22 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 12:06 PM by glen_w

Fun eBook Read

glen_w

I just downloaded the eBook 15 Ways to Become a Smarter Teacher. This short read packs an excellent punch. As I went through the "pages" I found myself agreeing and saying "I do that." Or ... more importantly ... "I need to remember that when I teach students again in the fall."

Please take a few minutes to download and read this short (15 page) Creative Commons eBook. After you finish reading please let us know ...

1. What are your thoughts and opinions about this book?
      2. What "ah ... ha" did you have during the reading?
      3. How could this book change the school you work at (or work with?)
        • Re: Fun eBook Read
          tlmaves

This is great--definitely worth the time. I was trying to pick my favorite out of the 15 and couldn't. It would be interesting to have some debates around some of the points stated. I know of some teachers who would have a different opinion on #13, 14, 7, and 1.

What about a Webinar with this author? Do you think it would be worth it?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              glen_w

Theresa,

A webinar with Ian Jukes (the author) could be both fun and informative. I'm not sure how much he might charge for such a webinar. Id attended workshops where he was the keynote speaker and a friend on the planning committee indicated the costs were fairly high. What I liked was being challenged in my thinking about youth and how we generally try to teach them. That's probably why I liked this eBook.

I look forward to a further discussion from fellow members of the Engage Community on if they agree on the order of the items in this eBook.

JulieSzaj

Theresa,

Last year I checked into getting Ian as a keynote speaker.  Here is a copy of his fees I received:

Ian's usual full-day fee is US $7,500.00 PLUS expenses (coach airfare, ground transportation (if

required), accommodations and meals).  A full day usually consists of a 90-minute keynote, and

two 60-minute breakout sessions - or however you want to arrange the day (i.e. a workshop). 

A half-day session (up to three hours) is US $7,000.00 PLUS expenses.

If you are only looking at having Ian do a 90-minute keynote, then we can offer you US

$6,500.00 PLUS expenses.

JulieSzaj

This caught my attention right away:

"Our job as educators is not just to stand up in front of students and show them how smart we are . . . our job is to help students discover how smart they can become."

I wonder how often teachers really think about this.  If we want to become truly successful educators we need to reverse our thinking and remember that we are trying to help the KIDS realize their potential, not show them how much we know.  In today's world, with so much information available, it is vital that we prepare our students and show them how to find, sort through and build upon their knowledge so they can shine in our classrooms.

tlmaves

Love this quote as well--a very 21st century leaning thought.

Maybe we need a new quote section in community where member can upload their favorite quote and we can have it scrolling somewhere to provide some inspiration when you visit our site.

Excellent Idea. I know trainers are always looking for something to get their participants thinking in a new direction.

JulieSzaj

That's a neat idea. I'm always looking for good quotes to share at training sessions with my teachers. I have them posted on the SMART Board at the beginning of my sessions and use them as a discussion point, something for the teachers to reflect on, or just as an inspiration at the end of a long day of teaching.

glen_w

Is it not amazing how an inspirational quote can lead to a fantastic discussion? One of my favorite Ah...Ha... moments happened when I had a quote up and someone then told a story about being present when the quote was first stated. We had a great discussion relating to the context and how impactful that moment was.

Julie, I am curious about where you find most of your inspirational quotes for these trainings!

JulieSzaj

I don't have any one place where I get quotes, although I wish I did (hint, hint Theresa!). I just mark and save things as I read and them online. How about you? So you have any one place you use as a resource?

glen_w

Julie,

I appreciate your reminder that we are to help students become critical thinkers. I would be excited to see a move away from the standardized testing of "rote memorization" to some assessment that indicated students understood how and why they can and should solve problems.

kind of assessment do you see administrators, parents, and legislative leaders being willing to accept as "proof" that students are working to reach their potential?

JulieSzaj

Okay, so I have to use this with my teachers at the beginning of this year's training schedule. I think it would be a great reflective tool to start off their year and help them set some professional goals. Thanks for finding and sharing this Glen!

