4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 10:26 AM by sawyert2

The traditional teacher-what is she ?

Do we need to consider the roles of teachers in the classroom? Are we headed towards a teacher less classroom? Is technology making the traditional teacher Obsolete?

• Re: The traditional teacher-what is she ?

A teacher should possess knowledge of the fundamentals of the subjects that he teaches. But the role of the teacher is not to teach the knowledge but he should help the child to learn. Helping the child to learn is differ from teaching the subject.Most of the traditional teachers are try to teach the concept to their child. But teachers of 21 st century helps the child to learn.A school without teacher is just like a body without the soul, a skeleton without flesh and blood, a shadow without substance.So, teacher in the class room can not be replaced by some other material resources. Teacher only understand the learning ability of the child. So tradition teachers should come out from their traditional method of teaching and he has a big role to balance the technology integration and the development of the child.So, responsibility is more for a modern teacher. My point is we can't replace any material resources in the place of a teacher.The teacher also come out from his traditional oral teaching methodology. 

I agree.  Yes, there are some things that can be replaced with machines/other resources.  However, a teacher is not one of them.  Do we want to get to a world where there are no human interactions?  We already talk through the computer, text instead of calling, etc.  There is value in actually learning from others and social interaction.  It would be crazy to have teacher less schools!

The most effective teacher acts as facilitator of the learning process.  I agree with your idea and love the analogy.  I know that in my own personal experience sometimes the student needs a human to support them on some other level other than just academic questioning.  For example, a student may need someone to be there and let them know that it's okay to get upset or sad, but you can focus that energy and come out better for it.  We don't just teach academic objectives.  We also teach life skills and how to be a life long learner.

I think it is sad that we are even thinking of taking teachers out of the classroom. Many students are already left alone too much at home. A teacher can be the one constant in some child's life. Teachers need to be there to help students understand how and what they should be learning as well as offer resources to help them. Our students need more personal interaction to help them deal with the overwhelming stresses of this technological society.