1 2 3 Previous Next 152 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2013 6:36 PM by dachsies2@yahoo.com

Share your classroom learning environment photo.

ABL classroom.jpg

This is the class room environment in all primary school Government schools ( From class 1 to 4) in state Tamil Nadu, India . Teachers can share their class room environment photos in this discussion.

• 1. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.
          Bonnie Feather

Bergin, I don't have a classroom currently, but I am really glad to see you start this discussion!  I am eager to see classrooms from around the world and perhaps hear a bit about how they are using the Intel Teach program.

How many students are in a typical class where you are from?  Does your school require uniforms?  What is provided by the school and what does the family need to provide?

How long is your school day and week?  Is your school private or public and who goes to school in general?  What is the curriculum core?  What languages do all students learn?

I am full of questions, and I do hope others will post their information and photos as well!

I am a moderator who greets new members to the community.  I believe I will direct new members to your discussion to see if we can learn more about other classrooms!

~Bonnie

• 2. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.

Bonnie madam,

There are 40 children  in a typical class.All the school haveuniforms of their own. Books, mid day meals, learning materials are provided by school. No educatiomal fee in government schools. Fees are collected in self financed schools. The roll of parent is to set proper learning environment in the home. There is no examination for the children studing upto fouth grade. Schools normaly between 9.30 am to 4 pm .In Tamil nadu around 60 percentage schools are government and remaining are aided and self financed.common Curriculum is designed by the state government.The launguage taught are Tamil (Mother toungue) and English .

I will upload photos and documents for the above said activities as soon as posible

• 3. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.
              Bonnie Feather

Thank you very much for responding and answering my questions.  Do most of the students complete through 12th grade?  What percentage of students go on to higher education?  Is there an opportunity for local higher education which is affordable?

What is the goal of your school?

~Bonnie

• 4. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.

In Tamilnadu almost 99 percent of the students entrolled in first standard compleated their 8th grade. 72 percentage of them entrolled in 9th standard. Around 60 percent only go to higher secondary education( 12th grade). After compleating 12 th grade. only 30 percent go for higher education like bachelor degree. Very few (less than 10 percent) go for post graduate gegree.

• 5. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.

world-daily-news-1494.jpg

I saw this photo in a local news paper. Robot taking classes for the primary school children in south Korea. The one metre height robot can  move around the class and interact with the students.There is a LCD monitor in the head portion of the robot through which it transmits the digital content. Please share different types of classroom photos like this.

• 6. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.
                    Bonnie Feather

Thank you so much for sharing about the education system where you are.  I am looking forward to seeing and learning more from around the world in this discussion!

~Bonnie

• 7. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.
                      dgoodman_1958

Hi Bergin,

This is a great discussion thread.  Like Bonnie, I'd love to learn about classroom learning environments across the globe.  I have a few questions to ask after reading the threads on this discussion as well.  Is there a certain age that all students enter school or is there a test that determines readiness?  Is education a requirement for all students?  What do those students who don't go any further in their education typically do if not in school? 

In the 3rd through 5th grade school where I work, our students work with 2 certified teachers who team teach together to teach subjects they are strong in. There is approximately 40 students between them.  Half of the students stay with one teacher to receive instruction in language arts and social studies while the other teacher teaches math and science.  There is a period of time each day that students are flexed according to ability between these two teachers, support staff and tutors to receive specific instruction on objectives they are struggling with. 

Thanks for sharing.  I look forward to hearing more.

• 8. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.

I am from India. The Education system in India is almost similar in all states. There are 33 states in India. My state is Tamil nadu which is the southern most of my country. In our state is teacher pupil ratio is 1 :40. Right to Education act is implemented in our country which is effective from april 2010. According to that act all children in the age group 5 to 14 should be enrolled in the regular school and the PTR should be 1 :30.Quality education should be provided to all children of the above said age group. In Tamil nadu we are introducing one methodology called activity based learning for grade 1 to 4. From 2005 onwards we implemented this methodology through out the state. In this methodology peer group learning is emphasized. The system is purely child centered. I attached a report by S. Anandalakshmy Ph.D on this Innovative method in Tamil Nadu. If you read that attachment you will get a clear picture about this methodology.

Please see the attachment

• 9. Re: Share your classroom learning environment photo.

Dear Madam,

I am kohila,Working as a teacher in India. I want to share my teaching experiences with you. i implement project based learning at my school. My stdents are much interested in it. I attached a few Photos of my students activities.I expect your suggestion on it.Could you?

• 10. Vermiculture
                            Bonnie Feather

Kohila,

Your project seems very interesting!  When I taught 6- and 7- year olds here I had a worm bin in the classroom.  It was very successful!

