3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 2:05 PM by azneil

SMART Response and Assessment

The Intel Assessment tools can be a useful resource for our District . We will be able to use this website to create rubrics for the assessments that we use with SMART Response. This tool will also allow us to get our teachers to use technology more effectively if they know what they should be looking for. As I start to create those, I will be sure to post.

• Re: SMART Response and Assessment

Maureen, the Assessing Projects area is a fantastic resource.  I have also used it to help school districts create rubrics for grant writing.  Have you considered having your students create or help create the rubrics that will be used?

Neil

Great idea, Neil! Yes, I have suggested that students help create rubrics with the teachers. Sometimes, it is hard for the teachers to let go of this control, but I have found that if I model it for them, they are more willing to try it on their own next time. It is so amazing to give students this opportunity. They sometimes come up with more challenging rubrics than the teachers would have!

Maureen, another thought, and this is not original with me, is to make sure the rubric include the same vocabulary that the teacher is using in the classroom.  Seems like a given, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I agree with you, students sometimes do have better ideas than we do.  When I was in the classroom, I had a 6th grade class that was absolutely on top of technology.  Every Friday, when they would come to class, I would let them "teach" a short technology unit to the rest of the class on something they had learned over the past week.  I learned so much that year!  What a trip.

Neil