2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 12:18 PM by jkesl@wi.rr.com

Summer reading take aways.

Hi everyone,

Like most of you I had a summer reading list that, well, is mostly unread. I have started one book as I am determined to get at least one off my rather long and growing list.

Would you please share what book(s) you read recently and what the main take away was?

The one book I have started is Curriculum 21 Essential Education for a Changing World by Heidi Hayes Jacob. My take away, at the moment, is to not infuse technology but to replace projects or activities with technology. For example, if you have a  paper based mapping unit, replace it using Google Maps.

I look forward to hearing what you all have read and new books to add to my list.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Jude

• Re: Summer reading take aways.

I read Supporting Content Area Literacy with Technology: Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners by William Brozo and Kathleen Puckett. The authors pair literacy strategies with classroom technology. They demonstrate how instructional technology can become the media for teaching and learning literacy strategies in all subject areas. They provide great examples which can be adapted in the classroom. Our state has adopted literacy strategies based on Dr. Brozo's work. Does you state have any? How are they used by teachers?

• Re: Summer reading take aways.

Susan,

Thanks for sharing this. My state, Wisconsin, does not currently have specific literacy strategies, but my district does. Being a District In Need of Improvement we have been mandated by the state to create what is called the Comprehensive Literacy Plan (CLP) in which we suggest various literacy strategies, specifially for reading, in the various content areas.(It is only at 599 pages at the moment.)

Our new administration seems to be enthusiastic about including technology and recently guided the school board in lifting the ban on cell phones in schools. No one has money these days, but it will be interesting to see if technology to support these strategies is provided where they fit.

Jude