1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 7:18 PM by glen_w

Can you see your students in the data?

julesfischy

The Intel Education Newsroom released the article Are American Teens Asking for a Challenge? that discusses research findings regarding students confidence in math and science. In the Huffington Post Diane Bryant Discusses The Kids Are Alright. Or Are They?

After checking out the research and other comments what do you think?  Do you think it accurately reflects your students?  Share your thoughts.

• Re: Can you see your students in the data?
          glen_w

I was not really surprised at the results of the student survey. The teens I teach seem similar to the survey results. They have a great deal of confidence in their "knowledge" and "abilities" in science. Many of the students, however, struggle to know how to do science themselves. They like science, they tell me their interest in science, but often do not realize they do science by exploring and inquiring. My efforts have focused on giving students opportunities to explore concepts related to our state core. These students are very surprised our experiments will not result in the same answer for all lab groups.

My opinion is that my students come to my classroom with minimal knowledge of the how scientists solve problems. As we work through the year, many students respond with something like "science is like problem solving." (That's a big payoff for me as my goal is to develop critical thinkers and problem solvers.) How can we help students and their teachers gain comfort in discovering science and inquiring how to solve problems?