27 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2011 8:43 AM by susangauthier

Webinar topics for 2011

julesfischy

What types of webinars would you like to see in 2011?  Is there a particular topic or tool that you think would be useful?  Share your ideas in this discussion thread.

• Re: Webinar topics for 2011
          vkajones

I would like to see webinars on video podcasting using applications as well as Web 2.0 tools. I would also like to see a webinar on creating and publishing Ebooks.

Vanessa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Bonnie Feather

How about highlighting some folks' implementation of their Intel Project Unit Plans?

I still think some "how-to" webinars would be useful on topics such as podcasting for teachers who really are not sure how to do it.  Also backchanneling or other tools in actual use could be video-taped and featured along with the teacher who was using the tool.

~Bonnie

vkajones

Bonnie,

In February, we will feature an Intel Teach Live overview session of all of the Intel Teach professional development. It would be great if participants could share units, or ideas from any of the Intel Teach programs. Just send either Dyane or myself an email if you would be interested in sharing your units.

Thanks for the ideas.

Vanessa

I would like to see a share fair....possibly the attendees  could bring a site or a tool or activity that they have used in the classroom to share. It would be like the ISTE poster sessions but online.

vkajones

Your wish is our command. We will have something similar to this in March. A version of "What's in your bag?"

Vanessa

Wow you are good! Okay now a more difficult request...I would love to see in our webinar confirmation emails a link to add the event to a calendar like gmail. I have seen others do this but it may be too complicated. The reason I ask...I sign up for the webinars but I am too lazy to add to my calendar and then I forget...UGGHH!!

julesfischy

Aren't you currently getting a calendar reminder when you register for one of the events?  That is one of the benefits of the event system. Or are you wanting a choice of what calendar to add it to?

I get the email after I register and then a reminder but I am so lazy that I never put them on my calendar that is synced to my phone. The webinars are at night for me so when I get home then I forget (even if I just read the email that afternoon) unless my iphone beeps that I have a calendar appointment. This is an example of what I was talking about http://blog.discoveryeducation.com/blog/2009/09/08/discovery-education-webinars-2009-2010/ Scroll down to the calendar and select one of the events. There is a copy to my calendar link which will create an appt for you. I can add to my calendar before or after I register....in case I am busy then it is on my calendar to remind me that it is going on and then I can decide if I want to join if I did not register earlier. I hope this makes sense and I am sure I am asking way too much but I think it would help others too.

Another request....It was posted in Engage about common core standards and it had me thinking...this would be a great webinar. Possibly someone working directly with this initiative at their state dept would be a great facilitator???

OK ...another request because I am sure there is no limit. How about having webinars on some of the ISTE presentations for those of us who will not be going? It would be great practice for the STs who are presenting and we would get a first hand look at the content. I am very interested in Doug Adam's gaming presentation - he has some really great ideas.

I like this idea. I am presenting at ISTE and it would be great to share with this group first and get some feedback before we present. If there isn't time we could always do it after.

I would also like to see a webinar on setting up collaborations with other class rooms around the world. I'd be interested in hearing from teachers that maybe have used epals or Thinkquest or any other resource for bringing classrooms together.

dgoodman_1958

Susan,

I love your ideas of Share Fair, Common Core Standards, and the ISTE presentations by some of our Intel folks. I think these are great webinar topics.  Everyone here has so much to share.  There is no way one person can keep up with all that's out there.  I'm looking forward to the Video podcasting webinar later this month.  Although I have done workshops on this, there's always something to learn from someone else. 

julesfischy

Here are suggestions from the survey results of the Senior Trainers. . . .

• iPads ereaders
                                  • Classroom use on collaborative environments Google Docs, etc..., Technology Poor districts.    
                                  • Common Core Standards
                                  • I love learning about the latest greatest web 2.0 that are coming out. I also like to learn about the changes and updates that are made to the web 2.0 programs. I like hearing about projects people are doing with their children. I have enjoyed the webinars where we create a project. I am a little slow and don't want to miss what they are talking about while I am suppose to be creating. I am not as good at multi-tasking.
                                  • Topics relevant to Senior Trainers, to help them become better facilitators        
                                  • More uses of web 2.0 tools in developing PBL with various technology devices.
                                  • Common Core Standards, Using Moodle with Intel Courses       
                                  • Ways to collaborate classroom projects with Intel teachers across the US            
                                  • science, STEM, science and reading, engineering - more, more, and more!         
                                  • I love the webinars and the group does an excellent job of facilitating.
                                  • It would be fun to see webinars centered around one particular subject area. Sort of a project based approach for that subject integrating technology. I don't know, just an idea        
                                  • See Engage Suggestions on webinars   
                                  • PBL/21st Century resources for HS non-traditional courses (ie, FACS, Foreign Language, Industrial arts, etc.)
                                  • iPad
                                  • iPod Touch
                                  • More 1to1         
                                  • Tools and Strategies     
                                  • Elements course overviews      
                                  • collaborations around the world with students and teachers
                                  • Common Core Standards
                                  • Using technology resources for online learning
                                  • Using the online community for group support and training (I know this has been done before but I need an update.)
                                  • Continuing to share community expertise as new technologies come onboard.
                                  • ereaders in the classroom - ipad type devices ideas and successes         
                                  • Tools and the Common Core

Julia, I would love to see some follow up on the online facilitation discussion that we had at Summit.  I can see this as a great platform to learn from those who are successful at this. 

Neil

I think we need a series of content-specific digital resources - by grade levels and content areas.  For example, each month you could focus on a content area - science middle school would highlight things like Gizmos, BrainPop, JASON Project, NASA interactives, science games, etc . . . . Over the course of the year, you could get to many content areas and grade level groups.

JulieSzaj

Our group was thinking that it may be nice to have a webinar on lesson design, where teachers could get solid content on lesson design but also get peer feedback on a lesson they already have.  It could be a series on webinars where the teachers refine and get feedback from peers; almost like a lesson study group.

In line with this idea, a corollary webinar could be "unpacking the curriculum".  So many teachers actually have well-developed curriculum which seems overwhelming when presented as a complete package.  Learning to pull it apart and add flexible steps is beneficial for most teachers.

JulieSzaj

One other suggestion we had was a webinar on CFQ's. This would provide participants access to a recorded "review" to access whenever they get stuck (not that ANYONE gets stuck when trying to create their CFQ's) 

Love that Julie and I never have trouble with CFQs...cough cough cough. I am sure that Glen W would say that I am perfect...LOL! This and other posts are getting me to think along the lines of establishing a series for facilitation and then maybe one for just regular ole teachers. I don't think this would be of interest except for trainers so thinking about cataloging (fabulous librarian word) webinars by audience might be a smart move early on! It was also mentioned later in the post to have content specific ones - very cool but again another ex for why there should be a strand to follow...just thinking.

dadams6@kumc.edu

I know this was covered in 2010, but I'd like to see another webinar on using the Digital Viewer to run a training.

Some of the topics discussed at my table for webinar topics:

1. mobile tools

2. using rubrics for evaluating technology

3.Getting started with Technology in the Classroom

4. Classroom management of technology (rules, regulations, storage, etc)

Bonnie Feather

How about a webinar on the topic of "Principles of Effective Online Facilitation?"  We know this is a big topic, but a succint review of those concepts by an expert ould be fantastic!

~Bonnie

cgardne

Just a question....Is there a data webinar base where we can pull from with previous webinars?  I truly believe that would be a great resource for Senior Trainers if they would like to pull a piece to enhance their trainings.