25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 11:00 AM by robinsl@gcsnc.com

New Year's Resolutions-2011

dgoodman_1958

It's that time of year!  I have set several goals for myself both personally and professionally for 2011.  Personally, I want to get my house organized; from closets to cabinets to attic.  I have set up a timeline to do this, one room a month ending with the attic by June.  I think that is attainable.  I also want to explore ways to become more healthy which includes diet and exercise.  I will have to make small goals and add others as I am successful.  This has always been a struggle for me. 

Professionally, I want to increase my understanding of global awareness, make global connections and explore ways to move my school in a global direction.  I don't think we have a clear definition of global awareness.  I want to use the book, What Does It Mean to be Global by Rana DiOrio to lead a school-wide project.  I'm still trying to hash out what that might look like.   

These are a few goals I have for 2011.  What are some of yours?

• Re: New Year's Resolutions-2011
          Bonnie Feather

Perhaps several members of the community would like to read the same book and discuss it here!  I'm game!

What's your timeline for this book and creating a project?

Who else might like to join the fun?

~Bonnie

dgoodman_1958

Happy New Year!

Bonnie, I would love to have a group read this book together, planning the project as we go.  My initial thoughts were to begin reading this book school wide beginning in January when we return.  The first few pages are focused on background knowledge and then each page thereafter focuses on a particular aspect of global awareness.  I want to build respect and appreciation for cultures that differ from our own.  I see this as being a year long project that could encompass so many curricular areas as we go, not to mention building 21st century skills in our students and staff. 

I am just beginning to generalize this in my head.  So, I would love to do this as a community project.  I think our community is global enough now that we could build this project together.  What do you think?  Should we do a webinar to brainstorm how this could look?      

I'm in for the collaborative book reading. We could certainly set it up in the Intel environment so we wouldn't have another place to go. Would a forum be best or a wiki? I haven't read the book but it looks interesting. I also would like to work on more world wide collaborations for teachers that I work with and students. I think we can learn so much and we are lucky to have a diverse community here. I teach an undergrad class at our local university and I had 2 Turkish students in my class and I asked them what surprised them most with our university system and they both said how little American students spoke with each other in class as well as with them. They didn't see the f2f socialization and communication with each other that  they have in Turkey. I thought that was very interesting.

dgoodman_1958

Should we set up a group for collaboration on this project with the book being the spring board for discussion, ideas and posible projects?  There are many resources within our community that would help us with this.  We could also use other resources such as LiveBinders or set up a Diigo group to add useful links along the way.  I'd love to get Intel educators from other countries to collaborate with us as well.  We have a few that are participating in our community already and are doing some great things in their respective countries.  What are your thoughts? 

dgoodman_1958

Here's a website that might help me in my resolution to get more healthy.  Maybe it will help someone else as well.  Top 10 Diet and Nutrition Resolutions

Happy New Year!

Bonnie Feather

Aside from the personal health goals I'm working on (described in a response above to Naomi) My main resolution and goal this year is professional.

It's pretty scary and big, and I'm gonna need lots of input from educators I respect, and I'm about to create a separate discussion in the community.  You can join in here.

Essentially, my goal is to change the image of education and specifically the teaching profession in my local community! I believe that we need to attract and retain excellent educators, and to that end, I believe we need to re-think the attitude of teachers not being professionals.  Of course, there are many other cogs in the wheel of our current educational system that need changing as well, and that's one of the ways others can help me: thinking ahead about how it all goes together!

I hope everyone comes in to the discussion and expresses their thoughts.  It's important to me.

What I am most scared of is the inevitable involvement in politics and with politicians.  I'm thinking of them as business leaders, and ignoring that they ARE politicians.  Perhaps I can move in that direction gradually.

So, come on *ovah!*  Let's change the world!

~Bonnie

dgoodman_1958

Bonnie, If anyone can head this off, its you!  I will do my part in helping you in any way I can.  Its the future for all of us. 

blancaedu

"Ovah" Bonnie! If you can't beat them, join them. We need more teacher professionals involved in politics to help them make more educated decisions. It is still surprising to me that boards of education don't need to have ANY educational experience at all. They are not even required to be in classrooms where our students are on the "front lines". Seems odd. Good luck to you. Those are some terrific professional goals.

dgoodman_1958

Blanca, I totally understand where you're coming from.  I would say that half of ours has had no educational experience and we can't get them to visit the schools and we have sent invitations.  We do hold the monthly meetings in the school but that's after hours.  Shouldn't there be guidelines as to who should run for BOE?  Wouldn't that help us get knowledgeable people in the right places.  They make some pretty tough decisions that affect all of us.  What do other states do?  Are others seeing the same things? 

I never really make resolutions because I never follow through so they are unofficial things that I would like to happen...LOL. I would love to beat Glen W with his engage points. How can he have over 3000 pts. That is CRAZY! I only need about 2500 points so I figure it will take me all year if Glen loses Internet connectivity for several months. Who is in for the challenge? Anyone else want to knock Glen out of the running...LOL! Love ya Glen. I am not even sure what the points mean but I was happy to get all my bars filled and be listed as a master!  Seriously, I do have a couple of grant ideas for my school that I will challenge myself with this year. Let's get that grant discussion going again cause I need some resources. (I think Naomi started it).

holmesg

I am game for a book discussion as well.  Deborah do you have a timeline for a discussion?

This year I have decided to push myself to learn more about technology and all of the ways it can benefit students in the classroom.  This means I will have to actively use technology and colloborate with others.