7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 6:57 PM by holmesg

2011 Predictions

dgoodman_1958

I just read with much interest the predictions for 2011 in the Tech&Learning, January 2011 edition.  "Textbooks are Dead! For Real this Time!" is among the first to be listed.  I've thought for years that this was on the horizon.  With more and more textbook companies offering their content on the web, this may become a reality this year.  In my years of experience I've had my share of teacher editions. These bulky books, that I used sparingly, served as reference material as I found more and more resources online to accommodate my teaching in the classroom.  Where do textbooks fit in inquiry based learning?

"Assessment will be Comprehensive and Constant".  This shouldn't be a prediction. It should be happening at this moment in all learning environments.  How are we to truly meet the needs of all learners without constant assessment to guide us in where each student stands in regards to standards?  With all the tools at our disposal, this is easier than ever.  And, many of these tools are free or students have them in their pockets.  What student tools are you finding creative ways to use? 

"1:1 Becomes BYOT!"   My principal and I had this discussion the other day when she shared with me a teacher had taken her son's cell phone.  A creative teacher would make use of the tools.  Schools across the nation are revisiting their acceptable use policies to encourage and accept use of student devices in educational settings.  Has your school or district revised your AUPs to address student devices?  If so, how?

"Content will be free for all, all the time!"  Scott S. Floyd says it perfectly, "If the government provides free education to all, why would we not make the best content available and within easy reach?"  I think this would provide for more equity as we are still a nation of haves and have nots.  Many schools within districts are not created equal.  Some lack highly qualified staff while others lack funding for resources.  What are your thoughts on this? 

I only mentioned 4 of the 10 top predictions listed in this article.  I overwhelmingly feel it is an exciting time to be in education.  Click here to access this article online and read the other 6 predictions.     

• Re: 2011 Predictions
          julesfischy

Deborah- thanks for sharing this article.  I had gotten it electronically and read it to.  After reading your post I was sent a survey regarding my opinion on qualifications for a new Superintendent for the local high school.  I revisited this article to help make sure some ideas on educational technology get addressed as they search for a new Superintendent. 

I also agree that digital textbooks and digital manuals are the way of the future. And as that shift continues I think that we are going to start seeing more an more digital resources. 

Does anyone think a prediction was left off the list?  What about one that made the list- are you surprised it was included?

dgoodman_1958

Julia,

I am surprised that "Testing is Nigh" made the list.  I think testing will begin to change as we move more towards authentic learning tasks.  It's not enough that students can regurgitate information.  Can they reapply what they've learned to a variety of situations? 

I'd also like to know what predictions might have been left off or should have been on the list.  If you have not read the article, click here.

holmesg

Deborah as I read the article and your overview, I reflected on a conversation with a person at DPI.  He said that he had a problem with children having cell phones in school and if he were still teaching, and if a student were to bring a cell phone in his classroom, he would take it and all but throw it away!  The person that I was sitting next to and I stared from disbelief.  The problem is, the people that we hired to supervise our technology are taking "No Child Left Behind" literally.  CIPA to many of them means to block anything that has social, games and any other sites that are global and connect to sites and or resources outside the confines of the county technology walls!  Many colleges in NC has increased the SAT score requirements which means standardized testing as we know it will continue; creativity is still looking through the window. Facebook . . . some schools are forbidding teachers to even have one, let alone collaborate with students in the classroom. . . I am sorry, but until we replace our administrators in key technology positions, I really don't have a positive outlook on the 2011 predictions. However, I am keeping my spirit hopeful and await the time that we can function as a 21st Century school system that goes beyond the 2011 predictions!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  dgoodman_1958

Gail, I certainly understand how you feel.  Luckily I work for a district and principal who embrace the tools necessary to build 21st century skills.  They see problems that arise when using social tools as teachable moments whereas others see them as another reason to block them.  I do hope that leaders such as mine will lead the way and others will quickly follow.  Professional development for those making these decisions are going to be even more important as we begin to implement Common Core Standards. 

holmesg

Deborah,

It is goo good to work with people with a vision . . . you are so blessed to have that opportunity.  It gives you the opportunity to grow as well.  Principals like yours need to provide professional development to show other principals and counties how technology including facebook, twitter, furl and other social networks can be used to facilitate the learning process.  You should consider creating videos on best practices from the administrator's perspective.

dgoodman_1958

Gail, Actually, she has a huge collection of videos on best practices.  She has helped develop the criteria for National Boards for Principals and is currently going through it as a candidate.  One of the videos she had to create was one that shows a picture of your school.  She has collected and created videos throughout the year on best practices that occur within our school.  One of those best practices is using project based learning through the use of Intel developed units.  Almost all of our staff have been through Intel trainings and they use learning teams this year to upgrade other units to PBL units.  She is a strong leader in her field.