9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2011 2:32 AM by sadiasyed

Growing the Community

holmesg

As many of you may already know, while teaching essentials and thinking tools, I use the community for discussions, sharing resources and as outreach.  During my trainingings, I encourage participants to make announcements, create surveys, share resources, websites, collaborate and blog. I integrate the community into each of the modules.  I have found that by doing this, teachers build a comfort level and one or two continue to use it after the course is completed.  After participants have registered to the community (usually the second day of trainng) I have them join my group and complete a short survey.  Participants are given a powerpoint that provides an overview of the community.  What strategy do you use to introduce and grow community use?

• Re: Growing the Community

Gail, I must admit that I have been slow to incorporate the community into my trainings, but know that I must start.  If we really want to model to our teachers the power of a community and the ability to collaborate and communicate, then I/we really need to do this.  Engage is a great place to start.  There are so many knowledgeable people who love to share their expertise with others, it seems silly, at least to me, not to use it. I normally introduce the community to the teachers as they set up their teacher workspace in the TwT or the Assessing Projects module in Essentials, but I don't spend a lot of time there.

Thanks for giving me the nudge I needed.

Neil

holmesg

Neil, I use the group as a substitute for the wiki. I record my discussion questions and blogs on a word document and copy and paste them on the day they are to be used into my group.  It causes things to run so much smoother and the participants can see how easy it is to set up the discussions/blogs.   Asking students to upload lessons gives them a reason to return and interact with other members. why don't you try setting up a group and populate it with a survey, web resourses, first blog and disussion question for your next training. Would be happy to help you get started . . . you will be happy you did!

Gail, I use a wiki and blog now but they are separate.  I sometimes use wikispaces and sometimes Google Sites.  I also use blogger.  If I use a group in the community then the teachers only have one login.  I know they would love that.  If I run into trouble when  set up my group, I will definitely get in touch with you.  Thanks for the offer.

Neil

holmesg

Yeah!!!  You could still introduce the blogs and wikis if you wanted to  . . . the participants just would not record information relative to the course on them.  I use the beginning of each class to introduce a new tool with instructions for integrating it into the curriculum.  This is done prior to the start of class and participants come early just to see what tool I am going to share next.  You could use this time to introduce outside blogs and wikis if you wanted to share them.

Bonnie Feather

Gail,

Thanks so much for including your PowerPoint!  Would you please submit it to the documents area?  It will make it easier to find in the future if I should lose it on my over-stuffed hard drive!

Bonnie

sadiasyed

Thanks Gail Holms for providing such a good source.In one of my trainings I used wiki and blog for participant teachers and teachers liked it