5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 4:11 PM by roitzc

How do you keep up with it all?

Bonnie Feather

I love my job, and one of the reasons is that I have both some time and lots of motivation to surf around and check out new tools online.  I learn about new gadgets, apps for various pods and pads in Education, and much more that I can have "up my sleeve" to suggest to teachers planning projects and lessons.

I am often asked "How do you keep up with it all?"  Well, it truly isn't easy, and we all know that if we close our eyes for a minute, there's more fun valuable stuff out there for Educators.  Resources, tools, gadgets, on and on.

One way I keep up is by participating in the monthly "Mini Geek Fest."  Though it is sponsored by the Arizona ISTE affiliate, AzTEA, we usually have participants from all over the world.  Last Monday  we had someone from Melbourne, Australia, someone from Indonesia, and someone from Ireland as well as folks from many states other than Arizona!  It's held every second Monday of each month from 8-9 PM MST.  The Elluminate link as at the site linked above.

The session is quite informal, and anyone who raises their hand (It's held in the Elluminate webinar environment) may share a resource.

I always learn about something new to me, and I hear about education in other areas to boot!

Put it on your calendars!  I hope to see some of you there!

AND... Please share how you keep up with the constantly-changing world of tools and online resources!

• Re: How do you keep up with it all?

Great question Bonnie. I will be interested in what others have to say. I find that Twitter is one of my best resources...of course you have to find the right people to follow but that is part of the fun. I also subscribe to some feeds that seem to keep on top of the current stuff.

Jude

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: How do you keep up with it all?

I try to attend events that aren't necessarily geared for educators so that I can learn from a different perspective. I will be going to a conference next week called coastal social which looks at social media for businesses with keynotes about blogs, twitter and facebook. I think educators have a lot to learn from business marketing techniques. Even though a lot of what we do is free as PD people ....we still need to make the sale!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • How do you keep up with it all?
              Bonnie Feather

I wonder if others can share the ways they learn about new techniques for integration and new tech tools for the classrooms?  In the U.S., summer can be a time when educators are taking a little time to find new resources.  I'm hoping you will share your methods here and name your favorite blogs, Twitter feeds, FB pages, other social media, and places where you get your information.

We have so many threads in the community which list great tools, gadgets, and links to websites, but other than this community (!!! the BEST source in my book!!!) where do you go to learn?

~Bonnie

• How do you keep up with it all?
                Bonnie Feather

I guess I'm catching up a bit this morning...I was just reminded of a great Educators' PLN online other than this community () of which I am a member.  It's a ning, and you might find it interesting. 

Where else do you get ideas? 

~Bonnie