7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2015 4:59 PM by blancaedu

What have you learned about educational technology in the past decade?

julesfischy

In her recent blog post Marianthe Willams reflects on the past 10 years of one to one instruction. Her blog post made me think about what I have learned in the past 10 years and why I continue to evolve. 

I have learned that I love the collaboration that comes with educational technology.That learning is no longer happens inside the 4 classroom walls but anywhere there is opportunity. I have also learned that I am thankful for my friends(sshott, tlmaves, bonnie_feather, vkajones, blancaedu, glen_w, NaomiHarm, pkjohn1, steveburt, heatherlogicwing, MrsSmoke, cgardne, aparker tjohnston, stefanie_hausman and countless others not tagged) who share what they have learned and have pushed me along the way to grow and be open to new technology and tools. 

So my question to you is what have you learned over the past decade?  And what do you see as your next lesson? 

For additional blog posts, news and success stories on personalized learning visit the K-12 Blueprint or follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

• Re: What have you learned about educational technology in the past decade?
          yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

dear julia, i totally agree with you that learning is not limited anymore to the classroom , when i got my first intel teach training back in 2004 i discovered for the first time a new world of teaching resources and for the first time i began to involve my students and technology in learning processes, i learned that there is a complete world out there over the internet ( educational resources , collaboration , technology tools for collecting information and demonstrate understanding , collaboration again, sharing)

now most of the students allover the world have access to internet and technology and they can reach for a lot of infromation far far more than they can find in school books, so we can't   ignore that and continue using traditional teaching as we did many decades ago

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            glen_w

Like julesfischy I am deeply grateful for the opportunities I have to collaborate with wonderful peers throughout the world. I shared posts and comments from our Intel Engage community with fellow teachers today. These teachers were amazed that I communicated with and seemed to know where so many people lived in the world. I explained that education should not be bound by classroom walls or a school building. I've learned there is great power in recognizing what I do not know and allowing others to help me gain that knowledge. Today as students shared what they were seeing by viewing pond water under a microscope, they seemed surprised to hear "Wow, I've never seen that before!" I guess they expect teachers know and have seen everything. It made for an excellent discussion.

heatherlogicwing

Wow!!  julesfischy I have learned so much!  I have had such an opportunity to be introduced to so many great people with so many great ideas and experiences! I cant tell you how much the support has made a huge impact on the teachers that I have touched throughout my career. Every time I go to at training, i love that prior I get to bounce ideas off my team members and especially blancaedu and of course you too julesfischy for the work that we had done on previous projects, and my favorite way to learn is from the teachers that I get to work with on a day to day basis!!!!   

cgardne

julesfischy  I have gained so much. Not only have I gained lots of great ideas,I have gained a wonderful group of friends which I will always consider FAMILY.  When I have a question, I know exactly who I can ask for help.  My Intel family.  Everyone is always so willing to help or to find the answer.  At this time I just want to say thank you to all Intel Moderators  .julesfischy, tlmaves glen_w, vkajonesbonnie_feather, azneil, mdconley57 tdiener blancaedu, steveburt, holmesg dgoodman_1958, stephenandrews, MrsSmoke,  and many more I may have missed in mentioning.

You are all special gems to me!

holmesg

Julia,

I have learned that a presentation ha so much more value when created with colleagues with varied skills.  When I need ideas, strategies to enhance a lessons, it helps to have a professional learning network.  Most importantly, I have learned that we do not have to make decisions in isolation.  Help is just a keyboard away!

blancaedu

What I have learned in the past ten years is that there can never be enough sharing, that although it may seem like we know much there's still so much to know, and that edtech is not about technology but about the enormous possibilities to connect with others to share, learn and grow. I have learned that being a connected educator involves as much listening as it does sharing. I've surrounded myself with both like-minded educators and different-minded voices (like of you here in Intel Engage) from which I've been able to grow exponentially. I've also learned that we are not alone. The reality that there are millions of people like us around the world, fighting for children, working towards an educated world. It's quite stunning...and something that I have become more aware of because of what the last ten years of social media has allowed us. It truly is a WONDERFUL, marvelous, exciting, petrifying, time to be alive, to be an educator, and to be a learner!