5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 9:11 AM by Lalita1962

"Most Likely To Succeed" - edu-documentary

SyedaKhadija

Read about the movie "Most Likely to Succeed", when is it expected to be freely available for global educators? hoping its soon. Thanks tjohnston for sharing your views and letting us know about it. https://www.clarity-innovations.com/blog/tjohnston/movie-see

• Re: "Most Likely To Succeed" - edu-documentary
          glen_w

SyedaKhadija and tjohnston I am interested in knowing your thoughts about the movie? Would you please share your thoughts on these questions?

• What do you think will be the greatest "suggestion for change" from this movie?
          • Do you think it is possible for teachers throughout the world to implement these changes?
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              tjohnston

Thanks SyedaKhadija and glen_w.

I really liked the movie and its emphasis on freeing students and teachers from rote learning inherent in test preparation. I also appreciated the in-depth look at High Tech High and their learning model. It made viewers think about what is really important for students to learn and do in school. While the focus on one model was helpful, the movie was unable to highlight all the  other models that are also showing promise all over country/world  For example, I recently read a column by David Brooks about the Leaders School in Brooklyn (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/opinion/communities-of-character.html). They follow a completely different model, one that focuses on developing the social and emotional aspect of students as opposed to "learning by doing". However the school is similarly inspiring students and teachers.

So I guess my "suggestion for change" would be encouraging schools to flexible enough to allow students and teachers to follow their passions and I don't see any reason why teachers throughout the world could not implement this change in their classrooms and schools.

glen_w

My principal is quite open to the idea of allowing teachers power to explore ideas and help students follow their passions. While I have a specific state core to teach, I am able to look for new ways to help students comprehend science. I enjoy looking for new "inquiry labs" which meet state guidelines. My principal's philosophy is that if students are happy, engaged, and actively learning the testing will take care of itself. I appreciate his thoughtfulness and willingness to allow me to look for new ideas.

Lalita1962

Just watched the movie.It's amazing.

These changes can be carried out,only when;

• Teachers are allowed to exercise autonomy in the school/classroom to reach the objective of "educating", rather than only transferring curriculum, and covering syllabus;
                  • Teachers need to be oriented to exercise autonomy "to make autonomy" meaningful, after all students are graded as well;

Committed and passionate teachers are most disciplined and most innovative, and also are the ones who display absolute autonomy.

SyedaKhadija

wish I could see it.