6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2011 10:13 AM by glen_w

In a 1:1 environment how do students access content?

julesfischy

Has your content gone all digital now that you are in a 1:1 environment?  Do your students have text books in addition to their computer or is everything digital?

• Re: In a 1:1 environment how do students access content?
          blancaedu

With the implementation of a 1:1 environment comes the task of getting content to students quickly and efficiently on a daily basis. Some schools I work with are starting to convert all of their curriculum to a digital format. Students are using online textbooks and online databases to access content. In a virtual learning environment, or VLE, teachers can create courses or websites where students can download information. Using a cloud solution like Google Apps for Education, teachers "share" assignments with students in order for students to access content.Share.JPG In a Google Site, teachers attach documents to a page in their website, allowing the document, image or other content to be viewed, downloaded and modified.

Ahmt.jpg

Some VLEs include a Dropbox where students can "drop" homework into a folder for the teacher to retrieve it. They usually include another folder called a "Share" folder that allow teachers to share documents and resources with their classes. Other VLEs, like Moodle, allow content to be made available using folders or "blocks". Still others like Elluminate, allow content to be distributed online, in a "push to user" format. As students are participating in an online space, a teacher can "push", or transfer, content to a student. The content can be a file, or a website link to information.

I'm sure there are tons of other ways that students are receiving content. Love to hear more!

sshott

Blanca -great ideas you have here. What I am seeing when working with 1:1, many schools are not providing a VLE or training on this - and although the early adopters like you will know about and use these types of tools, others don't -  and it is important to share this knowledge with those who are not the early adopters. Your opinion - what do you like using best and why? Thanks for sharing!!

blancaedu

Shelley, I agree that sometimes not enough PD is given to teachers when a 1:1 is implemented. Luckily, the 1:1s I'm working in were planned with the knowledge that there had to be a place to allow students to access and share content. An effective implementation plan will have this considered this.

That said, in my experience, Google Apps for Education has made it very easy for teachers and students to push content to each other in a quick and efficient way. For a district that does not currently own a content or course management system (like Moodle, or Blackboard, SharePoint or Mahara, etc. which can be time-consuming, if not expensive, to implement), Google Apps for Education can be set up in a matter of days, does not require a server, and allows a teacher to get their own website up and running quickly. One of the most important pieces of a 1:1 deployment is having a "space" that a student and teacher call their own. A strategy for teachers to keep students on task (the availability of the net of course poses a challenge) is to make sure the expectation is set early. As students walk into their classroom, they are directed to a space with a bellringer and an assignment. They are not wondering where they are going next. The beauty of Google is also that students can immediately collaborate on assignments with each other in real time. In addition to the well known "Office Suite", Google is now integrating their other services into Google Apps like Blogger and Picasa. A virtual portfolio can be started almost immediately. There are many benefits.

A school that is not ready to adopt Google Docs might want to use their school website provider tools (content management systems usually have webspace and discussion forums available for teacher accounts - eChalk and SchoolWires come to mind), and/or good old email (this is another issue in a 1:1 deployment that needs to be considered - whether or not students are provided email by the school). A professional developer not involved in the initial deployment will want to ask about any and all content/course management systems that are available before providing PD. I always ask what is native to the district in order to place my materials in their "space". This makes a teacher more comfortable because part of the PD is already in a space they are familiar with.

I guess the important thing to remember is that in order to help teachers feel comfortable in a 1:1 setting, they need strategies as well as certain elements to be in place before deployment. The lack of communication about how to push out content or collect it can certainly pose a threat to its success but luckily, there is usually SOMETHING that a district has available whose use can be maximized. You just have to know the right questions to ask!

I have been in a 1:1 environment for 8 years and we are now making the move toward a digital environment.  The past 3-4 year there has been significant movement.  We still have textbooks and we use our library extensively but teachers are moving more and more to digital approach.  The implementation of Moodle as a teaching tool has been a big factor in that movement.  That tool allows staff to easily post assignments and students to hand them in digitally. Students can also comment on each others work if you want that to happen. We are becoming more and more digital each year.

glen_w

While I do not directly have a 1:1 environment, I still need to have my students access content in my 2 laptops/student classroom. I have some in-class textbooks we use as reference materials. Students have multiple sites available online to help with content. We have a Moodle server to assist in sharing content between students and parents.

What other server / management tools are teachers using when students use multiple computers in the classroom?