5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 9:42 AM by tdiener

Rules are meant to be broken-PBL

Yesterday, at our ESA's workday, I had the opportunity to hear a man by the name of Rick Lewis speak.  He has a book out entitle, "7 Rules you were born to break".  As I listened to Rick, I realized that he was talking about PBL, even though he didn't know that.  Here is a link to his 7 rules.  http://breakarule.com/rick-lewis-speaker/rick-lewis-message.html

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.  It was an interesting afternoon and, he was a very funny man.

Neil

• Re: Rules are meant to be broken-PBL
          julesfischy

Interesting - I checked things out and think that the benefits of rule breaking are pretty similar to goals that you hope to achieve through PBL.  I know that I loved seeing when groups of students work really well together and develop that strong sense of teamwork. 

I too hope to see what others think about the connection.

Julia

tdiener

Neil, I like the Rick Lewis message and looks like he's an entertaining presenter. I have the "honor" of selecting a key note speaker for a local Technology Conference. Would you recomend him for this type of "gig".

Okay, Neil... First, I have to say that I am definitely a proud rule-breaker, beginning with the rule, "Be Normal." If anything, I strive to model that being "normal" can easily lead to being BORING!  In the classroom, normal might be what some more traditional teachers value in students, but I value students who are willing to stretch their wings and share their voices. His rule to break of "pretend you don't matter," was a new one for me. I like the simple way he says it... so basic, yet so profound. If more people, students thought this way, they could focus on the value of what they do and not on how they look doing it. So many students think that their stories don't matter, that they are not important. Like Robert Chavez's student Uriel (in the Digital Storytelling thread), our stories all connect in some way or another; our stories all have the potential to make a difference in another person's day.

I totally agree with your realization that Rick is "talking about " Project-Based Learning. When our students learn to let go and break the 7 rules, it frees them up to get their stories out and share them... and to inspire others.

My 4th graders are going to do some historical fiction projects this year, with their family and/or culture as the core. I haven't done this before and am curious to see how the inclusion of fiction in their writing about their family history or culture opens up new possibilities for their projects, instead of the dry "just the facts" projects they sometimes turn out.

Thanks for sharing.... but now I may just have to fork out the money and buy his book!