4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 7:50 AM by azneil

Teaching "Naked" in the classroom

Did I get your attention?  Good.  Now, it's not what you think.  I just finished watching a video by "José A. Bowen, dean of the Meadows School of the Arts, has challenged his colleagues to "teach naked"—by which he means, sans machines."  After getting rid of all computers in the classroom, he challenged his colleagues to post a podcast of their lecture, have the students listen to it the night before as homework, answer a few questions online and then, and this is the part that really interest me, he has a discussion/dialogue with his students the next day in class.  Now, I realize this would only work with older students, but, it was such a great way to really encourage collaboration and communication within the classroom.  He is a college professor, but I think there is application in the K-12 environment.

As I read down the article, the biggest resistance came from the students themselves.  Here is a quote from the article.

"Strangely enough, the people who are most resistant to this model are the students, who are used to being spoon-fed material that is going to be quote unquote on the test," says Mr. Heffernan. "Students have been socialized to view the educational process as essentially passive. The only way we're going to stop that is by radically refiguring the classroom in precisely the way José wants to do it."

Ms. Dixon has seen similar reactions. "If you've spent years not speaking, you're going to be ticked off" when you are asked to participate, she says. "We have to move past that resistance."

Here is the link to the video.   http://chronicle.com/article/Teach-Naked-Effort-Strips/47398

It is possible to do this in the public schools? What does this say about our students and their attitudes about learning?  What does this say about us as educators in preparing our students for the 21st Century?  So many questions, so little time.

Neil

Message was edited by: Theresa Maves--edit link to open in a new window

• Re: Teaching "Naked" in the classroom
          tlmaves

This is interesting...the idea that our students are not used to discussing what they are supposed to be learning. IT is easier to be spoon-fed and then they can complain about being bored to death and still put out little effort. It isn't surprising there is some resistance initially. I like the use of the technology (podcasts) followed up with technology-free discussions. It puts the responsibility of learning on the student in both situations.

Do you think this is worth a webinar with this author?

Hello Mr. Niel

i apologise for tha gap in my communication, the internet was down and i've been busy taking a few classes to improve my own english communication.

I found the post quite interesting by all means, because for years it seems we've protested against the Lecture-System which seems to use students as statues made of sponge: they are to suck in all the information, and then pour it onto the exam sheet. At last we came up with scores and scores of training programs for teachers that would enable them to find lectures more interesting and capturing. do you really think it would be a good idea to make our classrooms 'nakend' again?

Regards,

Zahina

Zahina, I don't know if it would work for everyone, but, as a former high school band director, my students were required to practice daily in preparation for the rehearsal the next day.  Those who practiced always did better than those who did not.  I don't see why it wouldn't work for other disciplines as well.  Have you ever tried this teaching strategy in your classroom?  Would you be able to?  Interesting idea though.

Neil