One thing I found was that the worms did not like spicy or acidic waste.  Chili and citrus- lime, pineapple drove the worms away.  It was a problem for us because the worms were in an enclosed box indoors.  For you, it should not be a problem, as the works can get away temporarily if they need to allow that to change chemical composition.

I see you are composting cow manure.  Is that because there is too much cow waste in the public areas?  Is it because the cow waste needs to decompose in order to become less harmful to crops?  Are you also composting the school's food waste?

I am glad to see the students in your project.  Thank you so much for sharing!

How many students are in a typical class where you are from?  Does your school require uniforms?  What is provided by the school and what does the family need to provide?

How long is your school day and week?  Is your school private or public and who goes to school in general?  What is the curriculum core?  What languages do all students learn?

Do most of the students complete through 12th grade?  What percentage of students go on to higher education?  Is there an opportunity for local higher education which is affordable?

Do the photos show one class, or more than one?  Please tell us more.  I am very interested.

~Bonnie Feather

• 11. Re: Vermiculture

Dear Mam,

Glad to see your reply. I am stunned with your interest...a lot of questions you have raised. Very much glad to share with you.

1.How many students are in a typical class where you are from?

I am from Tamilnadu state in South India.There are 46 students in my classroom.

2.Does your school require uniforms?

Yes. My school requires uniform. It is a co-education school. Boys ans Girls uniforms are differ in colour.

3.What is provided by the school ?

The school provides free text books to all the students ,

free noon meals ( cereals with egg daily )

free uniforms,stationaries,for poor children who live below poverty line.

bus pass (to and fro bus ticket) - is provided to students who are coming to school by bus

Free bicycle for all higher secondary school students ( age group 15-17 )

Scholarships for poor children who live below the poverty line, Scheduled caste ,Scheduled tribes ....etc.

The above mentioned all are sponsored by our Government .

4. what does the family need to provide?

The family need to provide notebooks , sationaries , meal , uniform ,......etc (For students who live above the poverty line.)

5.How long is your school day and week?

Our school stars at 9.00 a.m. and ends with 4.30 p.m.

Interval 11.a,m, to 11.10 a.m. and 3.00 p.m. to 3.10 p.m.

Lunch break 12.40 p.m. to 1.20 p.m.

Monday to friday school working day . Rarely work on saturday.

6.Is your school private or public and who goes to school in general?

Our school is a government aided school. School building and furnitures are provided by the public and Teachers salary is drawn by the government.

7. What languages do all students learn?

Mother tongue , English

Is this enough for you mam ?

Please view my all projects which are uploaded in this site and rate it.Share our interests other than teaching ..(Book reading..etc?)

Watch this PPt on Herbal plants and their uses.

'Share Knowledge'

Kohila

• 12. Re: Vermiculture
                                Bonnie Feather

Thank you so much for all of the information!  I am sorry to ask so much, but I am very interested to see and learn about education in other countries.  It is so good to see the students who are excited about learning and education.

I will take a look at your second ppt soon and let you know how I see it.

Do you use powerpoint in the classroom you showed in your photo?  Is there one computer, or more?

Thank you so much for your time responding!

I taught in a primary classroom for many years, but at this time I travel to many schools and help teachers learn how to use technology better in their instruction.  Many schools here have multiple computers, digital cameras, video cameras, Interactive Whiteboards, document cameras, projectors, and even more.  It is a puzzle to me that we have difficulty motivating students to learn, and yet they have free education with beautiful facilities and excellent equipment.

Teaching as a profession in the U.S. is not a highly respected position.  I am working to change that in my community, but social change is slow and difficult.

If you would like to join in a fun Professional Learning Network, please join Plurk.  If you do, you can friend me there.  I am BKFeather.  I will watch for you.  You can "meet" many other excellent educators who share professional and personal resources.

~Bonnie

• 13. Re: Vermiculture
                                  Bonnie Feather

I have watched your ppt on herbal plants.  I think that this is a student-created powerpoint, right?  They are doing a wonderful project, and this is a good documentation.

I notice that in both of the ppt files, the videos are not showing.  I think you need to "Package for CD" when you are saving the file, so the videos will come along with it. 

You have a true PBL going with the herbal plants project!  Brava!  Thank you for sharing it!  Do the students see the Curriculum Framing Questions?

~Bonnie

• 14. A 7th grade classroom from tamilnadu

A classroom (7th grade) from GMS colachal, Kanyakumari district, Tamil Nadu, India

ALM 1.JPG

1 2 3 Previous Next