3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 11:24 AM by azneil

But can they REALLY carry on a conversation?

First of all, let me preface my remarks by admitting that I love to talk.  :-)   Now to the point of this post.  I just finished chatting with my granddaughter, who lives in Indiana, as she was at the dentist office.  (A dentist office with a public computer-how cool is that!)  We "spoke" for a couple of minutes and after we finished it got me to thinking about the way young people communicate today.  I text my grandkids, and I chat with them, but do we really have good conversation and communication?  Do the young people today really have the skills to collaborate effectively in the workplace?

I'm drawn to the fact that the Intel courses really bring home this NEED for good communication and collaboration. Technology is just another tool not the end all, be all that some would have us believe.

What are your thoughts about this?  What kinds of conversations/collaboration do you have via text and chat?  Can you?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Neil

• Good question!
          Bonnie Feather

We can always count on Neil to think more deeply about the world!  I really appreciate this question!  I am personally more the old school type of communicator- I think I usually do the "drive by" quick communiques on my social networks, chats, texts, and so on.  When I want to say more, I want to call the person or even send an email.

I find I can say more and carry on a slight conversation- say, making plans or arrangements to meet, on Plurk and a few other places, but I like ear-to-ear and/or face-to-face for real conversations.

• Re: But can they REALLY carry on a conversation?

Neil,

Seems like nowadays we have more and more opportunities to communicate through technology.  Through email, cell phones, chats, Skype and texting I am able to communicate with friends and family throughout the world.  This is something that would not have been possible earlier in my life.  It is true that short, succinct forms of communications have been a by-product of some of these new tools, but look at what educators now have to counter with.  Through digital story telling, Glogster and other tools, students have the ability to practice, record and analyze their communications far more effectively than in the past.  If technology is used in the right way, it will enhance our students ability to communicate.

• Re: But can they REALLY carry on a conversation?

Rick, I totally agree that there are so many different ways to communicate today than when we were younger, but that still begs the question, is it really better and deeper.  I don't know the answer to that.

You definitely hit the nail on the head when you stated "If technology is used in the right way, it will enhance our students ability to communicate".  Using technology the RIGHT way is the key.

I appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks for bringing yet another prospective to the table.

Neil