27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 8:56 PM by Jayanthi

How was life before plastic?

Jayanthi

Plastic has made its entry into the world sometime in 1907.But it has now become indispensable all over the world.We were using natural,biodegradable products/packaging few decades back.Sadly,all that has changed.It is now plastic everywhere with no proper waste management solution in sight.For instance,we use biodegradable cutlery in a party/event.

arecanut leaves.jpg

Image Source : Home | Disposable CrockeryDisposable Crockery | Latest Trends in Disposable Crockery

When I was a child,we used to serve food on banana leaves that are completely biodegradable.We have always carried a cloth bag while shopping.Shopkeepers used to parcel every item in brown paper and we carried containers for oil/milk.Some of us use only stainless steel vessels for cooking and storing.

I have a blog and this is one post I would like to share here : Eco(w)rite: Reducing Plastics

How did this drastic shift from a natural to synthetic choice happen?This question can be asked by students to their grandparents.We can then have an interesting activity/discussion based on the responses.

Here is an activity on up cycling :Eco(w)rite: Upcycling. In this activity,old trunk,pickle jars,planters were given a different avatar using a traditional art form called Madhubani.(Mithila Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How have your parents/grandparents managed without the ubiquitous plastic?Please share your responses.It will generate more ideas to make the world a plastic - free world!