40 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 9:29 PM by glen_w

How Has Being a Part of Intel Teach Changed Your Teaching?

MrsSmoke

bunnyatwork_small.jpg Being a part of Intel Teach has definitely made me a better teacher overall.  From my curriculum framing questions to the wonderful project ideas I develop through the Intel Teach courses, I know that I'm learning to master my craft.

How have your teaching styles and classroom experiences changed from being a part of an Intel Teach course?  Are you more enthusiastic to discover new technologies for the classroom?  Developed collaborations with experts or other classrooms? Posted an essential question in your classroom?  Helped you become more of a facilitator?

We're curious to hear your story.  Please share your good news with us!

• Re: How Has Being a Part of Intel Teach Changed Your Teaching?

The use of Intel teaching tools has run parallel with my professional development and acquisition of technology skills. Since I have had the opportunity for learning and communicating with educators and facilitators associated with the community, I have deepened my understanding of some of the resources and ideas surrounding the effective integration of technology into the classroom and curriculum. This has been reflected by students who are leading the way for others to learn more about the tools we have available. I couldn't have accomplished these tasks without the use of the knowledge shared by the Intel Community.

lhoffman4

When I took the Intel Thinking with Technology course, I was really been impressed with the three Thinking Tools that Intel offers.  Students respond well to hands-on activities so completing the ranking, maps, and showing evidence tools in a lab where all students have access to computers is great.  I have had students work individually as well as in groups using these tools.  It's amazing how much discussion these three tools generate when students populate the tools with their own ideas.  Students are not aware of how much thinking they are really doing, yet the tools force the students to use higher level thinking skills.

The Visual Ranking and Seeing Reason tools make good pre-assessment assignments.  Then it is equally valuable for students to revisit their projects using these two tools as a post-assessment assignment to see how their thinking has changed after going through a unit of study.  I especially like the ability for students to see how others think using the collaboration button.  Thanks Intel for some great student-centered activities.

Lynne

Dyane, I have been using PBL in my classroom for many years, so becoming an Intel trainer was a no brainer for me!  Durning my last year in the classroom, I had my students create a music video.  I had worked with the 5th grade teachers on their "States" unit.  The kids were so engaged, they we asking to come in during recess to work on the projects.  Who could say no to that!  it was great.

In my current position, I have seen teachers literally transform their classroom because of the Intel training.  I have seen Special Ed students be the "go to" person, because they had been involved in a classroom where the Intel Teach model had been used.

What more can I say--Intel Teach works and rocks!!!

Neil

I think just taking the time to step back and really look at how I taught has been huge. No one really tells you all this when you take classes to be a teacher (or maybe you are too wrapped up in getting it all done to get a grade that you don't remember). The most powerful thing that Intel did for me as a teacher was to make me model for my students. I train teachers now and I always share with them the power of modeling projects for their students. Many teachers never do the projects (technology or otherwise) that they ask their students to do. Modeling eliminates problems, provides the student with a clear picture of expectation and helps the teacher to be more confident.

~Jennifer

shanmangin

I only teach staff-development workshops (no longer in a classroom), but I use aspects from the Intel Teach courses in all of my workshops now.  I provide more opportunities for teachers to collaborate and have discussions in my courses.  I often use Google Docs or the Visual Ranking Tool to facilitate these discussions.  I use wikis in every workshop to share resources and links and allow teachers to add their own contributions to the site.  It is a great way to follow-up with participants after the workshop is over.  I also think that I plan my courses better.  Instead of just stringing together a bunch of activities, I really think about what the main objective is and how the activities relate to each other.  At the end of the workshop, I give participants a time to reflect on what they've learned and what they plan to take back to their classroom.

Overall the Intel Teach program has greatly improved my skills as a teacher and presenter!  I am so glad to be part of this program

vkajones

I have been involved with the Intel Teach program for the past ten years. I have grown each year with the program as I have been inspired to always take my teaching and learning to the next level. Through the Intel Teach program, I have assembled an impressive portfolio of knowledge, skills, and tools that continue to propel me on my way to being a life-long learner! High quality integration, interactive collaboration, new pedagogy, relevant materials and engaging hands-on activities has always allowed me to be pushed beyond the boundaries of my technology integration and skill level. Through the various Intel Teach education programs, I have be provided the opportunity to transform my own learning and share my knowledge and skills with students and teachers in my district, but also to inform and educate my peers throughout the United States.

I continue to enjoy the journey of learning with the program and how it has enhanced and made a difference for students, teachers and administrators. I consider Intel Education to be an outstanding professional development resource where cutting-edge tools help to engage both students and teachers and allow them to become global collaborators who transform teaching and learning in the 21st century.

