7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 6:52 PM by glen_w

Skills for Rockstars

aelmer

Intel's Ajay Bhatt is talking in this video about how 21st century skills were critical to his success as co-inventor of the USB, and how they're necessary for today's students to solve tomorrow's problems.

(he's one of Intel's 'rockstars' from the commercials)

Search for "Intel" at: https://thepartnershipfor21stcenturyskills238.eduvision.tv/default.aspx

• Re: Skills for Rockstars
          tdiener

Alison - What a great resource the 21st Century Readiness Video Contest is. Great to hear Ajay Bhatt tell his story. (I was a bit surprised  it was not actually him in the Intel "Rock-Star" video. I think I'll use this website during the Leadership Forum I have scheduled for next week. I'm a real fan of these video submission sites...I really enjoy that format).

Hi Mrs. Elmer,

It is great to hear from you again. I saw that video also. I was really impressed and proud when he mentioned Intel and creating the USB port.

Eva

Love this video...I was just sitting around on my pity pot and I was so glad that I clicked on this link. My problems may not be the world's pressing problems but Ajay Bhatt gives the encouragement to be a 21st century learner and leader...I could take a lesson or two from him...look out problems cause my 21st century skills are going into action!

glen_w

I'm so excited Susan commented on how this link brightened her world. I plan on showing the clip to my science students tomorrow - I hope they are also engaged and excited by it. In my opinion, he shows why it is important to be problem solvers ... that's what I want my students to do as they go through my class this year. (As a side note ... I worked with the new Science Teachers in my district this week. As we did introductions, one of these new teachers commented "I've been waiting to work with you. I've heard a lot about you. You are the "Rockstar of Science Teachers." This single comment made me reflect at that moment and wonder "Did I prepare well enough to be a Rockstar for these new teachers?" I think it's nice to be called a "Rockstar" but I am NOT in the same league as Ajay!)

Others must feel the same way since Critical Thinking is ranking high in the recent poll - Which of the 21st Century Skills do you believe students need more practice mastering? -Have you taken a poll lately?

aelmer

You're a Rockstar, Glen - and just think of what your students might do one day...

glen_w

Thanks for the compliment Alison. I got the ultimate compliment after school today. A young lady visited us after school ended. She wanted to see her former teachers. She told me that "I learned and remembered more in your Biology class than my first College Biology class!" We spoke about how she was doing in school and she continued "The best part of your class was how fun you made learning." This was a payback that I could NEVER have imagined.

This made me wonder ...

1. What "Payback" comments have you received from students or parents?
                            2. What "Payback" comments have you received from other teachers or administrators?
                            3. What can we do as individuals to help others in our profession to gain confidence in how they are helping student learning?