I was thinking I need to make this quote poster-sized and put it up in every classroom and admin office:

"The best teachers are less interested in the answers than in the thinking behind the answers.What matters most is the process, as opposed to just the end product. It’s all about the journey,not simply the destination."

Glen, great read.  Several items really struck home with me, but #2 was the one I really liked.  I especially like the quote "It may sound obvious and trite, but as teachers, we sometimes begin the journey and forget to first ask our students, “Where are you? Where are you starting from?”  We really need to be doing that as teachers.  As al former HS band director, I also like #8.  I always used to tell my band that I wanted them to play from the heart, not the necessarily the head.  If you make a mistake, make it musical.  I had some great groups that LOVED to make music.  Also this quote from #11,"The best teachers are less interested in the answers than in the thinking behind the answers.  What matters most is the process, as opposed to just the end product. It’s all about the journey, not simply the destination."

All in all, isn't this what PBL is all about.  This article just reinforces the fact that the Intel Teach courses are the best out there.  We must keep getting the word out.

Neil

glen_w

Neil,

I so agree with you on how important #11 is. Lately, I've gotten a LOT of flack from teachers who ONLY wanted to know the "correct answer." I did some work for my state and reached about 1400 Elementary teachers in two days - most expected me to just "tell them correct answers." Several became upset when I did not just tell them what the answers were. They were disappointed that I was showing them how I teach in my classroom. One teacher blurted out "Just tell me the answer - don't make me think!" I calmly replied that I was more concerned in helping my students learn to think and ask questions than just providing them with the correct answers. That teacher came up to me later and asked once more "Are you really NOT going to tell me the answer? I really want to know!" Was I incorrect in responding: "No - I am not going to tell you the answer. I am excited you want to know it and look forward to hearing about how you solved the problem."

I'd like suggestions on how others work with such teachers (or students) to help them go from the "spoon feed me" attitude into a "desire to learn" attitude.

Glen, some teachers are just tougher than others, and NO, don't tell them the answer.  Hold your ground on this one.  It's one battle that's worth fighting.  To answer your question, have you ever considered asking the teacher to help you do some research on a topic they enjoy.  If they help you, and I hope they would, then it would be easier to tie the concept of "finding the answer" to the classroom.  Seems simplistic, but, hey, that's me.  :-)

Neil

tdiener

Great resource Glen. It's always good to read something that reaffirms what you belive. The eReading had me at number one..."1. Understand That It’s
                                      About Them, Not Us'. That's number one in Google's Philosphy Statement: 10 Things About Google (http://www.google.com/corporate/tenthings.html) is: 1. Focus on the user and all else will follow. From the amount of conversation this post has generated, it certainly appears as if this resource hit a high note with many of us. Ian Jukes does command hefty fees for presentations, but how much would he charge for a webinar? Might be a whole new vehicle for him, maybe he'd do this just because he can. I would think he'd appreciate the chance to interact with the Engage Community. Can't hurt to ask I know I'd really enjoy "webinaring" with Mr Jukes.

glen_w

Tom,

I hope that Theresa is considering the possibility of having Ian Jukes take part in a webinar. As you and I realize - that could be a very interesting event for all of us! Thanks for the reminder of Google's Philosophy. How many teachers do you think are willing to "focus on their students' learning" because it is about them and not about us? How can we help teachers who do not believe this to move towards putting students first?

Bonnie Feather

My favorite quote from this little gem is in the introduction... "our digital students are leaving us behind."

The question for me is perpetually "How do I convince teachers they can catch up and get ahead, and that they often just need to get out of the way of the students?"  Often, the answer is in allowing our own classes to do this sort of work, and hoping that others will catch on.  In this large institution we call education, we always seem to have some who feel this is showing off, or that we feel somehow superior to others who don't do these things.

Many teachers try to avoid this conflict by always being helpful to others.  But, you just can't force it on everyone!

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

i didn't read it yet, but i will soon

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com