8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 7:21 PM by glen_w

Back to School with Thinking Tools

shanmangin

I just finished teaching a TWT course and several of my MT's had great ideas about using the Thinking Tools in back to school activities:

One first grade teacher plans to have students write rules for the class to follow and use the Visual Ranking tool to put them in order of importance.  The top 5 rules will be the class's rules for the year.

A middle school history teacher is going to have the students use the Seeing Reason tool to show factors that will influence their success in the course for the year.

Do any of you have other great ways to use the tools in the first month back at school?

• Re: Back to School with Thinking Tools
          glen_w

Shanon,

I like the ideas these teachers have for using the Thinking Tools. What a fantastic way to begin the school year. Students should be excited to be involved in using these online tools at the start of their school year. I like having the students order and determine their classroom rules. I spoke with a teacher at the close of our work day today and she was thinking of having students create their own rules. We ran out of time before a good discussion could begin. I can't wait to share this idea with her.

I've never used any of the three tools during my first week at school - now my mind is thinking about how these tools could be used earlier in my school year. I think it might be fun to introduce my science students to Showing Evidence earlier in the year and allow them to use it with lab reports. (I'll have to spend some time considering how to use it effectively instead of just using it as a "fun filler" like some technology activities are.

I'd like some ideas to share with my school's Math teachers to encourage them to begin their year using Thinking Tools. Any good recommendations that are specific to Math?

Glen,

Would it be possible for the math teacher to use the seeing reason tool as a way to answer the old math question, "Why should I learn this math?".

Seems like it would be good for the first few days of school as the teacher is explaining the course, expectations, etc. Just a suggestion.

glen_w

Jill,

You've provided a great prompt for using the Seeing Reason tool with Math. I'll be sharing your idea with the Math teacher who enjoys using Intel Teach tools most. He can then encourage the rest of the department to use the tool with their students. Thanks for providing a suggestion I can share .

Jill, I'm not a math person, but what if the teacher created a VR tool with all of the things and activities that the students do or use everyday that involve math.  The only problem is that there is a limit to the number of items the VR will take at a time.

I wonder if the students really know how much math is in their everyday lives.

Neil

shanmangin

Glen,

In response to your comments, all of the teachers thought they would use the tools as a whole class at first, just to demo them and give kids an idea of activities they would do throughout the year.

One of the teachers in my class was a GT teacher, and she was going to have kids brainstorm ways to solve problems, and then rank them in order of most successful strategies.  You could possibly do something similar with math...  What are the most successful probably solving strategies based on your experience?  (drawing a picture, working a similar problem, etc...)

tdiener

Shannon, It never ceases to amaze me at how many applications educators can find for these tools. Does anyone know of a way to share the projects teachers create? Transfer from my account to your account?

Tom, I wasn't sure, so I went to the teacher workspace and there is no way that I saw, to be able to send a project from one teacher to another.  Since it is possible in the Assessing Projects area, at least with the Intel created content, I would hope there would be a way to do the same with the tools projects.

Is anyone with the ability to do that listening? 

Neil

glen_w

I've not found a way to a "Transfer a Tool's project" between accounts ... BUT I did collaborate on a Tool's project w/ a teacher in Alabama. I set up an account and gave both of us the same login name and password. We both worked at creating the project and set up student teams. Our students were able to compare their work with a team in another state and I often heard loud comments about what someone had done. (Of course - this required me to get permission to do a "pilot project" as it went beyond the natural scope of my district's policies on student online work.)