would assess this...ideas anyone?

4. Determination/problem solving - not sure how you would assess this...ideas anyone?

JulieSzaj

How about the "Empowered Learners" award?

Some thoughts . . .

Glen, what type of school mascot do you all have?  For example, if it's a tiger, the award could be the Tiger Spirit award - then the school's motto can be tied in to the award.  Hmmmm . . . This is a generic idea, so it's probably already been taken.

Another idea . . . Does you school have a past graduate who inspired the entire student body despite having to deal with extreme adversity?  (If so, the award could be named in honor of that person.  The description of the award could identify those characteristics that made the student successful . . . eg positive mental attitude, perseverance, etc)

~Annette

glen_w

Our school mascot is a Jaguar. there have been many awards over the years that include Jaguar in the title. It almost seems overworked.

In terms of a past graduate who is inspiring ... perhaps my favorite is Noelle Pikus-Pace. She truly overcame adversity to earn her medal. As her 7th grade science teacher, I was very pleased to see her medal.

dougemints

"Glen's Little Achievers"??

Or

"Innovating Learners Award"

Teachers have a building google form that they suggest one student name per month. These students are selected because they were educational "risk-takers" and created or demonstrated some exceptional educational example.

glen_w

I'm not sure I want students to get an award with my name on it...

Today I suggested the following to our principal:

• Travis Hansen Achievement Award (Travis was a former student who played in the NBA)
                                  • Noelle Pikus-Pace Persistence Award (Noelle was a former student who won an Olympic medal)

We thought it would be good to get permission from both to use their names.

I, however, think these awards probably work best for PE. Now I need to come up with an award title that fits the general population and could be given to multiple students.

cgardne

What about Success Builder Badge?  That title might work for Elementary and possibly Middle School, but the title would need to be different for high school students would really want to attain. Something that would relate to them in a special and meaningful way.    21st Century Key to Success Award/Badge???

glen_w

I agree that Success Builder sounds too juvenile. The Key to Success might not be accepted (despite how much I like the term.) We have a local car dealership that uses this "award" to select several students from different high schools. Each is given a key and one of the keys "starts" a car. The student holding the "winning key" gets to drive the car home.

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

how about " mind evolution award" ?