3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 5:55 PM by julesfischy

Where do you get your Information on Data Privacy?

julesfischy

Bob Moore has done it again.  In his latest blog post - Making Progress on Data Privacy Bob shared updates that have happened over the past year.

Is Data Privacy a hot topic in your school or district?  What resources and updates are you aware of? 

• Re: Where do you get your Information on Data Privacy?
          vkajones

We have always had various versions of an Acceptable Use Policy to help establish guidelines and expectations of data privacy. Most recently, every teacher had to take a Cyber Safety Course, that included Digital Citizenship, Student Privacy, Social Media etc. Teachers then had to teach lessons to students. Students often forget about their Digital Footprint and most of the time it is the students that are freely sharing their own data.

To help with this, before any company has access to our student data, they have to sign a Student Data Sharing Agreement. But what really happens if a company breaches this contract or shares the data?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              julesfischy

Vanessa - I think it is great that educators had to take a Cyber Safety Course. I think it is relevant for all of us. 

I guess it would depend on what is in your contract on what could happen to a company that doesn't follow policy regarding student data.  I like to think we can assume positive intent and that companies do not knowing violate privacy agreements.

glen_w

Interesting read. Data privacy has become a hot topic in my state with respect to mandated testing. Many parents are concerned about what student information might be shared with the federal government. One parent expressed the opinion that somehow his child's Social Security number might be shared with the federal government. It was fun to see the response by the state ed person who asked "who gave your child their Social Security number?" Somehow this did not seem important.

I am concerned with the comment "I'm a big fan of private sector solutions!"  I do not think all private sector solutions for education problems are the best choice. Many come with expensive price tags or are difficult to use. How might a solution prevent the sharing of data beyond what the state mandates?

1 of 1 people found this helpful