Vanessa

glen_w

Since I first went through my first Intel Teach course, I have modified how I work with students. I regularly look at my core and design lessons in ways that engage students more deeply than before. I also review all lessons for possible technology implementation. I see technology as a tool that helps students learn better. Early on, I saw technology as "an add-on" or "filler" that  hooked students and got their interest. Thanks to Intel Teach, I now see technology as a valuable integrated part of my student's learning. I find I constantly reflect on each lesson for ways I can improve how students learn and if there is a better way to incorporate technology to show deeper understanding of the material.

Since I got my training on Intel Teach course I changed my perspective on my students I have left them with an opportunity to discuss and become more planners and carried out their projects They  have become more responsible than before

I realized that they are different than before I know things about them and myself that I didn't" know before

dgoodman_1958

Dyane,

I am most certainly more enthusiastic about new technologies to enhance student learning and creating PBL opportunities for students.  Because I am a technology facilitator at a 3rd through 5th grade school, I help teachers "upgrade" previous units into PBL units.  I am constantly looking for collaboration opportunities for myself both personally and professionally and for students.  My position also gives me multiple opportunities to facilitate learning with both teachers and students.  Intel Teach has made me reflect often about my teaching and learning.   

I have especially enjoyed the collaborative aspect of Intel Teach. As an educator, I have been better able to incorporate 21st century teaching practices into my workshops and trainings. I think for teachers, Intel Teach enables them to better address thinking skills while providing student-centured learning environments.

Being a part of Intel teach has changed ny life totally and it’s been almost 10 yrs now – A decade!!! I have literally grown with the program, I have seen changes in technology take place and the growing awareness as far as ICT is concerned in my country. 10 yrs back when we started with the program, there were hardly any lab in schools, traditional use of IT was rampant, people hardly understood what we were talking about. However things have really caught up now and I am no more the same person. I can’t even imagine going back to school and teaching using the blackboard and chalk !!!

glen_w

Ratan,

Like you, I remember when there was a "computer lab" and only the teacher in that classroom used or allowed students to use technology. After becoming part of Intel Teach, I now look for opportunities to let students use technology in every lesson I teach. Part of my planning now includes what will help students understand the material and how can technology aid this learning. Conversations with my principal regularly involve how can we help students become literate with 21st Century skills.

At a recent faculty meeting we learned that 25% of our faculty still do not think it is important to help students become technology literate. This is an area my principal and I have now identified as a need for faculty to understand how andy why students need help with technology literacy.

I'm interested in knowing what other challenges are faced due to ideas educators currently hold.

Bowerman@cox.net

I'm now at a school where some teachers feel that technology is an add-on and not an integral part of the curriculum, particularly in the primary grades. I've heard teachers say that it's ok if their students don't use technology until they get to third grade because they think I'll be able to teach students the "computer." We have a long way to go with some of our teachers so they understand that it's not about the stuff but how to use the "stuff" for meaningful instruction. I think since we've moved away from the Intel Teach program, teachers have lost the understanding of how important building meaningful units and integrating technology and assessment into projects is. Over the last five years all of the teachers in my district have gotten more "stuff" (Smartboards, projectors, laptops, etc.) but not the true professional development necessary for supporting these tools. I continue to use my training and experience and trying to model this for others, but we need more of a forum in our district to return to the quality training we had with Intel Teach.

Glen

Ever since I became an Intel ST I never actually went back to teaching in the classroom, however I work very closely with teachers. Recently I was a part of a Research Workshop on data collection and analyses and a teacher had some up with this research question which explored the Impact of ICTs on teaching and even at that platform, I could not help but comment because almost all of them were talking about using ICT as a tool for presenting and disseminating information. When I asked them about how this could be used as a tool which facilitated problem Solving and collaboration per say, They all looked at me as if I was talking double Dutch- Way to go!!!!!

And yes I forgot to add the , the presenter himself was not convinced as he referred to a reserach which pointed out that rather than having a positive impact, ICTS were having a negative impact on teaching. Quite likely beacuse  the said technology is not being used efffectively !

glen_w

Ratan,

I can understand your frustration with the thoughts of these teachers. I often find teachers at my school talking about how they use technology "to present" information to students. Several get so excited about a multimedia presentation they used in class. When we discuss having students use the technology I often hear these teachers comment "they can do things like that in their computer class." I try to allow students to think deeper and solve problems using technology when appropriate. Payback came a few months ago when a former student came to see me. She commented about how "boring" her current classes were. As she continued in our discussion she finally complained that her current teachers "did not let me make choices about how I will show I've learned the subject." I encouraged her to continue using technology whenever her teachers would allow it and be patient in trying to help teachers learn the power of student use of technology.

