11 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2016 4:05 PM by sieholmes

They Spoke Up Now Do Something!

holmesg

In order to create a technology rich environment that aligns with the standard course of study, teachers must first listen to what children are saying, know what technology they are using and engage in professional development to effectively implement strategies to motivate students in the classroom environment and encourage them to continue the learning at home. According to Speak Up 2015 data, 38% of students are locating online videos to assist with homework, 27% are watching teacher made videos.  The problem is slow and inconsistent internet access while using technology at school. Are you among the 27% creating videos to facilitate student learning? Are you designing lessons that allow students to be mobilists by providing personal access to their smart phones?  Review the chart below.  Considering the list of ten below, which do you need to engage in professional development to better facilitate a digital rich educational environment that support the students' concerns for digital learning?

StudentsSpeakUp.png

• Re: They Spoke Up Now Do Something!
          holmesg

I have been teaching in the Virtual Public School in NC for five years.  Vidoes are often used to introduce a concept, provide instructions and reteaching strategies.  Therefore, I would say I am among the 27% of teachers who create videos to facilitate student learning. I use remind 101 to remind students to log in and send short announcements.  Students have the option to use cell phones or computers to log in to the course and complete assignments.  It is my goal to create more activities that will allow students to respond to questions with their cell phones.  This will give me immediate feedback and a way to determine if students have mastered material. From the list of ten, I think I am weakest in Goodbye 1:1 and would like to enroll in professional development to integrate a variety of tasks in my classroom to introduce various strategies to impact student learning. What strategies are you using to say Goodbye 1:1!?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            MBrownEdTech

From the list of ten, I would have to say that I am most interested in strengthening number three. I would like to see what gamification truly could look like at different grade levels. From badging to points, there are a LOT of different systems out there so I would like to learn more about how these things work in a classroom setting.

SyedaKhadija

holmesg I am not teaching, am usually involved in teacher PD, but whenever I get an opportunity to directly interact with K-12 students and also in PD sessions, yes I would include myself in the 27% who create tech content and resources for student and teacher learning. For me, number 9 is very important, focusing and depending on useful, relevant and available online resources and drifting away from social media.

holmesg

@Khadija_Bashir, In North Carolina, students are required to provide artifacts to demonstrate learning. As part of the teacher evaluation process, the artifact is included in the teacher portfolio. This is a very good reason to assign students projects that will allow them to use online tools to create presentations including video, audio, images and other artifacts to demonstrate mastery learning. 

SyedaKhadija

holmesg Yes, assigning different activities and bringing artifacts makes learning exciting for therm. We are starting a project to make story books, first manually with chart paper and photo pasting which they collect on their own. In the second session they will convert their stories digital using technology tools.

Omashani

I would love to explore #4- Coding for girls is increasingly a trending topic and would love my girls to explore further to find solutions to problems that we encounter in the community and the world.

sieholmes

I am a fan of #1 and #3

This past year my students studied and create videos using our class youtube page. This was very beneficial for my students to recreate a lesson especially the dance competition. The students learned la bachata, el merengue and la cumbia. They learned the history, they danced in class and created their on dance. Each class posted their videos challenging the other blocks. The class with the most views by the end of the week won. This process can be repeated with other topics and lessons.

My students also had to complete weekly video reviews. Every week that had to find a video on youtube that reviewed a topic that we covered in class. It was interesting to see what they found and how they rated the video.  This made a big difference with my test scores for my low performing students.

sieholmes

I would like to learn how I can effectively incorporate coding in my Spanish class?