5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2010 6:03 PM by holmesg

Ideas solicited...

Bonnie Feather

Everyone,

As a moderator in the Engage community, I enjoy watching for new names in the discussions.  I click on the names and look at profiles.  I have noticed that often we have people who enter a discussion once, on the day they join the community, and spend a day or two ( or a few) here with us, then they never log in again.

I am guessing that they are entering during their trainings, then they forget about the community after their training ends.

Let's put our heads together and look for some ideas: ways we might be able to keep these folks engaged in the community. 

For instance, I wonder if trainers might need to alert moderators when they are bringing a group in.  We might be able to give them quick responses and even direct them to some discussions they might have particular interest in...

I can't wait to hear your ideas!

• Re: Ideas solicited...
          Bonnie Feather

I know there is an area on the front page where discussions are featured.  I'm wondering if there might be some benefit to creating some links to discussions which might be of particular interest to new members of the community.  Tags could help with this...

Should we be asking trainers to show tags to teachers they bring into the community?  Do we have numbers on whether new members in trainings are mostly spending their time in their group only?

Is there a way that moderators could be informed of newly-minted Intel Teachers we could follow up with and encourage?

Bonnie

holmesg

Bonnie,

Maybe we can engage them through email conversations; possibly sending out a private email welcoming them to the community.  We could also check to see what their needs are and how we can provide assistance.  With so much on their plates, we might have to reach out to them to enourage them to return.

Bonnie Feather

For some time now, I've been sending welcome messages through the "private message" feature to each and every new Community member.  I think it might make a difference that I intercept them as soon as they join, since many are joining as a result of course groups, and they may not realize right away that the Engage Community has something for everyone, outside their groups.

To this end, my messages include links to a few of the discussions specifically and to the general topic areas of some topics.  I don't know if it's been effective, but several people have responded with their own messages, and I hope it might keep them active in the community beyond their courses.

Bonnie

tdiener

Bonnie, Tagging might be a big help. If only I could remember to tag my own postings.