17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 12:44 AM by mralsop

How do you manage your passwords?

julesfischy

New Year. New Tech. New Password.

How do you manage your passwords?  Do you use a password manager?  If so is there one you recommend?  Do you sign-in with another account when given that option or do you create a new one?  With the introductions of special characters and keeping things more secure my previous password strategy doesn't seem to be as reliable as it once was because different sites have different password requirements. 

What password tips and tricks do you share with your students?

• Re: How do you manage your passwords?
          glen_w

i teach students to make easy to remember passwords. They, however need to be challenging in nature. one recommendation is to substitute numbers and symbols. As an example, I suggest cinderella be written as C1nd3r3ll@ - this was fun to compare on the Intel Password site. The difference in solving these two passwords is: cinderella : 0seconds ... C1nd3r3ll@ : 1week. Note, this is still not STRONG, but is much stronger than it was.

Mahmoud Abdelaal

I believe simple long passwords are better than short complex ones. For example my password can be a sentences without spaces but includes special characters, numbers and capital letters.

Example : A password for Engage ( !L0veTeachersEn9a9e). You can change whatever in this password and replace it with another number ,character or capital letters )

This is not my password by the way

tdiener

Ahhh passwords! Together with usernames they are the hardest part of instructional technology. Forgotten usernames and passwords "eat up" valuable instructional time. I'm looking forward to seeing how other  Engagers approach this issue. (Teachers'  cries for single-sign in and interoperability has been around for years...why has it been so hard to actually implement them?

holmesg

I use passphrases to create my passwords.  A passphrase is a phrase or sentence that you use instead of a word or set of characters to create your password.  You can read more about passphrases by clicking here.

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

Tag Cloud of most commonly used passwords

Mark Burnett, author of the most commonly used passwords wordcloud featured on this post, says that the top 10,000 passwords represent 98.8% of all users. (This was said before services like Last Pass began being used.) So this means that if a hacker has those 10,000 passwords and takes a crack at your account, then 98.8% of us are at risk. Wake up and smell the cybercrime, friends. It is time to get savvy.

1 – Never Tape It On Your Desk

Most password theft happens because of “social engineering.” Most people keep their password taped under their keyboard or in the right or left hand drawer or wallet. Get an app like Password Caddy (http://j.mp/pcaddy)  on your phone and store your password there, not out where the world can see it.

2 – Switch to a passphrase

Use a phrase instead with uppercase, lowercase, and numbers included. Ilovetofishat6:00am! is an example.

3 – Don’t be obvious

If you look at the worst passwords of 2013 (http://j.mp/worstpass) 123456 and password top the list. (Sunshine and letmein are also in the top.) Don’t use your spouse’s name, kids, grandkids, birthdays, phone numbers or a keyboard row of any kind.

4- Never save your passwords in your web browser

Unless you’re using LastPass or another secure service, this is the worst way to save your passwords.

5 – Have a unique password for your bank and email account NOW

When you sign up for a site that asks for your email and password – DON’T ENTER YOUR PASSWORD TO YOUR EMAIL. It is asking you to set up a NEW password for that particular site. No one will ever ask for your email password. No one.

Your email password and your banking password should be unique and NEVER USED AS THE PASSWORD ON ANY OTHER SITE.

6 – TRICK: substitute numbers and letters

Pick certain numbers to replace letters – like a code — you could always use the number 7 instead of T’s for example.

7 – TRICK: Use the site name somehow in the password

You can have a system for passwords but make them unique by using the site name you’re logging into somehow.

8  – Use a password manager

Many experts are recommending password managers after the recent Heartbleed bug that impacted 60% of ecommerce websites. (http://j.mp/pwdmgr)

Remember that if you mess up and forget your master password for one of these services you’re locked out of everything permanently. You could write it down and lock it in your safety deposit box.  One Password, LastPass,Dashlane are 3 good ones. (I use LastPass and love it but it does take some getting used to.)

9 – Use a fingerprint reader

Biometrics or the using of your fingerprint or some other unique identifier related to your biology is definitely the way things are going. I love the fingerprint unlock on my iPhone 5s. (NYMI has a heartbeat sign in tool coming the end of the summer.)

10 – Lock your screen and log out

If you step away from your computer or mobile, set it to lock or log out. This is particularly important for teachers.

If all of this overwhelms you, get LastPass and be done with it. Only .18% of us have completely unique passwords. It is time to wise up – we can do better.

Having a method to remember highly secure passwords will keep you and your loved ones safe. Spread the word.

This article was adapted from one I published in my newspaper column for the Camilla Enterprise/ Pelham Jo

http://www.coolcatteacher.com/password-tips/

lcsheehy

My favorite way to set passwords is using a foreign language like a city name or word and combining that with numbers/special characters. One example (that I don't use) is to use this city in Japan, Okazaki, and translate into a password by 0Ka%aki!. Using the same password for different sites can be done by adding identifying the site in some way in the word, maybe i0Ka%aki! for Intel. But, even with that, I have 2-3 different phrases I use. I find it impossible to keep track. So, what I have done is create a Google spreadsheet. I list the site, url, and I use shorthand for the passwords. I make the spreadsheet available offline to make it easy access. I keep my Google password in a Notes file (in shorthand) just in case.

intelnoemi

With regard to the security of passwords , first , I have different passwords for different access to different pages. and secondly , having to modify them from time to time .

oulyd@cliu.org

Oh boy! What a question! Passwords passwords and passwords galore! Don't you all find being an ed techie or an educator in general we have significantly more passwords than the average Joe?  All those web 2.0 sites and all the cool tools that we use in our classrooms require passwords. For those things I tend to use the same password over and over because there are so many to remember!

glen_w

I modified the wording from the article "Passwords Are Like Underwear - They Aren't Meant To Be Shared" for my students:

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 4.40.02 PM.png

mralsop

I recommend LastPass - it's really useful for storing all the "sign up" passwords we need; that said I don't use it for anything really important, such as my primary email password, banking etc.