14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 2:23 PM by aelmer

Promoting 21st Century Education

glen_w

I just watched the video 21st Century Education in New Brunswick, Canada. WOW - had to rewind and watch it again! What an incredible message. I've embedded the video here for you to watch. I pondered what my principal will say when I show it to him later this week. What would my superintendent say about the video? How would the other teachers in my building respond?

How do you think my students would respond as to this video as they are part of my class? Can I "bring it" the way the video implies?

<soapbox> The video has me pondering what and how I might create a similar engaging piece relating to my classroom and/or school. I wonder if I can convince my language arts teacher to have our students plan and create such a Public Service Announcement! My plate just became VERY full and I'm excited at the possibility. If student's create it, then I've got to get permission from my District IT people to allow posting for the World to see - this is a PSA I think needs to be made for EVERY school! </soapbox>

• Re: Promoting 21st Century Education
          glen_w

Update ... after watching the video FOUR times in a row (non-stop) I sent an email to my district's IT director. I've challenged him to consider it's implications for our district's schools. I asked if students could help create the video. I also requested that student created work like this be posted online for all to see. (Am I pushing too hard?) Time will tell if I've burned a bridge or not .

Glen, wow is an understatement!  I was so impressed that I just sent it to two of the administrators I work with on a regular basis.  I simply said "What if....?"

What a powerful video.

Keep us posted on what you IT department says.

Neil

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                glen_w

I just learned from my District IT director more information. Our district's Community Council has this as the top agenda item for discussion at their next scheduled meeting. (Now I wish they met more often than quarterly!) Progress is being made ... but I think the La Brea Tar Pits worked faster at causing the demise of ancient animals!

tdiener

Glen, Wow, great video. New Brunswick should be an LEA, with Intel they could match their vision to reality.

vkajones

Great video, I can't wait to share it with others. It makes you think about how fast the shift and change are happening.

Vanessa

Glen,

I saw the video you posted in a Langwitches blog and in some Twitter posts. It is getting around. I have also started, belatedly, reading Curriculum 21 Essential Education for a Changing World by Heidi Hayes Jacobs. I am only on chapter 5 but my main take away is to not "infuse" technology, but to replace the old with the new.

Jude

glen_w

Jude,

You hit a major component of 21st Education ... there are many times that technology should replace what was being used before. I think technology should be like Oxygen (here comes the Science Teacher.) We can't see oxygen - but it is always around us. We can't smell oxygen, but can't live without it. Oxygen is needed to accomplish almost every aspect of our lives. When we eat, oxygen is needed to get energy out of the food. No one thinks about breathing!

Technology should be constantly available for teachers and students. There should not be "Technology moments" - rather it should be used when it helps the learning process. This use might be for gaining information - or to share what was learned. Neither teacher nor student should have to think "Can I use technology for this?" (But that's my dream world and it's still not reality on the 3rd rock from the sun where I live !)

Glen,

I just finished a conversation regarding our technology to support science teachers. What really worries me is the sustainability of it via funding. If we purchase something for teachers...say a video resource, train them in it...and then a year later there is no funding to renew the subscrption then what. I know there are lots of free resources out there, but if things aren't readily available teachers just don't have the time to dig and then they fall back on the "old stuff". How are others dealing with getting sustainable funding for technology? (I know...in these economic times we are glad we have teachers).

Jude

glen_w

Jude,

You hit a HUGE reality wall here. We are thrilled to be teachers and have jobs. I am also very excited how many teachers remain employed in my district. Like you, I'm concerned with training that requires "annual subscriptions." My school does not have any "annual subscription" services. All our trainings are with hardware/software that remain in the department or classroom. Discussions with teachers at other schools in the district help me see they follow this same program. If training does not provide continuous information and support for teachers it is going to become yet another training that does not maintain momentum. I'm not sure teachers can or should be required to maintain the funding for support in their classrooms.

• How then do we get administrators or district office people to provide such support?
                                • How can we encourage Boards of Education to fully fund Technology as needed by both students and teacherss?