I agree that the misuse of technology by teachers and/or students may be one of the biggest challenges we face in education. When used properly technology is an excellent tool to learn as well as demonstrate learning. My principal allowed me to take one day a week this past year and work with math teachers to learn how to involve students in using technology. By the end of the school year, I think 25% of these teachers were actually allowing students to use the technology. The rest of the teachers still saw technology as a "let me show you" presentation tool for teachers. I'm hopeful I can help the other teachers see how student use of technology can improve learning.

amcmill

I have been a district level technology facilitator for seven years and have been lucky enough to have used Intel Teach (previously Intel Teach to the Future) for all of my years as a facilitator.  Our district has trained well over 300 teachers with this program.  We have watched our teachers grow as better questioners, more willing to try new things, and especially support the development of 21st Century Skills.  I like to think that Intel has taught me how to be a better teacher.  Now the focus is not simply on how to use technology, but how to TEACH by engaging students, differentiating instruction, making learning real, developing higher-order thinking skills and by showing that learning is an ongoing process! Thanks, Intel Teach, for invigorating our teachers and engaging our students!

Being part of the intel community has helped open and change my way of thinking. I truly enjoy the discussion, collaboration, and the support given from the community. I am more focused on preparing students to become more globally competitive and prepared for the 21st century. I am more conscientious and I've become more strategically in how the various ways intel can be used my content area and how to reach different types of learners. As a building level coach, I use my intel knowledge to share integration strategies with teachers and other staff member. I appreciate everyone's contribution to the intel community. I am definitely more enthusiastic about using more technology for teaching. I already have two scheduled staff development activities planned that with include information learned from intel, as well as, some model lessons. Thanks!!

As a school based instructional leader it has opened my eyes to see that as we evaluate teachers on facilitating our students with 21st Century skills we as Instructional School based leaders must ensure that we evaluate ourselves to ensure that we are facilitating and modeling 21st century Skills for our teachers. I am enjoying my Intel experience because I am able to see and hear what other educators are experiencing not only in Greensboro, NC but across the US and the world. The discussions that are held are very intriguing and informative for me as an educator.  Intel has provided me with more insight from a current teacher's point of view because things are a lot different now from when I was a classroom teacher. In order for us to get proficient students we must develop and nurture proficient teachers with the needed skills and abilities. I am very excited to be a member of the Intel Community.

The Intel Teach program has helped me to be a better teacher and a better facilitator.

I've been part of Intel Teach for about 8 years.  During my first Intel training, I was excited to learn how to deepen student's understanding of content standards by including higher order thinking skills in projects.  Learning to create essential questions was an important step in helping me to focus and create projects that caused students to think at higher levels.

Intel's assessment information and resources expanded my knowledge of assessment.  I learned to formatively assess students and develop rubrics that more accurately assessed targeted learning objectives and not just technology.

Since then I've trained many of my district's beginning and veteran teachers in Intel's Teach program.  It's exciting to see teachers create cross-curricular projects, get excited about project-based learning, P21 skills, and technology in their content areas.

I have been associated with Intel from last 6 months. I started incorporating technology in my lessons immediately after my first session of Intel getting started course. Since i teach "Literature in English" to Senior students i initially started mapping my lessons on multimedia format. The pictorial presentation really made them learn otherwise dry facts. I started with the biography of authors incorporating google maps to increase their retention of authors birth places..and the places that have been an inspiration to the master pieces...also some well rehearse read extracts from you tube helped them with pronunciation....i made them draw descriptive preludes to the novels and the keen interest and enthusiasm students displayed was really heart warming...i feel i have learned in the past three months what i wasnt able to in my past 4 n half years of teaching.. i wish to be a better teacher now after taking this Intel course..I wish to design so many more challenging projects and exercises for my students to "create", involve in "higher order learning" and become successful 21st century learners.

wiginb

Prior to Intel Teach, instruction for me was all about the facts.  I was concerned with dispensing knowledge and more about how to become a better teacher rather than how to teach... but thanks to the PBL and Teaching Thinking curriculum, I am now concerned with creating learning situations where students discover, relate, and master big ideas.  Intel Teach was where I first learned to "Begin with the End in Mind", a concept that changed my life as well as the way I teach.  I have learned to talk less and listen better.

I have also been influenced by the awesome talents of so many dedicated educators.  I am inspired continually by your projects, ideas, and passions for teaching and learning. I greatly admire what you all do, but especially those of you that are in P-12 classrooms.  You guys ROCK!  Especially you, Smoke! 

glen_w

Barry,

I so appreciate your mentioning how previously you were all about learning the facts and details. After my first exposure to Intel Teach, I changed my student expectations. Previously it was all about the details. Now I am concerned with their understanding and ability to communicate that thinking. I find I often ask more questions so I may understand student thinking better. I was recently observed by our Assistant Principal. She commented on the questioning and how I seemed to try and draw out student thinking more than she expected.

