12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2015 3:39 PM by glen_w

Chromebooks DIY Hacks

NaomiHarm

image.jpg

OK teacher friends, I need your help! I am working with some schools in the MidWest USA with very limited funding to purchase storage and charging carts for their Chromebooks. These schools are looking for creative DIY solutions to build and create their own storage and charging carts. They are looking to make this a project that can empower lead students with working with community members and their Tech Ed departments.

Please submit your best photo that represents a Chromebook DIY hack to retro fit Chromebooks and to keep them safe and charged when not in use, and share WHY your DIY Chromebook hack works for you and your students. Is there anything you would do different next time to improve the design?

Thanks for for sharing your expertise and your Chromebook DIY hack!!!

• Re: Chromebooks DIY Hacks
          vkajones

This is a good thread. We are also experiencing the same dilemma in my district. Campuses do not want to spend limited funds on charging carts or just plain storage carts. The carts that have been recommended for campuses to purchase run 500.00 to 1500.00. I'm anxious to see the pictures that will be posted.

NaomiHarm

OK TEACHER FREINDS- I know many of you have Chromebooks in your classrooms-

Please submit your best photo that represents a Chromebook DIY hack to retro fit Chromebooks and to keep them safe and charged when not in use, and share WHY your DIY Chromebook hack works for you and your students. Is there anything you would do different next time to improve the design?

holmesg

I don't have a picture, but we took a plastic container, cut out a section to run the power strip though and used Styrofoam to  section off the computers.  It was easy to carry and cost under $5.00 to create.

NaomiHarm

Still looking for some great VISUAL ideas with Chromebook DIY hack to retro fit Chromebooks.

JamesBlodgett

We started out trying to do something similar to this, but found them too wimpy and fragile, so we went to a much more robust solution: https://plus.google.com/+JamesBlodgett/posts/SiXi2gLwYCR  The tubs are about ~$15 in bulk, the powerstrip is ~$12 and the rack is ~$35: Copernicus TEC-AC5C 5-Chromebook Insert at SCHOOLSin  We put them to together with wireties so they are pretty rigid and have held up well: https://plus.google.com/+JamesBlodgett/posts/EZVxU3hGnwL

NaomiHarm

JamesBlodgett you are a rockstar for sharing and joining our #IntelEducation Teachers Engage Community.  Thanks for your cost effective ideas and new solutions for other educators seeking out this information!  Like the sturdy Copernicus Chromebook carts, cost effective powerstrips and wire ties. Will be sharing this with Madison, WI schools and others. Thank you! deb_norton and iVelvet check out Middleton, WI schools Chromebook semi-DIY hack- this may benefit your schools too.

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 12.51.56 PM.pngpowerstrip.jpeg

NaomiHarm

We took a tour of the Northern Hills Elementary redesigned building in Onalaska, WI and the classroom teachers were very creative with their Chromebook DIY hacks. Some used dishwasher trays/racks, some used file storage racks, while others used storage totes. I included the classroom photo of the 5th grade classroom, so you can the teaching and learning space. Love the triangular tables for students to form singleton seating, or duo's, or trio's, and quads. The tables are adjustable for standing and seating heights and the chairs are comfortable and can rock if needed and can be sat on from front to back or back to front. The teacher could easily do his MWA's (Mobile Walk Arounds) to monitor student progress with the Chromebooks by his setup of the flower pod setting. Also each 4th and 5th grade room has a plasma Smartboard TV for instruction by the teacher or a creation station for the students to create and design with up to four students at the Smartboard..

chromebook rack.jpg student getting chromebook from shelve.jpg

file storage shelf.jpg   collaborative setting.jpg

glen_w

NaomiHarm I'm curious regarding how Chromebooks were assigned/taken by students. Our school's tech person sent out an email about how devices should be "numbered." He continued by telling all teachers that students should always have an "assigned numbered" device to take. The reasoning given was to ensure teachers know who is responsible if there is a problem with a device.

Have you seen similar policies?

Have you seen a better way to assign devices?