21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 3:14 PM by susangauthier

October Activity Social Bookmarking in Education

MrsSmoke

bunnyatwork_small.jpg

To coincide with October's Intel Teach Live's Webinar over social bookmarking, we are asking for you to share something unique about how you use Social Bookmarking.

How do you use tools like Diigo, Delicious, iKeepBookmarks, Live Binders, ShareTabs, JogTheWeb, Fur.ly, LinkBunch, Gl.am, and CiteULike professionally or with students?

Don't forget to share the tool and how it is used in a unique way.

For this activity, we are giving away a Echo Livescribe Digital Pen, which is now compatible with Evernote (another way to collaboratively share notes)!  Yay!  Every post or comment to this discussion is entered into the drawing, so jump into the discussion as much as possible.  Unfortunately, only US entries are eligible for the giveaway, but we definitely welcome all additions to the discussion.  The more we share the more we all grow.

• Re: October Activity Social Bookmarking in Education
          glen_w

My students often do webquests. I use Fur.ly (not opening tonight ) to provide my students with the links I have selected to help them in the quest. My students like how they only need to enter ONE url and they are able to access all of the web pages we use. An example of how we used Fur.ly this year was when students visited different web sites to determine if each represented good science or not. The ability to navigate back and forth between web pages using the < and > buttons at the top of the page seems very intuitive for students.

fbobo

I have used several different types of social bookmarking sites. I have found both Diigo and Delicious both useful for the classroom. Most recently during a science project , I required my students to use Delicious to post 5 sites that are required for research and share the list with my network. This way I could check the validity of the information and also check for plagiarism. I have also found using social bookmarking sites are a wonderful aid in collaboration while working on projects.

Bonnie Feather

Dyane asks what we are doing that is unique.

I am often amazed that just using social bookmarking in education is in itself unique!  I travel to many schools and work with teachers.  I am continually surprised (but must keep my surprise under my hat) at how many teachers don't know anything about it at all.  They have avoided using anything on the web outside of Google!

The irrational fear that teachers have bought into as a result of over-filtering and ill-conceived statements regarding cyber-safety is a blanket which has smothered much creativity and time-saving sharing among teachers.

OK. that's a large statement, but it's true in many schools and districts.  Have others detected similar attitudes?

So, for the teachers reading this discussion who feel their uses of social bookmarking are not unique, please go ahead and describe how you use them.  Keep in mind that our community here is read by many teachers who are not using it at all, and share your ideas.

I know teachers who:

• set up a classroom Delicious or Diigo account and add tags for particular homework assignments, research-and information-gathering project, projects ongoing in the class.  Students (and parents) may look up previewed websites.
              • highlight websites using the Diigo toolbar so that students may see what the educator thinks is important.  (the highlighting stays when the site is opened from Diigo)
              • build their social bookmarking network with teachers who teach similarly topics and curriculum.  They can then see what their network has bookmarked lately and share their own websites.  This is the REASON it's called social!  (And this feature is a real eye-opener for many educators)

Please share other ways you use social bookmarking, even if you don't feel it's unique! 

• Delicious is going away
                vkajones

Just heard about this. Delicious and maybe Flickr is going away.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/12/rest-in-peace-del-icio-us/

The article also has a link on how to export your bookmarks to another provider.

Vanessa

Dyane, your post got me thinking about how I use bookmarking sites.  As I started to think about that, I started looking at how I bookmark. To my surprise, I realized that I use a wiki for most of my bookmarking.  I have created several wikis that I use in my trainings.  On these wikis I put links to the specific sites I want to present to the teachers.  This way, all of the links are training specific.  It seems to work for me.  For the others that I just want, I use my computer, which I usually have with me, or I put them on a flash drive. 

Great question!

Neil

dgoodman_1958

For those of you using LiveBinders, they have added collaboration features.  Students can work on projects together using the same LiveBinder.  Classes can collaborate on a LiveBinder together.  Check out the overview through this collaborative LiveBinder.

glen_w

Deborah,

My only concern with students collaborating using LiveBinders is the requirement for each to have an email account. This is a huge challenge for elementary and middle school people. My district does not (and has not shown a desire to start) let these students under age 13 have email accounts.

I wonder "What Social Bookmarking tools can these younger students use that does not require them to have an email account?"

dgoodman_1958

Glen, I wouldn't recommend social bookmarking for K-5 students.  I still think we as educators must monitor the sites that students at this age use while teaching them how to evaluate the resources found.  I do not allow younger students I work with to google things of interest unless we are doing it as a group or class.  That way I can model how to evaluate the resources.  When working on projects, I use LiveBinders to gather and organize my resources for students to use for their research.  I then embed this LiveBinder in the wiki I use to facilitate the learning.   

