9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 9:33 AM by tdiener

Importance of 21st Century Skills in Technical Education

sadiasyed

As you all know that we are living in an increasingly diverse, globalized, complex, media saturated society where only certain certificate cannot the meet the emerging education demands. The technical education institutions  should incorporate 21st century skills into curricula within the context of academic standard. And how far incorporation of 21st century skills can be helpful for the students of Technical Education (in Pakistani scenario).

How  incorporation of 21st century skills can prove benefical for the third world students who have less outer exposure and fewer opportunities at institute level.

Please share your ideas in this regard.

Regards,

Sadia Syed

Lahore (Pakistan)

• Re: Importance of 21st Century Skills in Technical Education
          tdiener

Sadia,

I'd like to know more about technical education & vocational training in Pakistan. Is this the website for your educational agency: http://www.tevta.org/? Do

We have many wonderful CTE High Schools in the New York Metropolitan Area. The Barry Tech Center here in New York an outstanding institution and they're an Intel LEA http://www.barrytech.org.   Another amazing institution is the Bergen Tech Center in New Jersey http://bcts.bergen.org/. You might want to visit their websites.

sadiasyed

Tom,

You got right. Technical Education and Vocational Training Authority (TEVTA) is responsible of providing skill labour in Pakistan. You can visit the site  http://www.tevta.org for further information. My institute is also coming under the umbralla of TEVTA in Lahore. My Institute called Government Polytechnic Institute for Women, Lahore. I am teaching English Language and Report Writing there. English Language is a compulsory subject for every student. The students mostly have poor educational base and come to us to learn skill with studies. And I want to bring change with technology in what is being taught with PBL approach.

I will certainly visit your recommended sites.  

Sadia, in the US, some schools have many different "tracks" or certain areas of study.  If someone wanted to be in business, they took the business track, etc.  Is Pakistan's education system set up like that?  PBl would allow the students to work with other students in different areas of study to "learn" those 21st Century skills.

Neil

sadiasyed

Neil, thanks for response. I appreciate if you possibly can elaborate some business tracks for me. PBL is a new concept for public Education Institutions of Pakistan. Here cramming is in fashion and teacher centered approach in practice. I know proper incorporation of 21st century skills can commence a change in our education system and it can also enhance student learning.

Younus Zahid.bmpNo doubt 21st century teaching skills needs technical support. i fully agreed with you in this regard. Our teacher only coup  with the new challenges of time if he will equiped with new techniques and strategies of the running era. I think computer literacy the only way ,Our teacher meet these challenges.

Sadia!

As you say that The students mostly have poor educational base and come to us to learn skill with studies. And I want to bring change with technology in what is being taught with PBL approach. I teach at Secondary level classes English,Computer Science and G.Scince also. Our bad luck is that in our Public schools at PRIMARY LEVEL TEACHERS take no intrest to teach english. When a student come to us at secondary level he may not know about English. Some School taught English Subjects and some are not. When a student come at secondary he has no knowledge of english. At secondary level a teacher arrest in trouble. because some students have not any knowledge about english evev they do not know about Alphabet. It is our public sector deficiency which  our secondary school teacher could not meet it. There is no doubt that His is work very hard. HE TRIES HIS BEST BUT A STUDENT CANNOT WALK WITH him. If we enable our primary sector that they wok hard with this problem there is no cause that when a student reach to your institute he will be able to meet the problems at that level. and your comments about poorness back ground of student abolished.

I think it is your own experience about our primary school that works in public sector.. Our administration should attend this real problem which is our basic problem.

thanks

Younus Zahid