4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 8:51 PM by holmesg

In a Word

holmesg

What word will you use to describe what you will look for in your students when they enter your classroom?  What will you do to ensure that you encourage students to maintain a positive outlook?

• Re: In a Word
          julesfischy

Since I am in a virtual classroom the one thing that I am looking for is engagement. I want to make sure my students are exploring our online learning environment and are engaging with each other. In order to keep students engaged in a timely manner the following tools are utilized - Remind, our Class Calendar, Grade Sheet with due dates of assignments that students can print.  To keep them engaged in the learning process we vary assignments and the tools they use to submit assignments. 

Although I am in a virtual classroom all of the above can be used in a traditional classroom as well as a blended classroom.

glen_w

Julia, Engagement best describes the word for my classroom as well. In a face-to-face room I think each teacher should be able to observe engagement in all students. I hope to see evidence of this engagement from when they enter my classroom until they leave at the end of the class period. Today I was in a state science meeting. One of the science teachers at my table shared her view of how an engaged science classroom should look. She then smiled and said "I learned that when I was a student in Mr. Westbroek's class!" I felt validated by her kind remarks.

holmesg

julia12, online teaching can be challenging, especially since you do not have the physical connection.  Remind 101 is a great tool to keep the students engaged, informed and focused.  Thanks for sharing!

holmesg

inquisitive.pngInquisitive is the word for my students.  I want them to research concepts to obtain an in depth understanding; ask questions when necessary; to be eager for knowledge and intellectually curious.  I start the year using Akinator, the Web Genius to teach the importance of questioning and follow the web genius activity up with an introduction to research and effective research skills.