9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2015 12:57 PM by holmesg

Understanding Math

holmesg

What strategies do you use to help students understand difficult concepts?  Share an idea, presentation or lesson that you use to help students understand math concepts.

• Re: Understanding Math
          glen_w

holmesg while I do not "teach" math, I have them apply math concepts almost every day in our science classroom. This week, students measured "volume" and "mass" they then used division to  solve for Density. (Density = mass divided by volume.) The information was then used by students to evaluate which substances were "densest" and which were "less dense."

holmesg

@Glen,

Allowing students to see how other subjects are integrated into your subject give them additional opportunities to apply the skill.  I am sure the math teacher thanks you for being an awesome teacher that integrates other subjects.

glen_w

I'm not sure our math teachers would refer to my teaching as awesome. I, however, think it is important that students see application of principles in their daily lives. I, therefore, consistently try to integrate other content areas in my class as appropriate with our core.

What connections do you see between Math and English?

holmesg

glen_w,

You are too modest.  Students should be able to explain how they reached a solution to a problem.  They should be able to analyze word problems, and find a solution based on their analysis. Chunking, word walls, think-pair-share activities, discussions, gallery walks and other similar activities used in the English class can be used in a math class to transform thinking and achieve mastery learning.

Lalita1962

I haven't been a student of Mathematics. No fault of mine, unfortunately, the school I was in, didn't offer science/maths stream in class 9th onwards. I have no idea, how I would have been in understanding Math, but it seems if the teacher emphasizes on its application part, or indicating how an average person uses math un/knowingly in day today life, I am sure, it has all power to arrest attention.

Digits still look scary, but then,they help in escalating life....Who doesn't like more digits in bank account, on lighter note...??

My youngest sister, who did her PG in Physics, and, later on developed love for Math, says that Mathematics is very interesting and gives pleasure. I leaves me in bewilderment, her expressions justifies statement. She is into home-based coaching.

I will ask her to register herself here to provide some insight, as she deals either with bestest in Math, or not-so-good in Maths.

holmesg

Lalita1962,

PBL is a perfect strategy to use when teaching math.  It helps to show how math is used in the real world when teaching;  this helps to draw the attention of the students.  I explain to my children how I use math when hanging curtains and measuring ingredients when cooking.  Math is all around us and like you said, we all like seeing the extra digits in our bank accounts.

stream1

If you can find teaching videos online it would help a lot. One of my many things I do is I am the head coach for a soccer club in NJ. I find when I have difficulties explaining concepts I seek videos online with the concepts and share it with the players.

For advance Maths problems I refer students to use online resources like khan academy for problems it seems they cannot understand. There are many resources online like this....