Our 5th grade students do have email.  We use Gaggle.net which has a pretty good filter.  Although, it still keeps me busy as the emails they flag as inappropriate are sent to me.  In order to hold students accountable, I must regularly monitor these.  And, yes, I have suspended a couple accounts already for bullying.  There is a 'no tolerance policy' in place for things such as this. 

What I want to see happen is teachers using these accounts for instructional purposes to model the relevance to education.  We have 2 teachers at this time that use it for educational purposes.  The students work on projects at home and then email to the teacher or themselves so they can open and edit at school and vice versa.  I have one teacher who actually emails feedback to students on their projects.  And, yes, this coud be done through the wiki as well but email makes it more private. 

If you come across a social bookmarking site that allows educators to set up accounts with students, please share.        

glen_w

Deborah,

I did not think you were encouraging use of e-mail accounts for the younger students. My frustration is having 7th grade students who do not have accounts and are limited in what online tools they are allowed to use. I look forward to hearing positive results from the IT director of my district. Work of over 2 years has resulted in proposed changes in my district's online policies. I am not sure how long it will take for these changes to be adopted ... but it may allow students to use several of these tools. I hope my district provides email options so my students can learn what is appropriate and inappropriate with that tool as well.

I also find it important as a teacher to model use of tools for my students. I know there are ways to create "fake" email accounts for students, but that is something I think is wrong to do.

dgoodman_1958

I certainly understand your frustration with 7th graders not having email accounts and hope you see a change soon.  I'm sure you feel as though your hands are tied knowing the possibilities that are out there. 

I presented at our state Technicians Conference several years ago.  It was more of a roundtable discussion than presentation.  My colleague and I opened the discussion with "How do we bridge the gap between educational staff and technical staff?"  It was certainly an eye opener for me as I had never really thought of how they felt.  They didn't have an issue with opening sites that teachers had evaluated and found to be safe for student use.  Their problem in most cases were lack of planning on teachers parts to give adequate time for them to do the leg work needed to open the site.  Several were concerned about the inconsistant monitoring of students by staff and when things go wrong, it comes back on them.  That falls into that category of punishing all because of a few. This started a discussion between directors and those in charge of filtering.  They shared both tools they used for monitoring as well as policies they had in place to assure appropriate monitoring and use.  From that discussion, several went back to their districts and revisited their district policies and began to slowly open up some resources that were previously blocked.  My colleague and I felt that we had cracked opened the door to allow for more communication between technical folks and classroom teachers.

These online tools can most certainly enhance learning.  So, for those who are not there yet, how do we assure staff will monitor and teach appropriate use of online content and hold both staff and students accountable for inappropriate behavior?   

glen_w

Recently I realized a variation of "Social Bookmarking" my department is doing. When on a website we like, we drop the link into a shared Dropbox folder. the link usually gets used within an hour by everyone in the department. We have a weekly collaboration meeting and often discuss how these links benefit our students. I hope from this the department members learn how they can "share links" and we can go deeper into Diigo. Sharing links in this Dropbox folder is so much more than we have ever done before!

dgoodman_1958

Glen, I love dropbox!  It allows me to access uploaded files from my Smartphone, iPad, and MacBook.  I took a picture of an add in a store with my Smartphone and saved it as a PDF.  I then saved it to dropbox on my phone and pulled it up on my Mac at home to print. 

I was checking email on my iPad when I saw the email from Karen that we needed to upload our pictures again.  If I had saved that photo to Dropbox, I could have uploaded it from there.  I will have to upload from my Mac today.  This is a great tool that can have wonderful application as we move more toward Cloud Computing.

glen_w

Another great cloud application is the iCloud Desktop. The free version has 3GB of storage available. For $39.99 you can upgrade to 100GB of online storage. Some of the available applications include: Calendar, Instant Messenger, Mail, Money Manager, Photos, Presentation, ToDo, Word Converter, and Write. I do not see iCloud Desktop as a replacement for Dropbox or Google Docs, but as a similar tool. One of the applications is a Browser ... this seems unnecessary if you are using a browser to access your iCloud Desktop .

One of the interesting features of the iCloud Desktop is support for: Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone. These devices work similar to having a USB stick for a laptop or desktop computer. I'm not sure this is the ultimate tool, but it is interesting - especially considering the upcoming release of the Google OS and a non-disk netbook.