4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 8:03 AM by intelnoemi

BookFace Challenge!

jpillmon

At one of our high schools, is all about the Bookface Challenge. Three months ago a new librarian walked through the doors and noticed that students were not checking out books. So, she asked the question... What can we do to get kids through the door? The next thing I know the Bookface Challenge was under way. Posters were placed strategically around the school and announcements about the Bookface Challenge were emailed to students. The announcement informed students that they could actually win prizes if  they just came into the library and took a picture with the book; simple... right. Well,  there is a  little more to this story. The illusory part to this story is that the students had to go through the shelves to find a book that was suitable for the picture. While looking for the "suitable books", students began to stumble upon titles that caught their interest, so they checked out the book.  Students received small prizes for taking a Bookface picture and needless to say, circulation in the library increased. The Bookface Challenge caused quite abuzz. Not just the students took Bookface pictures, the custodians, cafeteria workers, teachers, and administrators took Bookface pictures as well. Now I'm not going to tell you that this activity has a lot of instructional value... instructional value was not the intended purpose, what we wanted to do was to increase the number of students coming through the library doors and reading books. The outcome what's exactly what we wanted. Now, I can't talk to you about an unintentional outcome. As a result of more students having books from the library, they wanted time to read during the day... So next semester we will implement DEAR... An acronym for Drop Everything and Read for 10 minutes at a designated time during the week. This is a win-win for literacy. Check out our Bookface PIcs..

We are having lots of fun.

BFc.jpgBF2.jpg

BF3.jpgBF4.jpg

BF5.jpg

• Re: BookFace Challenge!
          glen_w

I'm at home now. I will take a couple of photographs of ways our staff "motivates" students to want to read. None are as exciting as the Bookface contest.  I am impressed at how some of the books were selected for the "selfies."

My school used DEAR several years ago. We determined our students were still not getting enough reading time. (Most of our Title One students do not have a strong support for reading at home. We modified the schedule so 20 minutes in their English classes is devoted to reading. Teachers read with students and anyone visiting the room also reads during that time. Our students reading ability has significantly improved compared to when we were using DEAR.

jpillmon

Hi Glenn, I think you're right about the 20 minutes... But I'll take the 10 in hopes that it will grow.

glen_w

I remembered to take a picture of the sign outside my door. Every teacher was allowed to select what to put on their sign. My choice is based on the book series I am currently reading. Other teachers have put a picture of the "book" they are currently reading. As a speed reader, I did not want to change my sign every week .

Book_Sign.jpg

intelnoemi

Congratulations on the strategy that we are sharing is worthy to apply it in all schools in the world. His original idea promotes not only go to the library , the most important thing a student can have a new habit of reading.