7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 11:33 AM by Rubina Jahangir

Welcome to the Future

glen_w

I watched this Brad Paisley video tonight and immediately thought about Intel Teach. The focus is on helping students see themselves as having a future. Listen closely to what many of the young people want to become. Youth comments might be scripted - but the goals are great! The song may be purchased as track #3 from the album American Saturday Night (Bonus Track Version) from iTunes or Amazon.com.

I ask my fellow Intel Teach educators:

• Who do you think needs to see this video?
      • How can we help students throughout the world achieve their potential?
      • How much of the video was "marketing" vs. encouraging learning?
        • Re: Welcome to the Future

Glen, thanks for sharing this video.  To answer your questions in reverse order:

3.  I'm sure some was marketing, but Brad is a proponent of education.

2.  As I watched the video the thing that kept coming back into my head was that we, as educators, MUST wake the establishment up as to how kids learn so that we can help them unlock their potential.

1.  Everyone should see this, especially school boards and govt officials.

I have been in my present position for three years and things have change so much during that time.  The education community needs to stop giving lip service to "reform" and start doing it.  The longer we put this off, the farther behind we fall.

Neil

glen_w

Neil,

You bring up a very good point ... we often find educators paying "lip service" to change but not really doing anything about it. Today I learned how important willingness to change can be. A very experienced teacher (read has taught MANY years) started using Individual Response Devices (clickers) this week. He commented "I can't believe how I know immediately if students understand what we are learning. What surprised me was how the students also know if they know the material immediately!" He continued by looking for our principal and tell him about how these clickers are changing his classroom and "every teacher should be have a set of these to use!"

Now my goal is to persuade the principal that even more important is getting a computer into the hands of every student! (I know - that's just a small challenge .)

What "ahh hah" moments have you experienced with teachers who suddenly "get" how technology benefits students?

tdiener

Glen, I feel a bit out of it. I never heard of Brad Paisley, but I went to his website and saw that he regularly sells out concerts with audiences as big as 55 thousand. Wow! Good to see a popular entertainer present this type of information. I always enjoy this type of video (a do you remember what it was like video). I think these started with the Shift Happens - Did You Know Video. But although the Shift Happen type of video is popular with educators, I'm not sure the general public enjoys them. Being presented by Brad Paisley appeals to a bigger audience.

glen_w

Tom,

I think you bring up a very important point. Many educators seem excited about ways to engage students and make changes in how education happens. I believe the key to this video is how Brad shares the importance of this change with his large audience. I'm impressed that the video is not "negative" towards education (as so many publications and videos are.) The point of this video (IMHO) is to start the discussion about a need for change. Only time will tell how and when such efforts are successful. For the sake of my students - I hope such change becomes the "norm."

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

thank you glen for sharing this video, i think i will watch it again

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

so amazing it summarize all we need

Rubina Jahangir

it is impressive, thanks for sharing.