4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 7:21 PM by glen_w

Science and Evidence

glen_w

Recently I worked with my middle school students to help them understand that Science is a way of knowing that is used by many people, not just scientists. I challenged these students to demonstrate their understanding of topics. Students were asked to visit several different web pages. I used fur.ly as a way to ensure students could find each web page easily. Our class link was: http://fur.ly/1ryn. Students were asked to identify an interesting statement on each web page. Students were also asked to select one statement from each web page and identify if this statement illustrated accurate science or inaccurate science. At the conclusion of the activity, students were asked to respond to the following:

Based on your site visits answer the following questions:

1. Why should science be based on observable evidence?
      2. How can you identify observable evidence in an article?
      3. How can you determine if a site is “authentic” or “not authentic”?
      4. Why should you believe (or not believe) everything you read?

We got into a fantastic class discussion as students shared information they found to be accurate and inaccurate. I enjoyed hearing many students respond to a peer by saying, “I agree – that statement is not correct. Science never …” It was also fun to listen to comments like, “WOW – I did not even read that sentence. Show me where it is on the web page!” What other web pages would you recommend I consider using next year with my students?

In my opinion, problem solving is one of the key components of good science. What activities do you do with students to help them understand that all people must solve problems?

• Re: Science and Evidence
          tdiener

The Tree Octopus site is very amusing! I downloaded my Trick-Or-Treat For Tree Octopus box and will put it out tonight.

• Re: Science and Evidence
            julesfischy

My daughter is given a C.O.W - challenge of the week - it is a problem solving problem - mostly math related but there are times when it has been science related as well.  She has a week to work on it- look for ways to solve it ask questions, etc.  What she has realized since starting this at the beginning of the year is that each challenge has a different answer and a different way to find that answer - so she has realized that to solve a problem you must also recognize the process.