4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 9:30 PM by edventz.saurav

Textbooks – a key link in traditional teaching methodology

edventz.saurav

I was doing some research work to analyse the Content Delivery mechanisms among School, Teachers, Parents and Students. These are the key stakeholders in the Education ecosystem and effective communication among them is very critical. There are some interesting observations which I am putting across through a few articles to get your views.

Let me start with the traditional method of teaching, which many of us went through during our schooling. There was no internet, mobiles and digital classroom solutions then. The curriculum was designed by the boards (CBSE or ICSE or State Education Boards) and delivered to students in classroom by Teachers through Textbooks or Notebooks.

I believe the traditional form of teaching developed an effective content delivery mechanism from Teachers to Students and Parents through Textbooks. Textbooks were the common link among the stakeholders in the ecosystem, which all of them used to refer. Teachers will teach Students from the Textbooks, Students will carry these Textbooks to homes and Parents will refer the Textbooks to revise the subjects. The practice exercises were either limited to Textbook exercises or additional exercises made by teachers and sent through notebooks. This mechanism ensured that the communication gap among the Teacher, Students and Parents is limited and all of them were in sync on the content that needs to be consumed.

While the introduction of new technologies has significantly enhanced the content quality and content customization, I believe that the traditional Textbook driven mechanism effectively linked the efforts of the Teachers, Students and Parents.

• Re: Textbooks – a key link in traditional teaching methodology
          saishyda

Hi Saurav, nice to read your research and it does make you go back to your school and the learning process in which most of us have grown. However in my opinion whaile this mechanism was a set pattern delivery mechanism that delivered and assured the interest on effort on maturity what it missed out what the ability to  develop in learners to think beyond the structure of the textbook. What happened silently is the power of creativity and critical thinking lay dormant while rote memory became the precedence of knowledge . In application to real life , situations we deal in life ask for skills besides the memorized text to explore your own ability to apply to analyse and to create . To me the outcome of an education must empower an indivul with the ability to think and a personality to uphold!

edventz.saurav

Hi Shyda and thanks for sharing your views. I agree when you say that teaching is not just confined to textbooks and there are numerous ways which teachers use beyond textbooks to teach their students. I remember my school teacher asking to make weather chart and each student by roll number had to update the chart with daily weather in the chart. It made us understand the seasons like nothing else while keeping all of us interested. With technology in the hands of Teachers, Students and Parents today, the exposure to data (and not necessarily content) has increased manifold. I believe one important point is to align or link everyones' efforts towards a common learning objective

anoop.rawat429

This is a nice topic to discuss upon but the same time one also to keep in mind while discussing the given subject about the changing facet of life. The ecosystem in which our present generation and future generation is and will be living. Too much emphasis on conceptualization through text books will not provide the holistic knowledge whihc is required to be successful in 21st century knowledge based society. Today it is all about contextualization of knowledge /information to establish the connect with outside real world. When so much of info is available then why to keep student confined to limited knowledge of text books and that too not updated versions.

All the stakeholders particularly teachers & parents need to accept this fact that our student live what they see and what strikes their IQ. And above more point should not be textbooks or any other source of information ..... the discussion should be how much relevant information or GYAN we are giving to our students which is actually preparing them for 21sy Knowledge based society.