20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 10:45 PM by areamiftikhar@yahoo.com

Speak Up

holmesg

Project Tomorrow "Speak Up" surveyed 364,240, K-12 students nationwide and reported 10 facts teachers should know about k-12 students' views on digital learning.

PrrojectTomorrowandSpeakUp.png

image:  Project Tomorrow | Speak Up

Click the image to get a larger view and better reading quality.

Which of the 10 facts did you find most surprising?

Which one of the 10 facts do you believe should be first priority to engage and empower students?

• Re: Speak Up
          julesfischy

holmesg discussing research as it connects to technology integration can empower educators to better support technology integration.  I was surprised by #9 in your chart regarding doing projects in Facebook.  This caused me to take a closer look at the data at - Project Tomorrow | Speak Up where I noticed that you had shared findings from 2013.  I then went and found the findings from 2014 that are pictured below at- Project Tomorrow | Speak Up  | Findings Now #9 talks about 41% saying they never use Facebook and this seems more in touch with the middle and high school students I know. 

I then took a look at look how the data has changed over the years and I wonder what changes we will see in the next five years.  Providing content and materials that can be accesses across devices in utilizing digital tools and engagements is something that I think students want.

project-speak-up.png

mcsweej

I had no idea that so many students prefered to read digital text.

holmesg

mcsweej,

While working at NCVPS, I found that if I called my students on their cell phones, I often did not get a response; however if I texted, I almost got an immediate response.  What do you find most effect when working with your students: calling or texting the cell phone?

Hygeia

The 10 facts I did find surprising is the number 10 because many of my classmates specially me, if there is time to search something THAT IS very important, the mobile touch screen is useful.

When finding the meanings and research about the topics of our subjects, and when there is WIFI it is indeed useful. So students are mobilists.

Another is the number two. Yes! the number two.

holmesg

Hygeia,

I would think that the response to number 10 varies because there are still schools that do not allow students to use cell phones.  So the survey is based on the school and what it may or may not allow and what resources are available to them.  Like you, I grab my phone!  Are there limits placed on students at your school?

SyedaKhadija

holmesg julesfischy. Number 10: Students are Mobilists; though we all know that smartphones are frequently used but the figures are surprising and then the gradual increase over the years as compared to the second report. I would give priority to "Who is Today's Gamer" and "More Games Please" as they seem to be the need of the day, games excite students at all levels and that's what they want.

holmesg

SyedaKhadija,

I think the keyword is at school!  How do we change the minds of administrators who see smartphones as distractions and do not allow students to pull them out of their pockets?

SyedaKhadija

holmesg . Yes, I think they have these restrictions because they haven't figured out how to handle smart students, they need to come up with strategies or PD modules for their administrators and teachers to handle kids with smart phones, design curriculum accordingly, a re-shuffling. Its the fear of the unseen that they are unable to over come. They eventually will not be able to stop the young generation from using smart phones.

vkajones

This list reminds me of famous "Did You Know Video and PowerPoint" presentation. That presentation was very powerful and offered many aha moments.

In the above resource, I think #6 (Teacher I have a question...is a key component. It also was part of the original Did you know presentation about students not being able to ask questions when they needed answers.  The kicker is that many school districts via their Acceptable Use Policy prohibits teachers from contacting or communicating with students outside of the classroom. 

Another issue may be a violation of FERPA if a teachers sent a student personal student data/information and someone else saw that person's email/text messages, would that teacher be in violation of FERPA?

holmesg

vkajones,

The way we address FERPA and personal student data is to send two emails.  The first email is to send the data password protected.  The second email is the password.  This prevents anyone from receiving the data and being able to open it.  Students could use #6 to tweet responses to discussion questions without sharing personal information.

Sobia Fazilat

for me # 10 is quiet surprising but a fact now.

And # 2 must be given 1st priority to have more effective learning.

holmesg

SobiaFazilat,

Good point.  We must recognize that students depend on their mobile devices for everything.  It is so important that we learn how to make use of these devices while facilitating the learning process.  Allowing students to bring their own devices (BYOD) and making use of those devices can save money and provide for a better quality of learning; assuming professional development is provided to help teachers meet those goals.

Hygeia

We have the same, point of view.