MrsSmoke

I have to tell you, Barry, it is because of Intel Teach that I can come up with any of my hair-brained ideas.  As often as I have taught the Intel courses, I have such a priviledge to walk through the curriculum ideas at Designing Effective Projects, ways to support my students in Assesing Projects, and the facilitator manual to help me improve my teaching.

I'm consistently driven to find new ways to inspire my students and help them make global connections.  I want them to step beyond their small communities and discover how each one of us can impact the world in a positive way, and it's because of Intel Teach that I teach this way.  I love it!

As a new member of the INTEL community, I am in the process of changing my instruction.  I have always loved incorporating technology into my lessons. I have always enjoyed watching my students use the technology that is available.  There is an excitement to them that can only come from enjoying what they are doing.  I look forward to being more effective in my usage of technology, and I especially appreciate all the discussions that are helping to broaden my definition of what technology is and can be!  I wish I had done this years ago.

Intel Teach has changed my perspective on teaching altogether, before this program i used to integrate technology in my teaching practices only as a filler, now i have been associated with the program for 5 years, eversince i joined as an ST i have not interacted with students as such, but i interact with teachers alot. If given the opportunity i dont think i would ever be able to use chalk and talk in my class.  

holmesg

Since becoming involved with INTEL, my pressentations, whether with students or adults, are student/participant centered and began with an Essential question that they come back to at the end of the session.

Well to start with, I would like to emphasize that I wish I could become an Education Minister in my country and make it compulsory for all my teachers to go through Intel Teach Trainings. Back in 2002 when I joined Intel Education Program, I had no idea that a computer could be such an effective tool in teaching and learning process. It was just a MACHINE to me. But Now I believe what would have I done without it? I feel incomplete in the classroom if it is not a 21st century classroom in Intel Teach terminology. I had no second opinion on this that effective technology integration is a must and it transforms you a teacher and facilitator.

I no longer work as Intel Senior Trainer but as a Director of “Continuous Teachers’ Professional Development Program” with Govt. I say I owe it to Intel Teach Program. Where I am today is because of this program and my great Senior Trainer Ratan Salem. I will not be wrong to say that I 100% believe that this program has been in great hands with great people who believed in themselves and know that they are agent of change. The minute they went through this program their whole outlook to life changed. They knew that they had the power to bring about change in education and they proved it. I am happy that in the last 9 years I worked as Senior Trainer I brought a change in people’s life as Intel Teach representative. At my present job in public sector, I plan/arrange trainings for private low cost schools. Recently my organization has approved to finance 5 computers for each school for IT education in pilot phase (25 schools). The concept of IT integration is still new to many people here (strange). We are in a process of hiring 25 Subject Specialists for IT. I am waiting for the day when my department is asked for their enhancement and training. I wait for that day when I will be able to take Intel Teach to far flung low cost private schools where children have access to technology!!

sadiasyed

Intel Teach has changed my perspective on teaching altogether. I started incorporating technology in my lessons immediately after Essential online course back in 2009. From 2010 I even started using Wiki with my class. Being part of Technical Education where students are come with the aim to be skilled, Intel training has helped open and change my way of thinking. Its inspired me to educate my students by going beyond the bookish knowledge even remaining within the boundaries of prescribes curriculum. The use of Wiki is a new concept in Technical Education and I am the only one using it confidently with my class in TEVTA. This credit goes to Intel which introduced me with a new mode in education. Prior to wiki I was truly enjoying a few 21st century skills but now I am more conscious to integrate and incorporate major skills in my lesson plan. I wish to replace just lecture policy with PBL and student centered approach everywhere in my community but still it’s a dream. But on my part my focus and aim is to prepare students to become more globally competitive and prepared for the 21st century. I am using my Intel experience and knowledge of integration strategies with other staff members through trainings but frustrating aspect is 'Only a few are interested to change their ways of teaching' and majority love to adhere to old teacher centered method .

I must appreciate the active contribution from Intel community also in my learning process which is still going on.....

glen_w

Sadia,

I read how we both have changed our ideas on education because of Intel Teach. I regularly change how I teach lessons because of something I learned from an Intel Teach course. My students enjoy developing 21st Century Skills - as I am sure your students also enjoy. My science students are developing a multimedia project. They have many online tools to select from. I know each student is very excited to do the project. Like you I thank Intel and the great people I interact with on this community.