5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 10:51 AM by Mahmoud_Abdelaal

how one to one classes possible in India ?

In the normal class room learners acquire concepts best through the modified input of the teacher. This means that the teacher adapts their teaching strategies to the level of the student and in one-to-one classes the amount and type of input can be maximised by the teacher to benefit the student. How this can be possible in countries like India with teacher pupil ratio is around 1: 40?

• Re: how one to one classes possible in India ?
          sshott

Hi Bergin,

It is interesting that your class ratio is 1:40 - my son's school has that same ratio - in Oregon - and as I talk to teachers around the world, I am finding this is not uncommon. Not what we want, but not uncommon.

So technology can really assist a teacher in helping with differentiating for her/his students. I am going to put a few examples below and then count on the other great teachers out there to add.

• If a class is working on a project where they are researching cultures of the world, a teacher can put a variety of reading level websites up - something so that all the students can research successfully  - these websites can be put up on a wiki, they can be put in the students individual folders on the intranet or they can be emailed
          • Scaffolds can be given to the students effortlessly - via the same means as above. If students have individual login accounts to a eportfolio folder, the teacher can drop different scaffolds in - scaffolds such as templates and they can be different based on the level of the student - so those students who need more scaffolding will have a different template than those that don't
          • Links on a teacher/class wiki to simulations. These allow students to go back on their own timeline - and those students who need more time can take the time to return over and over to watch and hear about new concepts.
          • Podcasts - teachers can put podcasts up on a wiki that students can access as well. The students can go to the podcast, download, and listen to the teacher explaining a concept or sharing an idea.

I find that dropping items into my students folders was easy - and it got them what they needed. It took a bit of time, but not that much. The technology really made my life easier - even as I did more differentiation for my students - whether I was working on a class or 26 or 36.

So the rest of you out there - what other ideas do you have?? Or comments?

I do agree with Shelley

As we are here also in " Egypt" - in most of cities - is the same as in India. It's difficult for a teacher to practice teaching with this number of students in so limited time for a single teaching period , where it's illogical that a teacher will make sure that each student is able to get the main concepts in the unit within this limited time. So , thanks to technology , teachers can do this effectively with less time and effort using any of the web tools included in the Intel Teach course which are being well known everywhere now. Also , I'm so interested in conducting the CMPC as a model for 1:1 computing teaching strategy. It enables teacher to give direct instructions , collect feedback , make quizzes , mentor students progress ..etc. In my own opinion teachers are lucky to have this technology as they won't be restricted by time or number of students to make the best outcome of teaching process.

Hi shelly ,

I understood the concept that technology can really assist a teacher in helping with differentiating for her/his students. I also use technology in my classroom. But I am talking about the majority teachers from Indian schools in rural area. In India the performance of the students are evaluated in terms of marks. If the students can able to vomit the content given in the text book, the can be considered as good achievers. Teachers also prepare and teach in such a way to achieve the above said goal. So they are very eager to finish their syllabus given to them. There is no evaluation for project based learning. Since there is no examination in project based learning no important is given to them. Also after the successful launch of the project sarva shiksha abhiyan more number of computers is provided in Government schools and training was given to the teachers. But lack of internet facility they cant able to connect their class room to the world.

So, Because of

1. Lack of evaluation set up in India
                2. Lack of internet connectivity in schools
                3. Lack of computer knowledge among primary and upper primary teachers
                4. Lack of usage of  technology in the classroom

It is difficult to develop one to one classes in India.

sshott

It sounds like there need to be quite a few changes before you could successfully implement a 1:1 program in the areas you are talking about. We have to think about the whole package. Standards and examinations/assessments need to change, infrastructure needs to be in place, and proper teacher PD has to be funded. What teachers need to realize is that the deeper a student understands a concept (as they usually do with PBL) the better they are going to do on the exams. It takes time - and as teachers like you model and share what you do, and how you do it, and how your students score, other teachers will slowly start to shift their practices. This isn't easy - but with persistance, and time, it will pay off.

Hi Bergin

I think we share similar concerns to implement a 1:1 program in our schools. However, if you don't have internet connection , you can still use 1:1 in your school if you have LAN that will help you to connect between teacher's laptop and students' netbooks. The teacher will be able to share his screen with his students and do other tasks that can be done without internet connection . On the other hand , students will not benifit from the available resourses on the web. Concerning teaching with projects , teachers can practice PBL with thier students even if the evaluation and corriculmn don't support this way of teaching. I mean , teacher have to beleive that students will benefit more if they learned with projects side by side with ususal corriculm content i.e metacogntive skills and 21 century skills , which they won't acquire unless they do projects. It's a a challange but not impossible .